Kid reviews for The Throne of Fire: The Kane Chronicles, Book 2

Riordan's usual winning mix of action, mythology, and humor.

Teen, 14 years old Written bynoveleater September 23, 2011

Better than book one!

I wasn't a fan of The Red Pyramid, although I enjoyed it more than The Lost Hero, and I wasn't planning on reading the sequel, but a friend bought me a copy for my birthday, and not wanting to waste a book, I left it for the end, and soon I was opening to chapter one, and was surprised to be very eager to find out what would happen next. I do recommend re-reading The Red Pyramid, because The Throne of Fire was a little bit confusing, (I did end up reading The Red Pyramid again, a little ways into it, but I still stand by about it not being great.) The characters are more real, and relatable this time around. The blend of humor, magic, and action is wonderful. The violence includes some heavy magic violence including a battle with a huge snake; one scene describes a man with gauged- out eyes. Also the story centers on the fact that the world is about to be destroyed. There is some kissing, and crushes are a part of the plot. One god only wears Speedos. The language is present in the random acts of violence scattered through out the novel, only saying su**, and British slang words. I would like to say I like that fact that there is a glossary in the back of the book, which I used a lot. The book has the humor that was missing in book one. The role models were great, and head- strong. The book is well paced and opens real nicely for the third book coming soon. Enjoy!

Kid, 12 years old March 28, 2012

LOVE IT!!!!!

I absolutely adore everything with mythology. If you're like me, this is soooo the book for us! Also percy jackson is one of my favorites. I recommend them both.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJTT-S December 10, 2014

Great book

I love Rick Riordan's books but Kane Chronicles is my favourite set.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 December 16, 2011

GREAT

Educational! Just awesome! People who I know that hate reading are some of the biggest fans of these books. Oh and Sadie. Gotta love Sadie! She tells it like it is! And now begins my long opinion on Sadie's "romances." First, SHE'S THIRTEEN!! That's the problem with American society today, even ten year olds think bra size is the most important thing. And you HAVE to have a boyfriend. What a pile of junk. But anyway, Walt is 16, Sadie is 13. That is two TOTALLY different maturity levels! If a 16 year old boy was crushing on me, I'd run for the hills, only after pepper spraying him. But Walt actually is a good guy. He is meek, considerate, and tactful. Then there's Anubis. HE'S 5000 YEARS OLD! BUT, he lives in the Duat, and time passes differently there, so if he were human, he'd actually would be around 16. And Walt is dying anyway, and I just like Anubis better. I don't know, to me it's like more of a Romeo-Juliet thing with him and Sadie, him being a god and her a human. Kinda went of on a tangent there, but anyway, please read! Great book!

Teen, 14 years old Written byAwalkeratCSM October 13, 2011

Good for ten and up!

Like everybody else, I was excited for the next book in the "Kane Chronicles" series. The moment my birthday presents were all opened, my sister drove me to the nearest Walmart where the first place I went to was the book section, prominently displaying the new arrivals. So, did they deserve all that prominence? I'm still trying to figure that out. But let me first get the newbies to Riordan's piping hot best sellers up to date with things. "The Kane Chronicals", in brief, is about a tempestuous brother-sister team, brainiac Carter and stubborn Sadie Kane, and how they save the world from Egyptian mythology's greatest villain, Aphophis. Throughout their wild adventures, they encounter and play along with ancient Egyptian myths and beings, like the cat goddess Bast and the desert god Set. As with the first book, Riordan bakes a scrumptious cake with a unique, vibrant, adventure cake mix; velvet if you want to have a a texture referring to the flow of his writing and story. Between and around the layers, he frosts it heavily with humor, action sequences, and Egyptian mythology lessons with flair and interest. On top of that, sprinkles crown the cake; sugars of teen love, gem-like rocks with heart-felt descriptions of Adele's 19 and Egyptian tourist stands, and memorable characters. This may look, and taste, like a masterpiece for teenagers who are familiar with Riordan's outstanding writing (The Lightening Thief, anyone?), but for me, though it had much of what it promised, I realized that this here cake was made for ten to thirteen year-olds. We all remember the time when our favorite book from ten years-old just didn't satisfy like it used to for the now-fourteen year-old. I'm afraid that I'm experiencing that change, wishing that Riordan wouldn't treat those poor and "ignorant" mortals like dummies. I mean, some of those screaming people went to Harvard or Oxford! Really, make them the smart ones for a chapter and not the main characters that are "in the know". You see? Evidence that I'm growing up. But not even that can stop me from wanting to see how it will all end. Overall, it is a great story for Riordan fans, 10 & up. Plenty of historical value; a few, and hard to discern, positive messages about caring for your brother or sister no matter how annoying, verbally abusive, mind-blowingly smart, and old they are; I wouldn't consider the main characters to be perfect role models (eh-em, Sadie?) though they do stand up to save the world when duty calls. Now, for the iffy stuff. Killing monsters daily without gore and magical fights; a brief kiss, a growing fancy between the boy main character and another girl who controls fire (wolf-whistle), a girl talks about her crushes on a god and another boy, and last but not least, an awkward moment where a boy comes to talk to the girl main character in her room (no making out). The two main characters call each other names, mostly why I put language down as a concern as to know it might influence your child. iPods and other stuff are mentioned. I'm doing this during study hall at school so better go.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBooks rule February 25, 2012

