All teen and kid member reviews for The Sea of Monsters: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2

Kid, 11 years old May 30, 2011

Rick pulled it off again

Amazing book. Teachers about Greak Gods. They all learn about friendship and sticking up for each other. A bully ends up saving a charecters life towards the end. (Read the book if you want to know who) Some viloence, they describe a girl as being as limp as a rag doll when she got hurt, but she was healed later. Someone almost get drownds when the Percy pull them underwater to save them, but he put a air bubble around her just in time. All in all, amazing seris
Teen, 15 years old Written byAwalkeratCSM June 4, 2012

Fast-paced, enjoyable installment in Riordan's best-selling series

Out of all the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" books, this one is my big, long-lasting favorite. Why? Well, first of all, it is the quickest read of the entire adventurous series (first time I read it, took me only a day to finish it). Second, it is chalk-full of rib-cracking hilariousness, gripping fun and never-ending excitement, with an overwhelming cliffhanger to top it all off in the end. And third, I just love the cyclopes that enter into Percy's chaotic, adventure-filled life; two of them come into play in this novel in two very different ways. Percy Jackson, our half-blood protagonist with ADHD/Dyslexia, is back in school for a year before he can return to Camp Half-Blood, a safe-haven for demigods (children of the Greek gods) located in Long Island, NY. After cannibalistic giants interrupt PE class with fireballs, he and his intelligent, resourceful friend Annabeth set out for Camp Half-Blood for safety, where they learn about the great troubles at their camp and the need for a quest to solve them. The rest of the novel is full of the duo's adventures on the way to an island out in the perilous Sea of Monsters, with their best friend, Grover's, rescue from that island in mind. Rick Riordan must be pretty talented to have the ability to craft an exhilirating, myth-filled novel with extraordinary depths into such a short book. He has the powers of a vignette writer: short, direct, and brim-full of meaning. Hardly a word is wasted in the epic story, which further expands on the broader series plot about the uprising of the wrathful titan Kronus, and how the Olympian gods and their half-blood children. His story, however, doesn't just reach to the heart-pulsing tale of the uprising; it shows the coming-of-age of Percy, Annabeth, and all of the major characters (taking all of his novels to do so), and gives lessons of family, love, loyalty, friendship, and so many other things. There are very few negative messages in this novel, and all the villains are usually, in their own ways, hilarious and not very frightening. The characters (the ones that aren't necessarily villains) tend to be very good role models: Percy is courageous and loyal, Annabeth is flawed yet able to get past them and recognize them, Grover is good-at-heart and a true friend, Chiron is wise and long-suffering, and even buff Clarisse, though mean and sometimes unappreciative, will sometimes appreciate and be helpful to Percy and his friends. Not to mention, she is a born, literally, and strong fighter. And even that quality isn't pro-violent, don't worry parents! The violence in this novel is frequent, yet not graphic (all the monsters turn to dust when killed and eventually return to the world at some point in time). Any injuries that are received in the novel are usually quickly healed. There is a d-mn and some name-calling in the novel, as well as some Greek curses, but otherwise not much to be worried about. There is hardly anything in the way of sexual content, except for the fact that probably every half-blood, or demigod, in the novel is an illegitimate child, and that Annabeth has a girlish crush on one of villains in the novel. Complicated! And this is one of the most down-to-earth characters in the novel, going after the way older villain. Well, she is just a teenage girl, I guess I can cut her some slack. No alcoholic content, that I can remember. Trust me, this is a rather clean novel. If you or your child loved Rick Riordan's "The Lightening Thief", they will absolutely love this stunning, memorable sequel. They will be itching to read the next book in the series, "The Titan's Curse", which, I warn you, is both a slight downer and thoughtful installment of this applaudable series.
Kid, 12 years old March 14, 2011

So-so

It was okay. Probably the second worst in the series.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySpencer15 August 11, 2016

Go Percy Go!

Percy Jackson is back and he's better than last time. Sea of Monsters is better than the first book, the characters continue to develop and are still great role models for kids.
Kid, 11 years old July 4, 2016

relly funny

This book is so funny. It has some sirious parts but orer all the funniest book in the seires. The sierous parts allways work out. It has so much packed into it.
Kid, 12 years old April 9, 2016

eh

To quote someone I know, "Only made so there could be a sequel". This is probably my least favorite out of the Percy Jackson & Hero's Of Olympus serieses. I still say you read it because the Titans Curse (the next book) is REALLY good!
Teen, 13 years old Written bynateeulloque February 16, 2016

GREAT BOOK !!!

In the story Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters is about a young boy named Percy Jackson he was ending his 7th grade year and getting ready to go to camp Half-Blood for the summer. But little does he know there is danger at camp Half-Blood and his mom is trying to prevent him from going to prevent any danger that could hurt him.The main characters in the story are Percy Jackson,Annabeth,Grover,and Tyson.They all have to go on a major adventure crossing the Sea of Monster to collect an item that could help not make a major war break loose between the gods.They went through many obstacles such as other opponents wanting the same item that Percy needs to help keep peace with the gods.They also had to go through many monsters such as sea monsters and cyclopes.They overcame those obstacles by having integrity and determination to go on even though it could harm them. I did something similar to that without the monsters and such I went on a scavenger hunt and I had to go looking around for certain items like how Percy and his friends had to.I liked the book Percy Jackson and the sea of monsters. My favorite part of the book was when they were battling the cyclops.My favorite character is Grover because he is always there for his friend and will do any thing to protect them.I think the book is perfect the way it is and it does not need changing.I would recommend this book to some one who likes adventure and Greek mythology.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysoccerbeastykid87921 November 29, 2015

