Kid reviews for The Siren

A light, enjoyable read for romantic-fantasy fans.

Teen, 13 years old Written bytizzfizz06 January 14, 2018

Enchanting Story perfect for tweens/teens to understand love...

I cried when reading this book and have read it again and again always being moved to tears. This is the first book by Kiera Cass that I'm reading and I am planning to read The Selection and Happily Ever After due to the lack of detail in mentions of inappropriate stuff for kids my age and modeling great strong relationships. I really enjoyed this book and would reccomend it to anyone and everyone 12+ or any mature audiences above 10. But if you want your hildren to understand this beautiful story thoroughlyi would wait them to be a little older before introducing to this book because it is so deep.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysilverwolf002 February 27, 2016

Moving

This book is amazing. I was actually moved to tears when reading this. It was sad, happy and sweet at the same time. True love.

Teen, 13 years old Written byGiraffesFoevs26 July 17, 2020

AN AMAZING ROMANCE NOVEL FOR TWEENS & TEENS

The Siren is an amazing novel for people who enjoy romance books that are age appropriate. (not to much mushy stuff) So I would say it is a great starter romance novel. I love Kahlen, who is the main character, because she is not like the other sirens, who don't care as much about the families that they lost. The one thing I would have to say is, that It does have some pretty dark themes. Like a baby being killed, drowning people begging for mercy.. Also, one of the sirens had an abusive father, who tried to drown her himself. Oh another thing is that in one small part the sirens go to a bar and there are some drunk people (throwing up) doing stupid stuff. I kinda just skipped that part. Thankfully it is not to detailed. Overall I think that the siren is a great book, and I highly recommend it!

Teen, 16 years old Written byEmalie Taylor May 8, 2020

Was really good, but made me uncomfortable at times.

It was really good!! Exactly what I looked for in a book! It had a few parts that made me uncomfortable:
One siren tells the other "not to wait up" as she goes of with a drunk boy.
One siren says she's shared lots of "fluids" with human men.
One siren mentions she's been in bed with human men before.
The sirens mention how human men find them "pleasing."
A homeless man gets on top of one siren.
One siren says that sirens are always either demonized or sexualized.

Teen, 17 years old Written bygirlygirlygirly March 3, 2020

Teen, 13 years old Written byDepaoli20 September 20, 2019

The siren

This book is amazing it doesnot have anything innapropriate in it but if you like romance and fantasy you will love this book!

Teen, 14 years old Written bykaitlynjw July 30, 2019

Super interesting

This book combines the myth that everyone knows and loves, mermaids, with a romantic, fantasy twist. This book is full of "make you think" moments, bubbly romance scenes, and is just an overall great read!
Kid, 12 years old April 10, 2019

Amazing!

I think this is one of the best books ever! It has Romance, Friendships, and even some struggles the main Character Kahlen is going through. Overall i would definitely recommend this book!

Teen, 14 years old Written byMidnight owl February 20, 2019

Very entertaining

Amazing book full of surprises

Teen, 13 years old Written bybuckahanhan September 20, 2018

Cheesy and flat.

My English language arts teacher made this book sound very exciting, however... I must admit, it disappointed me thoroughly. The cover describes an epic romance novel about a girl who will break the rules to be with the guy she loves. What the cover does NOT tell you is that the book is essentially Kahlen brooding around the house, meeting a guy, and then brooding some more, and eventually falling into a depression and whining until the Ocean lets her off easy. Akinli was a perfect, model boyfriend, with virtually no flaws. The other sirens' traits were cookie-cutter and not explored at all; "Here's the flirty one, here's the artsy one, here you go. Read up". The main character Kahlen was, to be frank, a bit annoying.Few compelling characters, boring plot, and cheesy romance should persuade you to skip this sweet but otherwise lame book.
Kid, 10 years old July 14, 2018

