Kid reviews for The Screaming Staircase: Lockwood & Co., Book 1

Exciting ghost-hunter series start is very, very scary.

Teen, 14 years old Written byqueenofdragons October 16, 2019

The Epitome of Good Writing

I love this so much. Honestly, this is probably my favorite series, for a number of reasons. Lucy Carlyle is a strong, well rounded protagonist who is believable and easy to relate to. A problem with a lot of novels, especially for kids is that the protagonist is perfect. They do exactly what they should do when they should do and have an unshakable set of morals. Lucy is a perfectly flawed character. A teenage girl who just wants to get by. She judges people left and right and is stubborn and not very elegant but she does it all in the most endearing way. We also see a lot of growth from her character with her decision making and interaction with other characters, which are superb as well. Lockwood is charming and a bit moody and has this quality that just draws people in and George... well there's so much to say about him. He's hilarious and charming in his own, less flattering way that you can't help but like him. The ending was fantastic in how it tied all the plot points together in a neat little bow but still left you wondering. I never saw it coming even though all the evidence was scattered strategically throughout the book. Overall, this book was fantastic. It might be a little wordy for some people and if you're afraid of ghosts, you're in the wrong place but I recommend this for most anyone who can appreciate a well-written story.
Teen, 13 years old Written byamirakh523 August 27, 2014

Lockwood Review

!SPOILER ALERT!
My second favorite series; second to Skullduggery Pleasant! I love how it is about ghost hunting and takes place in England. I find it interesting how the ghost hunters are around 10 to 16 year old kids and I also really love how it uses real ghost repellent theories, such as salt, iron, and silver. I like how we see through the main character’s eyes and see what it’s like to ghost hunt, not to mention the main character does make mistakes and is not a perfect person.
I find it useful that there is a glossary at the back explaining the types of ghost and what repellent does what. I do not think this is a good book for the easily scared, but it might be a mildly scary book for an RL Stein horror reader [like myself]. However during the Red Room part, it gets a little bit gory, like blood dripping and all that.
I find it more lifelike since they have real life predicaments, such as not getting enough business, being in debt, rivalry with other businesses, and trying to gain client’s trust. I really like how the main characters interact like normal friends and have semi-normal arguments [I can’t really say they have normal arguments, since they are ghost hunters!]. My favorite character is Lockwood, because I love his personality; that is why I love the Skullduggery series, Skullduggery has a similar personality. I am not a romance kind of person, so I am happy to say that there is no romance, well, except for the ghost and the other guy… I think this book is alright for 12 and up readers. I hope this has been a help to you.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySlendernonono1 June 2, 2021

Something for the adults only

It’s violent, dark, dramatic and the crimes genre
With some language

Teen, 13 years old Written byThatBookReader July 21, 2020

My Favorite Series

I think no matter how much I say about this book, none of it will describe how truly amazing it is. The characters are perfectly written but flawed. I had perfect images of this word in my head the whole time I was reading it. The world that is created is so much like our own yet it is completely another. Based in London, you are following the story through Lucy’s point of view. Everything about this world is completely real yet not. I am struggling to describe how truly great this book is. It keeps you up at night under the covers. It keeps you turning the pages to early hours of the morning. Lockwood and Co. is my favorite series. There is some scary bits which is why I do not recommend to a younger crowd. No comment on a website compares to the adventure you will be a part of when reading this book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMunchkinP July 29, 2015

Really good. Like awesome.

I actually like this series a lot better than Jonathan Stroud's other Bartimeaus series. It's exciting, spooky, and full of action. It also, amazingly, has no romance, which is pretty rare for young adult fiction. I say young adult fiction because while the content may be okay for 11 up it's still engaging for teens - the writing flow and vocabulary are excellent. I also like that he doesn't go into spirituality and all that - even though it's a ghost story. Overall, probably one of the best ghost books I've read!
Kid, 10 years old February 24, 2015

Way better than the Shades of London series (and less violent)

This is a great book. Its intriguing, enthralling, and filled with sardonic wit (usually Lockwood's.) Although its not for sensitive readers due to the creepiness factor, it is a great middle grade series (there are two books as of February 2015) and should be in every elementary school library. There is also a bit of language (British slang.)

Educational Value
Teen, 16 years old Written byJare Trivette December 12, 2014

Great Book!

This is a great book for 11 year old and up! It does have some iffy references, but it's great. Occasionally they mention words like Damnit , but that's rare.They also use large words to improve your vocabulary