Kid reviews for The Secret Commonwealth: The Book of Dust, Book 2

The Secret Commonwealth: The Book of Dust, Book 2 Poster Image

No reviews yet.

Add your rating

NOT A FEEL GOOD STORY, but GREAT WRITING and IMPORTANT FOR FANS of HDM.

This is, as stated above, NOT a feel-good story. The main character is not the best, or not at her best, and the readers will be on their seats begging for her to change until the very last page (which is a cliffhanger). But I do think that it is incredible the way Phillip Pullman put the characters, mostly Lyra, into such a believable and just astonishing way. She has the personality we all know and love her for, but Pullman really gives her that depth of "sad, lonely, and broken", which we all feel sometimes. That DOES NOT GET RESOLVED. AS FAR AS APPROPRIATENESS GOES - This is pretty bad compared to the other books. Though there are frequent uses of swear words, you can skip through that part and be fine. The main character is graphically sexually abused, but if you skip that, you will still be fine. Don't let it stop you from going through with the book. It is still good. I was 9 when I read this, and was okay. Not that a 9-year-old should read it... I recommend MATURE 11-12-year-olds, and probably 13+ is okay. Overall, the writing is spectacular, the plot is original and "spicy", if that's a word I can use. The book is pretty satisfactory in the way of story developments, but it REALLY LEAVES YOU BEGGING FOR THE NEXT BOOK!! Phillip Pullman is my favorite author, His Dark Materials is my favorite book, and though this does not even compare to the originals, somehow it is still "just what the readers needed". Though it sounds unbelievable, I swear it's true. By giving us a story that is not quite what we want, not quite the great-ending, feel-good, simple, and easy story, Phillip Pullman gives a masterpiece that, though is not a great work in its own right, is perfection as part of the never-ending story of Lyra and the amazing inter-worldly story that we all know and love.

dramatic

Parents should know that this book contains many conversations. This book has a lot of language some violence and other kids might not understand the concepts philosophy, violence, and that most of the main characters are adults. over all I enjoyed the book and am looking forward to the next one as it was a captivating tale.

More mature than His Dark Materials

I read His Dark Materials when I was in sixth or seventh grade, and it still is one of my favorite book series, but this book is a lot more mature than His Dark Materials. There is quite a bit of swearing, with way more than in La Belle Sauvage. **Spoilers** The main character is almost raped (It was hard to read, and I'm in high school), and her injuries are described. There is quite a bit of violence, and overall it is way more mature than the previous books Phillip Pullman has written. The book wasn't quite as good as His Dark Materials, but it was fun to get to see Lyra again, and it still was really good. There were a few times when I was annoyed, mostly because Lyra had changed so much from the optimistic and imaginative girl in the original books, and that it ended on a cliffhanger, but overall it is a really good book. I would recommend this to teens who are used to mature language, violence, and can handle a description of someone almost being raped.