Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Scorch Trials: Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 2

Teens are pawns of evil adults again in violent sequel.

Adult Written bycarthony August 8, 2014

This book gets sadistic A LOT!!!

I loved the first novel in this series, but the second has left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I was unable to finish reading it. The story continues as the kids are further tortured and forced into deadly games by the sadistic scientists. Among the trials they will encounter are moulton metal balls that burn themselves onto the face, and then burn through the neck to remove a childs head. The smell of blood is described, as is the process of the blood pooling out over a characters hands. Another child is struck by artificial lightning that burns the cloths from his body, makes his eyeballs explode, and causes his leg to disintegrate. The blood gushing from the leg wound is vividly described. Then there are monsters that are basically zombies, complete with bloody wounds, rotted limbs, and psychotic tendencies, and cannibalism is included in this. One group of these has hand their noses ripped off, and the fleshy wounds are described vividly. At times it felt like I was reading a Saw novel, which is not something most parents would encourage for their child. The characters themselves have now become flat and under developed and the writing has taken a turn towards the childish. It honestly comes across like Dashner is more concerned with creating more and more sadistic scenarios than he is in developing the core story of survival. Sex is not a problem, but is occasionally hinted at, and the language is still there thinly disguised by the kids own language.

Adult Written byalyssa_is_a_ jock April 3, 2016

The maze runner

This book was about a group of teens and how they had to survive a place called the scorch. Having to do so they came across death and a lot of other things for example cranks, wicked. Cranks are people like us that have a dieses in order to have this disease you would go throw these stages . first is being deeply sick second is having moods swings third is getting furious for everything then the last stage is when you became a crank. Then there is Wicked they are group of intelligent people that do experiments on other people to find a cure from a dieses that they made. When Thomas and the rest fought and tried to hide from those two .while doing that a lot of good people died . In my theory I think the central conflict is Thomas and the others had to kill and hide until they made it out of the scorch and into paradise . I imagined this book being different but it was an amazing book after all learning about how they suffered in there world made me believe we should respect this world if we don't want to end up like them. I would recommend this book to any one who loves to read about death and having to think beyond themself.

Educational Value
Adult Written byN.Kindred January 21, 2015
This was a bit slower than the first but just as good. It was thought provoking in a fun, easy way. This author is a new favorite of mine!

Adult Written bysweetdragoness May 30, 2015

Your judgement

It would really be up to each parent individually. My daughter enjoyed it. It does have some graphic scenes and violence but nothing too over the top.
Adult Written byquincyc October 26, 2014

the can't-put-down The Scorch Trials

The book's entrance is it's strongest asset, having the ability to pull one in and be completely engulfed by the plot. the intrigue and suspense is thick enough to get children entertained without feeling the strain reading often gives to teenagers. Though the book has it's moment of violence, graphically illustrated too, it is fair to allow thirteen year old to read. A better alternatives to the constant violence on television as well as video games.

Educational Value
Adult Written byDarkAgentE April 19, 2018

Dissapointing sequel.

With how utterly awesome the 1st book was, I thought that this one would be better. It's not, It's very disapointing, it drags, a lot, the plot is pretty cool, but the pacing and suspense never match up with it. The book is a very meh sequel, and I expected more, especially because the 1st book was awesome! This one gets a 3/5.

Adult Written byContreras.ac December 11, 2015

Very Good

In my opinion i think that this book was great because theirs this group called the gladers that have to face the scorch. the scorch is a huge place were theirs a big city surrounded by this desert. And the gladers have to face zombies too. And have to face these people because they save other people and turn them into zombies.

Adult Written byTheKidWhoKnows July 11, 2015

the best book i have read

even if their is gory it is still a book that you would want to read because it teaches kids how maybe one day this might happen and it teaches how people can betray you and you can also have friends in a hard time this book is an amazing book and i have read all the book cant wait till the next book comes out