All teen and kid member reviews for The Secret of Sarah Revere

Teen, 14 years old Written bysunnysideup7685 July 9, 2010

Not for Younger Children

I'm fourteen and read this book when I was 11. I love history, especially the Revolutionary War and thought it would be fun to read about PauL Revere's daughter. The WHOLE book is about an alleged affair between Dr. Warren and Paul Revere's wife Rachel. It is well written and Ann Rinaldi does include tons of real facts, but is not for children younger then thirteen.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPrincessPadme123 January 2, 2016

Mother of a ten year old.

My daughter got this book, as she has been wanting it for a while. she loves history and reading about girls in the past. I read it first because, occasionally, there is something iffy in kid's books. there is a mention of Prostitution, and it is a character that is mentioned quite frequently. Also, one of Sara's little sisters, Frances, wants to be a boy, and she dresses in boy's clothing. I do not support the LGBT community, but if you do your child might be fine. Also throughout the entire book there are mentions of an affair between Sara's stepmother and the doctor Warren. It is ongoing throughout the whole book, and there is a paragraph when he comes to their house and Sara's stepmother is breastfeeding her baby, and it says he looks at her in a way he shouldn't. Another thing is that Sara mentions she is on her 'woman's time' talking of menustration. Near the beginning of the book, Sara says when she was younger, she caught her older sister and her 'boyfriend' kissing and he was touching her breasts. These are probably the worst parts, and there is no language, other than "damn" of which isn't awful considering the things out there today. overall, though, it depends on your parenting.
Teen, 13 years old Written byActressofHapiness August 2, 2012

Meh...

I read this book when I was ten. I was too young for it. There are parts where Sarah sees her sister Debby and her boyfriend Amos kissing, and Sarah suspects Dr Warren of being in love with her stepmother. The main problem with this book is that there are too many unanswered questions. And Sarah knows who fired the first shot at Lexington, but the book won't tell us. I guess its trying to be historiclly acurate, but I really wanted to know.
Teen, 13 years old Written byme8888 October 13, 2009

matters on your parenting...

I'm thirteen and just read this book. It was an OK book, but it did mention "women time" in that exact context, and also called someone a whore once. If you shelter your children from life, you might not want them to read about a whore. I was recommended this book by a friend in my same grade, 8, who is still twelve. I think it is appropriate for Jr High students and up. (12 and up)

Good book!