Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Ruins of Gorlan: The Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1

1st in popular series has positive characters, some battles.

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bycvanorder June 22, 2010

Love the series

Both my boys love this series. Great role models and positive messages. Characters are well developed and the story line moves at a good pace.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byNice Mommy November 29, 2014

I really think this is okay for younger kids

I'm usually the first one to say something is not okay for an age group everyone else says is fine. But aside from occasional language and stopping to explain the bullying, we have not found this objectionable for our interested almost 7 year old. It is really encouraging him to read and of course, he wants to be a ranger. The story has finally brought in our resisting 9 year old who thought it would be "boring".

Parent of a 9 year old Written byjuneliz59 August 25, 2010

Love it, sorry the author chose to include some language

Love the story. My son said he couldn't put it down, and I agree! I am bummed that the author chose to put the D-word in about six times -- it really wasn't necessary to the story. For now, though I have decided to let my son read it because of all the positive messages and the very intriguing story line.

Parent of a 7, 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byHousewifespice April 30, 2010

Family Favorite

Love this book! Love the series! We listen to these audiobooks on family roadtrips and everyone enjoys them. Lighter than Lord of the Rings, but destined to be classics.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byHula Gator John May 13, 2010

Perfiect for tweens.

The whole family loved the series. Good role models, team work, counting on others, trust, hoiw to deal with disapointment, delaied gratification. Also beleivable fictional places and likely events.

Adult Written byShaneS 1 April 19, 2015

Awesome book series :-)

I think you should be above 10 there is a little bit of swearing and some violent scences but other than that it is the best sereis of books I've read.

Adult Written bydragonslayer64/ January 31, 2018

Great book

I cant wait to read book 2. One suggestion is that if you like this book you will like the Lord Of The Rings.
Adult Written byMelinda C. April 11, 2018

It’s awesome. No other word for it.

There’s five things that people are looking for in a book. Likable characters, a comprehensible plotline, suspense, humor, and overall just a well-written story. The entire series of Ranger’s Apprentice checks every box. I wouldn’t go as far to say it’s a book for nerds, but there are fascinating technical details on every page. Flanagan did his research, and he did it well. The characters are not overpowered, but have a basic goodness (or lack thereof, for the villains) that make them tangible and likable. The sarcasm is genius. Rereading the series has probably taught me more of how to write than every English class and writing camp I’ve ever taken. The series is long, but none of the details included are overblown or unnecessary, so essentially it’s watching the development of a really lovable universe. There are some characters that I hate with my entire being (even the good guys) but being capable of feeling any strong emotions signifies that you’re engaged in the book. It’s just good. I could read the series more than my 7 times record and never get bored with it, even if I memorize an entire dialogue exchange by heart.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byAmaria S. March 2, 2018

Fast moving storyline

My son kept encouraging us to read these books, and now he’s racing to keep ahead so we don’t read past the book he’s on. I love the (mostly) positive messages, and the fast paced story lines, which keep young readers interested. Without being too deep or overly descriptive, the language used includes advanced vocabulary. The parallels between the fictional setting and real places, cultures and history have led my kids to inquire and research further. On the negative side, there is a fair amount of low-level course language, and as the characters grow up there is more focus on romantic relationships than I’m comfortable with for younger readers.

Adult Written byDarla Beller September 1, 2018

The Shaping of a Boy into a Man

Will is a young boy who is a ward of the castle. He has no parents. When he turns 16 he becomes the apprentice of a Ranger to learn how to watch over the kingdom, discover plots against it, seek out enemies, and keep the peace. Will must learn tracking skills, weapons training with the primary weapons of the Rangers, a saxe knife and the long bow. The Rangers are men of character, integrity, and diplomacy which they pass on to their apprentices. The training is difficult, but serves to teach them the value of hard work and persevering through trials. The adventures are intense and are a bit violent, but it's good that prevails in the battles. The conflicts in the book make it a page turner while the character building aspects support good decision making. I read all 10 books in the series and would read them again! Boys need good role models and this book delivers!

Adult Written byAlina L. April 18, 2018

For anyone!

These books were wonderful! I absolutely loved them. It is a good read for any child with an adventurous spirit. All of my brothers loved these books, and I, a girl, loved them too. Very well written.