Kid reviews for The Scarlet Letter

Classic novel of American religion, morality, and hypocrisy.

Teen, 17 years old Written by_____________ August 29, 2015
Teen, 17 years old Written byDakotahRayne March 13, 2016
I loved this book. It showed how prominent the church was in the early settlements like the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The strength that is shown from Hester Prynne is very inspirational. The only thing I wasn't a huge fan of was the over abundance of description.

Teen, 15 years old Written byEnglishPenguin December 21, 2017

Not a favorite, but profound nonetheless.

The Scarlet Letter, like most Hawthorne works, is a piece on original sin. It's chock full of symbolism, big words, and puritans. So if that sounds fun, great! If not, that's cool. Personally, I found the book to be very smart and full of sad truths about sin and hypocrisy, but not something I would read for enjoyment (Sadly). There is little (if any) questionable content apart from the premise, and I would mainly recommend this for older teens due to it's difficulty rather than it's content.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGrace2004 August 15, 2017

I read the book at 9, and was confused

I read this book probably in third or fourth grade(I am in 8th grade right now) so my memory it's fussy and back then I am pretty naive. And I read it in Chinese, so here it's what I think: I remember it being very religious, a lot about sin and god. Which at the time I am very confused (imagine a 9 years old child in Beijing who knows nothing about religious or history) . So I suppose it would have been a better reading experience if I am a bit older. But I was also a mature kid, which helped a little bit. I have a good memory when it's comes to book, so I still pretty much remember the main plot. And I actually got better understanding of it after studying American history.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKeeperoftheDoe August 10, 2017

A compelling story with great meaning

I loved this book, especially the style of writing. It is a great piece of historical fiction and classic literature. The biggest concerns would be the idea of adultery itself, mentions of witchcraft, and the somewhat cruel punishment of the Puritans. It shows the power of guilt, and one scene mentions hallucinations. This is a wonderful book to read, and it is also good for school papers.