Kid reviews for The Strange Case of Origami Yoda: Origami Yoda, Book 1

Funny, charming tale of middle school crushes, friendships.

Based on 1 review

Kid, 10 years old January 24, 2016

Origami Yoda Rocks

It is a very funny book based on Star Wars with origami instructions. If your kid is into origami or Star Wars I would recommend it:)

Kid, 12 years old October 2, 2016

The kind of book a kid should read

Dwight is a sixth grade middle schooler that is weird and has a strange personality. He has no friends in school which leads him to creating origami for attention. That's when things get mysterious, origami Yoda can predict the future and suggest the best way to deal with tricky situations. Tommy wonders if origami Yoda is real when Dwight himself is clue less. Is Yoda reaching into the force? Or is Dwight really the smart one? Tommy is on the case to find out the truth. This story is interesting and funny!! I would recommend it to many kids that read. After reading it myself i liked it more because of the star wars character created. The star wars related character made the humor and weirdness even better. Which star wars fan wouldn't like an imaginary Yoda in their life? Not only just a Yoda but a future telling Yoda? Over all i enjoyed the book and I would read it again if I had to.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTheAlmightyCastform January 15, 2018

A strange case indeed, lots of Star Wars references.

So, first of all, this book has a LOT of Star Wars references which probably only fans will get (I didn't). The plot centers around a kid who brings to school an origami Yoda out of folded paper, which gives good advice, and his classmates try to figure out whether or not it is magic. SPOILER ALERT: We never do find out, giving this a confusing ending. END SPOILER. This book has many romantic relationships, and it seems every single character is in or wants to be in one, which is cringey. Any positive messages in this book don't apply to real life. Like, "Your friend's finger puppet may be supernatural." This book actually got me into origami, which has become a hobby of mine. The book would have been better if there wasn't so many obscure references to Star Wars. There is also crude doodling in the margins on every page, which can be intrusive to the actual words on the page. If you want to get into origami, go here anyway. This book might be enjoyed by Star Wars fans, and it can be funny, and the characters are relatable to middle schoolers, but overall, it isn't great for people like me who don't know about Star Wars, though origami is great. This book can actually be really funny, like the fact that this book loves amusing running gags. There is still a sense of mystery up until the end. I did enjoy this book.