All parent member reviews for The Secret Garden

Parent of a 8, 10, and 13 year old Written byAvid book reader February 2, 2013

A book that will engage most 7+ year old girls!

This is a beautiful book which I read aloud to each of my girls when they where 8 years old. Both of them loved it and would beg me to continue reading it. The main character, Mary Lennox, grew up in India. Her parents left her to be raised by servants who would bow to her every whim. After her parents died due to a Cholera epidemic, Mary was sent to live with her uncle. Through the discovery of a secret garden and people around her who care enough about her not to let her always have her own way, Mary gradually changes from a sullen, unhealthy and selfish child to one who cares and loves others. In the process she also helps Collin her cousin who was talked into believing he was an invalid regain his health and desire to live. Truly a beautiful story!
Adult Written bySamiam5 April 9, 2008

LOVED it then, LOVE it now

As a 5th grader, 10 yrs old, this book was an eye opener! I loved it then and am anxious for my 10 yr old to read it. She LOVES books and I never thought of this book until it was recommended! THANKS!!
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8 year old Written byJessicaBurton1980 January 5, 2009
Adult Written byjenny201 March 29, 2012

Life is wonderful if you let it be

I think that this book is really good it was published in 1993. The year i was born i found it in my school library a couple weeks ago i just finished it this week. I m going to do a book report on this book. I really like this book because it shows people of all ages that people can do anything that they put there mind to. And that we can help eachother get better and be better people. We can be nice to people instead of mean and grumpy . It also shows us that life is very importan and beautiful if we let it be. And that if we think negative that were not going to be happy. But if we think positive and enjoy the beauty around us life than we will be very happy. I like this book very mush and I sugest peopel to read it i hope you enjoy the book like I did. (:
Adult Written byMomtotwotoo October 6, 2015

Strong Themes of Death and Parental Abandonment and Neglect

I recently read this with my advanced 5yo daughter. While she liked the book, and found it readable and easy to follow -the abridged version we read doesn't have many complicated metaphors or inferred settings- I was quite surprised by the emphasis on death and neglect in the book. It opens plainly stating that the main character, Mary, is not wanted by either of her parents. That cheery note is immediately followed by Mary's entire household dying from what I assume to be cholera or the like, while the little girl spends at least a day, likely more, alone in a room. She is subsequently shipped off to two households of strangers, and finally meets a boy of her age who spends a lot of time talking about not growing up, having a fatal illness, his mother's death, and how his father doesn't like him. All that said, my daughter didn't seem phased by these details and happily finished the book. My guess is that she is too young to fully process the implications and nature of neglect, parental abandonment, and untimely death. I do, however, have friends whose young children would have nightmares, anxiety, and ask endless questions about death if they were introduced to this book too early. If you are thinking of reading this to your young child, and you know they are sensitive, I would encourage you to read the book ahead first. I have also heard that different editions of this book are more specific than others about the darker parts of this book, so you may be able to find a more child friendly version than I have.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bydulciew January 30, 2015

Such a great book

I loved this book when I was a kid. It is one of the few that I remember reading over and over. I read this out loud to my 5-year-old daughter and she was rapt. The notion of a "secret garden" really resonates with children. The opening chapter may be a bit disarming for some children because everyone in the main character's life dies from cholera or flees for their lives and she is left alone. I explained that cholera is not something that we deal with anymore, and that solved that. A more fearful or sensitive kid might be more bothered.
Parent Written byCatherinedanjou December 6, 2015

I'm7.and i think its' one of the best Books' i've ever read!Dickon changes marry and marry changes colin. This Book is so good!I can't chose a favourite character!I love it so much.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 22, 2012

the secret garden

Families can talk about consideration and neglect. Who does the author hold responsible for the children's bad temperaments at the beginning of the book? Is that fair?
Adult Written bymhbravo303 April 9, 2008