Kid reviews for The Rifle

Historical yarn follows the life of a gun.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Kid, 12 years old February 13, 2012

medium well

its a great book but there is some foul language used and it can be boring at certian parts
Teen, 14 years old Written bycrashdolphin December 15, 2011

THE BEST

This book had everything a good book should have..........a begining, a middle, and an end filled with death and sarrow!!!!!!

Educational Value
Teen, 14 years old Written byBeats Me November 15, 2011

Gary Paulsen could do better

As a 14 year old war geek, I did not think this book was very good, it has a bad ending where a 14 year old gets shot in the head, and I don't think it is very appropriate ending. It had its interesting moments but I think Gary Paulsen could do better. But this book does give a good message to check guns if they are loaded which I learned at age 5.

Kid, 11 years old December 13, 2010

great for ages 11+

I think it is a great book for ages 11+ because there is some hard words in the book but everything is spot on.

Teen, 14 years old Written bya1sonew130 April 26, 2010

it is good fr 9+

i love thebook becase i have to do do it in a book report.

Teen, 13 years old Written bywavinghello123 November 12, 2009

The Rifle , my opinion

itss goood , beginning is a bit boring , but very detaileedd . yeahhh .

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written byltosborn April 9, 2008

must read now!

It is necessary to know this book. Cornish McManus has just started his own gunsmithing career. For the next year, he works on an immensely accurate or “Sweet” rifle, working through the night, taking extra care to make the rifle beautiful, making sure there were no flaws. Here Paulsen demonstrates his talent for description of details, focusing on Cornish’s care for the rifle, making such a statement in so very few pages. Soon after the rifle is finished, Cornish decides to sell the rifle in order to raise money for his fiancé before starting a family and thus, it comes into Legend to be John Byam’s hands. When he dies, the rifle is put into an attic and lost for years, and when it is found, will it have a fatal impact on one modern boy? This book is a must read. Paulsen has passed the test of literature for youth with flying colors! His knack for detail is demonstrated by the fact that it is not too wordy, does not bore you and forces you to keep reading, and he fit it all into 105 pages only! If you have a love for reading, and a background knowledge of war and weapons, this is the book for you! The constant atmosphere of death and despair makes it the Lemony Snicket of its time. You will never find a moment of content or pure happiness within its dark and gloomy contents. And yet, that is what draws us, compels us, to read. To see the issues of our fellow man and the despairs of mortal life as we know it, being a pointless existence in the ever expanding reaches of deep space. You won’t want to stop! Here’s to you Gary, on a job well done!