Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Thief Lord

A modern version of the shipwrecked story.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bybob1233221 October 6, 2010

awsome book

Fantastic!! I read it to my 7 year old daughter and i changed the bad words but it was nice and adventorus. READ IT there is about 6 bad words

Adult Written byBryan P. January 9, 2017

Adventure and Thrilling Book

Prosper and his brother Bo run away from there aunts house and go to Venice after there parents death and meets new friends where and a guy who’s name is Scipio and calls himself Thief Lord. When Prosper and Bo’s aunt finds out where they went she hires a detective to find them and take Bo and leave Prosper to an orphanage. Prosper struggles to hide from here aunt. Prosper doesn’t want Bo to go with her aunt, on the other hand his aunt wants Bo to live with her. The theme of this story is friendship. I like this book because it is full of surprises and adventure. In the story Prosper and the gang will always go out in Venice and sell what the thief lord finds for them and get alot of money. I would recommend this book to other people because you will like the surprises that happen in this story. Prosper and the gang fined out that they were betrayed by a friend.

Adult Written byDREYERWA April 9, 2008

SUPERB WRITING!

Excellent story. The publisher recommended reading is Ages 11-15, which is very accurate. Do not deprive the younger ones from hearing the story, should be read by an adult. The story is set in Italy & it incorporates some Italian in the story (the definitions are provided). My daughter really enjoyed it. I believe this is the author's first book & she hooks you into reading all her other books! Highly recommend Inkhear, Inkspell & Dragonrider. Waiting for the next book from Cornelia!
Adult Written bymegcain16 June 16, 2015
This is a very unique, well-written story. However, the story is more entertaining than educational. Although the author does include some Italian vocabulary, the only strong positive message is sibling loyalty. Unfortunately, this book also paints lying and stealing in a positive light, although in a subtle way.
Adult Written byscopingforyou April 6, 2009

Surprising!

I love how this author writes. She is descriptive and makes things interesting. Just when you think this book is headed one way, it takes a turn in the opposite direction. For those who have a problem with the stealing, it's not viewed as okay by everyone in the story, so I don't think it will influence someone to start stealing. I do believe, though, that this book is too complicated for children younger than 8 or 9. All in all, this book was a real page-turner.
Adult Written byBookWormForLife April 9, 2008