Parent reviews for The Testing, Book 1

The Testing, Book 1 Poster Image

erivative and Unpleasant

Yet another dystopian novel with an unbelievably rigid social structure and a leadership that seems to have unlimited resources available for oppression. The second half of the novel devolves into a sequence of chases and battles that are hard to follow, require a ridiculous amount of suspension of disbelief, and are not particularly entertaining. Only read this if you absolutely loved the Maze Runner and Divergent and would rather read a similar derivative of those books instead of something more interesting in another genre.

It was good

This was a good book. If you enjoy "The Hunger Games" and "Divergent", you get those two mixed together. I really loved it all ever since I read it in 2018. I was surprise by it all and it did have me thinking a bit and yes, I would recommend this book for older kids because some ares may be a little complicated, unless they like that kind of books.

Blown Away!

Woah... this book is amazing! It is a bit disturbing in the beginning, but gets better. It leaves suspense until the final page! Super well written and Joelle Charboneau has created a masterpiece.

Not for my kid!

My 11 year old daughter is mature and an excellent reader. The suicide in this book really disturbed her. My husband and I were disturbed by the fact that parents were compensated for the death of their child. This book was chosen from a summer reading list put together for rising 6th graders. Maybe some kids can handle this, but we see no value in subjecting an 11 year old to teen suicide.

Brilliant

One of my favourite books of all time!