Kid reviews for The Toll: Arc of a Scythe, Book 3

The Toll:  Arc of a Scythe, Book 3 Poster Image

Based on 1 review

Amazing and gruesome

It’s an amazing book but far more brutal than the previous books in the series. The book has many mass killings and vivid descriptions of painful deaths and beating as well as a religious groups mutating themselves. The atrocious acts depicted in the book are by no means glorified but are in fact looked down upon and the characters speak on how terrible the people that enjoy killing are and show that these senseless acts of violence are terrible and should never be pursued. Although at some parts hard to read, the book really opens one’s eyes about what it means to be humans and how ever day and action must be savored.

2 people found this helpful.

4 million out of 5 stars

AMAZING finale to a AMAZING series. The ending is so wonderful and sad. I was in tears. all spoilers belowSPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT Tyger comes back! Yay! Anastasia is rendered deadish for 117 years! Boo! Rand gleans Goddard! Yay! Greyson stays behind on earth! sad ;( Faraday gets depressed! ;( Rowan and Citra fall in love! Really! Yay! Curie does NOT come back! BOO!!! Curate Mendoza gets what he deserves! :) More people die! ;/ People get on a rocket ship! :) Astrid is alone and depressed! :( BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IS AWESOME!!!

1 person found this helpful.

Great, but not as good as the first two.

While it's true that the others are better, this is still good. My biggest complaint is that it is far too long. About the content, it has lots of violence, a decent amount of language, and a few references of which I won't elaborate further. Anyway, it is still undoubtably worth a read.

The Best series I've ever read

This trilogy was amazing. It might be a bit confronting to younger readers, as there is a lot of blood and violence.

Satisfying ending but not as interesting as the other 2

The ending for the book was interesting but it wasn't as intersting as the first 2 book; the violence in here is not that violent (as mean: not too grisly description) but with a high kill count. This book was amazing to read with a very interesting plot. I must say though, the beginning was a slow start and I thought it would be like that for the rest of the book; turned out I was wrong, still interesting and exciting. 13+ should be able to handle all the violence/language. A satisfying ending.

A nice ending

I feel that this book was a very meaningful end to the scythe series. There are many thought provoking themes and philosophical questions throughout the book that make it more enjoyable than your average dystopian young adult book. As for age rating- there isn't really a lot of inappropriate content in this book. There are a few references to things like 'shedding clothes' that most kids wont get. There is a lot of violence, but what else would you expect from a book about death? I don't remember anything too graphic, but overall I think that the value of this book outweighs the very few inappropriate things by far.

Confusing and not as good as previous books

This book definitely wasn't as good as the previous two books. It was really confusing, as the timeline picked up from where The Thunderhead ended, but then jumped around a lot. I didn't like it nearly as much as Scythe and Thunderhead, but it was still good. Another thing that bothered me was that this book seemed to focus more on side characters than Rowan and Citra/Scythe Anastasia. It introduced a few more characters, including a genderfluid person named Jerico. The Toll seemed to focus more on Jerico and Greyson (from the previous book) than it did on Rowan (He barely appeared in the story). There wasn't much swearing, a few instances of the s and f word, and a few other mild words. It was more than the other two books, however. There is one instance of two characters sleeping together, although it isn't implied that anything happened, only that they cuddled while they were sleeping. There is a genderfluid character (Jerico) who gets into a relationship with a guy and they hold hands both when Jerico is male, female, and both. There are great role models, and it is clear why the bad people are the bad people. In this series there seems to be a lot of philosophical talk about right and wrong and where to draw the line, which i found really interesting. There is a lot of violence, but if you've read the first two books you should know what to expect. There is more violence in this book but it is around the same type of violence as in the previous books. **Spoilers** As for the ending, I liked it, although I would've liked a big showdown between the good and bad people. I felt like they just ignored the main problem and left the planet, but it was still decent.

Disappointing finale to a good trilogy

I loved Scythe. I enjoyed Thunderhead, although not as much as Scythe. The Toll however is a major step-down in quality. It drags on as you read it. There are several new characters added, none of which are particularly memorable or likable. I felt Rowan got far too little time in this book, it focused more on boring subplots. As far as questionable content goes, this novel was far worse than the previous two. There are more harsh profanities, including usage of the f word. Sexual content is also more frequent in this. Rowan describes having intercourse with Citra. There is a same-sex relationship. As far as violence goes, its more graphic then the other books, but rather similar. If you've read the previous books you probably know what to expect. Lots of murders and several suicides. It begins in the aftermath of a large massacre of prominent characters that occurred in the preceding novel. Some of the twisted religious content involving the Tonists is mildly disturbing.

Entertaining, Thought Provoking, Expertly Planned and Executed

This final installment of an already incredible series left me awestruck. As the first two before it, it challenged me to think about the future of our society and reflect on the current status of humanity. What really sets this series apart is that it is rooted entirely in real history. The events that take place feel like they really could happen in a not-so-distant future. This is both a terrifying prospect and a highly intriguing one. If you read and loved the first two books as much as I did, you will not be disappointed. The culmination of all events from the very first page of Scythe is so satisfying. I got exactly what I wanted without being able to predict the ending and I think that’s awesome. This installment does get a bit more graphic than the previous two in terms of violence and death, but I personally thought it only added to the narrative and none of it was violent just for he sake of putting gore in there. It all served a purpose.

hot 'n spicy

Read it. There's some allusion to "shedding clothes". The violence is over the top, including, but not limited to: The legilazation of genocide, a mass slaughter to cover up a mishap, thousands of innocents being blasted out of the sky, another few hundred are exploded. READ IT. The characters are great, the arcs are awesome, the plot is solid. READ. IT.