Percy Jackson the olympians: The sea of monsters

Percy jackson: The sea of Monsters!! There was thirteen year old kid named Percy Jackson and his dreams would always tell him strange things about Camp Half Blood Hill. Annabeth, Grover, & Percy went back to Camp half blood and find out that someone has poisoned Thalia’s tree. They are going to have to go on a quest to find the golden fleece to cure the tree and go on a daring sail across the sea of monsters. I can i relate characters in the story because last time when i was playing soccer with my friends against some other friend and i switched teams. That relates to luke because he was part of camp half blood and betrayed them for the team kronos. Luke was daring, energetic, evil, and focused. Therefore, i’m the same in different ways to those adjectives. My opinion if i liked this book is that it was alright. My favorite part is when Percy, grover, Annabeth, and Tyson fought a cyclops; Polyphemus. My favortie character in this book is percy because he is energetic, hyper, adidcted, focus, strong, and fast. I don’t have any least favorite parts of the book because it was a very interesting story to read throught this month. What i would change something in the book is change Percy Jackson to July Aquino because i am a better actor than percy. i would like to not recommend this to other people because it might be offensive because of the beliefs and greek gods but it could not harm so i don’t really know. So if i could recommend this book to a type of person, it would be a person who is a really good book reader and would actually read and know what is happening.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFireIceWolf November 1, 2015

The Humorous Series Continues

I personally think this book was a bit tamer then the first, but that's not to say its completely innocent. Percy now must cross the Sea of Monsters, also known as the Bermuda Triangle to save his friend from being eaten by a Cyclops. The plot twist is that Percy discovers he has a new half-brother on his dad's side, who is a young Cyclops. At first Percy is embarrassed by him but as the book progresses there are good messages about accepting family. One scene has the characters being rescued by zombie/skeleton Confederate soldiers. The logic behind this is that they are from the losing side of the American Civil War, so demigod children of Ares can call in favors as Ares is the god of war in Greek mythology. This may scare young kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTEEHEE40 September 28, 2015

The Sea of Monsters: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2

I like this book because there is parts where you get to know the charters, and there parts where you READ the charters in action. I have not read the first book but I got the feeling where I have read the first book. Why I choose ages 8 and up, because if kids get good grads in school and know how to read a good book I will recommend an other book (I do recommend this book)
Teen, 13 years old Written byTEEHEE August 31, 2015

The Sea of Monsters: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2

I like this book becaues there is parts where you get to know the charters, and there parts where you READ the charters in action. I have not readed the first book but I got the feeling where I have readed the first book. Why I choose ages 8 and up, because if kids get good grads in school and know how to read a good book I will recomment an other book (i do recomment this book)
Kid, 11 years old August 19, 2015

Fantastic Page-Turner!

Once you pick this book up, you won't put it down until you finish it. I couldn't stop reading it and once again, Riordan keeps you laughing the whole time with his awesome humor. I've read the whole series, and if you liked The Lightning Theif, then you'll love the Sea of Monsters. It's the second book of the amazing Percy Jackson series, and readers won't be disappointed.
Teen, 13 years old Written byibarrarosa March 5, 2015

Rick riordan does it again!

Rick riordan once again made his book an amazing adventurous ride for his readers.he continued strongly from his first book the Lightning theif. He made the main character Percy Jackson have a more playful and and adventurous side to his personality. As I read through out the book I thought the story plot was great Percy continues to go on a quest with his freinds which is to search for the Golden Fleece and introduced a new character. The age I think is appropriate to read this book is nine and up. I think this because this book is easy to understand, has no mention of drugs, has no mention of bad language or anything a parent would be concerned of when their child is reading a book they haven't heard about. So I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys these types of stories.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycabin6_demigod October 6, 2014

Sea of Monsters

This is a good book. There was only a few fights and injuries. I think this is the most kid friendly one in the series.
Kid, 10 years old April 26, 2014

Another great one

Rick Riordon does it again in The Sea Of Monsters.This thrilling sequel kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Annabeth,Grover,and Percy are now my official role models! There is little violence and lots of excitement! I LOVED it!!
Kid, 11 years old March 17, 2014

This book is awesome

do yourself a favor. read this now!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDuckCommander13 December 27, 2013

Book 2 could be longer

This was a very good book but was not as long as the first. There is mild violence and good role models
Kid, 10 years old March 30, 2013

Meh, good....the other books were better though

Eh, I liked it....though the other books were better. It's definatly to read. I would skip this book if you wanted to, not much of a contunuation to it, except for the end. Probably my favorite part. It's good enough to read, though be aware for some uh, marrige issues in this book( the boy goat is mistakend for a woman and is about to be married to a boy giant) so if you don't want a kid to come in contact with that don't read it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byFlobear217 November 9, 2012

Mytholoy 101

I started this series in 10th grade and I still had fun reading it! It may have been a little hard at first, but it got easier as each word flew through my mind. The book even got my interested in Mythology, thus I started reading a Mythology book, written for college students. Yet again, I'm only a 10th grader and I still have fun reading the Mythology books!
Kid, 12 years old October 29, 2012

Loved it!

Percy Jackson is one of my most favorite book series' of all time. It is humorous, packed with action, and really interesting. This book was just spectacular. I read it when I was in 4th grade so I think it is fine for ages 9 and up. Percy, Annabeth, and all other characters are great role models. A must read!