Good

Another good book by Riordan. Though not as good as the percy jackson series. I recommend this book.

Kid, 9 years old June 20, 2011

teaches you alot about ancient egypt [and modern day egypt]

Teen, 13 years old Written byEli Robertson May 20, 2013

Throne of Fire

I think it has a good educational experiece and a good role model

Kid, 10 years old July 11, 2012

Best.Book.EVER

AWESOME! Such a great book :). Rick has done it again with his brilliant ideas. *SPOLIER ALERT!!* I Like the part when they gamble on Bes's Soul :O.. Great book though. Some Mild violence and spine chilling parts.. But overall, GREAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid, 11 years old September 28, 2011

Amazing

I found it as a great book fell in love it. In the book it has two siblings, Carter and Sadie. They fight a lot but they love each other so much. Sadie is always willing to sacrifice for her brother. Sadie can be harsh and mean but all in all he is awesome and kind loving. Carter can be a chicken sometimes but he will be the leader and be responsible on taking care of his younger sister, Sadie. As much as there is action packed fun and life long messages in this book and the first-The Red Pyramid. It also can be kind of violent with monsters the two encounter on there journey to awake the sun god, Ra. For the reasons I have stated in this paragraph is why I say ON for 9+.

Kid, 11 years old September 27, 2011

woah

how is it that an author can mix humor and action so well????

Kid, 12 years old January 2, 2012

s

THis is educational you can learn about Myths..

Teen, 13 years old Written byEmskater June 30, 2011

Review from a kid that LOVES the book:)

I absolutely love this series! It has great humor between two siblings, and it displays the theme of saving the world masked from younger kids by this humor but its a great book for older thinkers. I read the book at the library and then bought it at the store! It displays the emotion of Carter, Sadie, and all the other characters so well, i recommend it to all ages. ~Note~ it may be on "pause" for ages 7-10. But then, you parents know your children!

Kid, 11 years old June 1, 2011

Good book. Hard to put down.

I just finished reading it and I was sad to stop. I can't wait 'till the next one comes out. It's better then the first one.

Teen, 14 years old Written bywizkid705 May 31, 2011

Brilliant book!

This book is awesome! It's funny, interesting, & a great read. Lots of action and intriguing story lines. The main characters are 12-14, so it may be better for kids around that age, but there is nothing particularly inappropriate. Teaches a lot about Egyptian mythology, has good messages and strong characters. Reading this book was like going into the Duat; you completely lose track of time!

Kid, 10 years old March 15, 2016

Great book!

I honestly think this is one of the best books I have ever read.. Extremely interesting.. Riots an makes reading and learning fun!
Kid, 12 years old November 6, 2011

buy it

it has nothing wrong with it

Kid, 11 years old July 3, 2011

Boring

I'm sorry but it's one of the most boringest books I've read by him. I LOVED the Lost Hero!! But the Egyptian god are really boring and keeping up with the names it confusing. It's a slow book I'm sorry :( stick to interresting gods plz
Teen, 14 years old Written bycarmen99 December 5, 2011

Awsome book!

Teen, 13 years old Written byFantasyFan May 19, 2011
I loved this book! A stunning sequel to Red Pyramid. Rick Riordan works his magic again. :) I've read all the books by RR, including the Percy Jackson series, the Heroes of Olympus series, and the Kane Chronicles- and I'd like to recommend these as well to those who haven't read it. Throne of Fire is an AWESOME book- there's absolutely nothing negative about it. =D