All parent member reviews for The Sword in the Stone

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byrachelernst.com July 29, 2012

Thick reading, Worth it for a good listener

My son just turned 8 and enjoyed this book, even though I had to explain a lot of things in it to him. Also, it is a more challenging read out loud than to one's self, and most adults would probably have some trouble with it. However, it was worth our time and it has captured this mom's heart. You may want to check into the books by Margaret Hodges such as Merlin and the Making of a King, which is an adaptation of the Arthurian Legend but may be more accessible for the younger children.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byLisette's Mom January 13, 2013

I Loved This Book As A Teen!

I read this work by T.H. White in English class in 10th grade, 30 years ago (edition did not have the illustrations referred to above). It triggered in me a love of any work of literature relating to the Arthurian legend that continues this day. I am not sure what the youngest age appropriate for this book would be, since I read it when I was 15. However, my 12-year-old is a very advanced reader and loves fantasy, myths and legends, so I am going to buy a copy and review it to see if I think she is ready. The element that gives me pause is Arthur's (and other characters') incestuous conceptions. My willingness to give her a copy depends on how sensitively these episodes are treated.