Teen, 16 years old Written byKnija March 11, 2018

An tragic, yet adorable love story

I couldn't put this book down! The story following a girl living the life of a siren who can't speak and falls in love with a human was amazing. The tension and suspense was well written, and I thought that the main character fighting against Her (the ocean's) wishes was very different and interesting. The only thing I thought could use some improvement was the character development of the male love interest. We don't know too much about him, nor the backstory of the other girls a whole bunch. Not even the little girl who became a new addition further on in the story. Although, that most likely was intentional. And it did add a fair amount of mystery. I just felt that the story was missing something. Even so, I recommend any good fantasy, and romance fanatic to try out this book out. 4.5/5 stars!
Teen, 16 years old Written byTheSelectionKitty February 10, 2018

Loved it so much

Im a huge fan of Kiera Cass's The Selection Series, so this was amazing! There are a few kisses, not described, the Sirens have lovers, uses of damn, and of course shipwrecks - obviously. But not gory!

Written byAnonymous December 25, 2016

Heartbreakingly Disappointing | The Siren Review

This is very heartbreaking. I had such high expectations for this book. Really, I did. But once again, Kiera Cass has messed up a book which could have been amazing! *Sigh*

This standalone novel is about Kahlen, a girl who was supposed to die with her family in a sinking ship. However, the Ocean gives her a second chance for life, on the condition that Kahlen serves Her for a hundred years as a siren, singing and causing ships to sink. Eighty years later, Kahlen is still serving the Ocean, along with a few other girls in a similar situation. Then, she meets Alkini and they fall in love with even though it’s forbidden by the Ocean.

"Then everything in my head slowed down. All the time? How was I supposed to manage that? After all the work it took to get through one date, how was I supposed to make it to ten? Or even two?
I watched Akinli, his smile lighting up the crowd, a natural charisma floating around him. This had been special, beautiful even. But it wasn’t sustainable. Eventually, something would rouse his suspicions. Why didn’t I ever get hurt? Why didn’t my weight ever change? Why did I have to disappear at random?
I felt so foolish. In the best version of this, he’d age while I didn’t, and then when my time as a siren was over, I’d forget all about him."

The relationship between Kahlen and her “sisters” is very heart-warming. They all support each other and get along well (most of the time).

"I watched them, marveling at the fact that three such different people, born to different places and times and customs, could balance one another out so well. Even Aisling, when she chose to leave her self-imposed solitude and stay with us for a while, fit like a puzzle piece."

Other than that, I couldn’t really find much that I liked about this book. At the very beginning, the plot was very intriguing. But a few chapters in, the plot started sagging and it was almost impossible to feel interested in reading the book.

Furthermore, Alkini’s character didn’t have much depth. He just seems too good to be true, being so nice and polite all the time, with no dark side whatsoever.

"He ran his hand through his hair, the modern-day equivalent of “Good day, miss,” and pointed at the books. “My mom says the secret to making good baked stuff is to use a warm bowl. Not that I’d know. I can hardly make cereal without burning it.”
His grin suggested that this was only too true, and I was slightly charmed as he bashfully tucked a hand into his pocket."

I also thought that the love-at-first-sight concept was absolutely ridiculous. How the hell could the main character would fall in love (or at least develop a crush on) Alkini from the first moment she saw him? I think The Selection and The Forbidden Library, or perhaps even The Wrath and the Dawn, were much better than The Siren since the main characters and their respective love interests gradually fall in love, rather than develop affection for each other within the very first second.

"First, he was just so, so, so cute! Second, he sent me a picture! I had a picture of a boy that he took just for me, and it felt bigger than anything I’d experienced in the last century."

Besides, the language was very, very plain – too simple and bland for my taste. There weren’t any similes, metaphors, personification, or even any language remotely resembling prose. And so, the final nail in this book’s coffin was driven in and I lost all interest in reading The Siren.

In my opinion, The Siren is not a worthwhile read, unless you happen to be one of Kiera Cass’s loyal fans.