Parent reviews for The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle Poster Image

It is interesting but then there is those times when it's really boring.

It is a great book for kids 11 and older maybe, it has a very good choice of words, but it may bore your kids. There is the mention of rum, and it has violence.

1 person found this helpful.

Entertaining story but violent

This book is entertaining and while Charlotte seems to be a good role model the book is a bit violent for young kids. I think it’s more appropriate for 12+\13 year olds. There is some language as others have mentioned as well.

Incredible

I just read this with my 9 year old daughter. She absolutely loved it. She only wishes there was a sequal. It is now a frequent topic of discussion and a favorite in our hearts.

Confession Time: You'll Love This Book

My fifth grade teacher read us this book and I fell in love with it. Charlotte Doyle is thirteen and being groomed to be a proper lady...so why is she being tried for murder? Actually, her journey back to America from an English boarding school didn't start out that way. She believed the suave Captain Jaggery when he told her he was protecting her from mutiny. But once Charlotte gets to know the crew, especially Zechariah, she sees the truth. The men are horribly mistreated and Jaggery has a sinister agenda. Charlotte is a strong heroine willing to sacrifice everything, including her own life if necessary, to help her friends. She learns important truths about her time period's rigid class system and, though she wants to respect her parents, is brave enough to stand up for her new beliefs when needed. She performs exciting physical feats on the ship and stand s up to Jaggery in ways that will make readers cheer. As noted, Charlotte is accused of the first mate's murder and brought to trial. She witnesses severe mistreatment of the crew, particularly of Zechariah, an elderly black member. There is some mild swearing and scenes of characters in peril. Yet most older kids will be ready to navigate this, so feel free to set sail, with a sensitive eye for those who find violence particularly disturbing.

Excellent read for 12 and up!

I picked this book to read aloud to my seven-year-old daughter, and my nine-year-old son ended up listening in and begging me to read more. I loved the book and didn't want to put it down. That being said, I did find that it is pretty violent for younger ages. It isn't overly graphic, but I would strongly caution it for younger ones. Also, there were about a half a dozen mild swear words and using God's name in vain a time or two that I had to skip over as I read aloud. Another parent reviewer cautioned about sexual behavior that isn't age appropriate, but there was absolutely nothing of this kind in the book at all. The captain once kissed Charlotte's gloved hand, and that is truly only thing of that nature in the book.

Charlotte is a true female role model for young girls.

Excellent female heroine who must endure a ship voyage with many dishonest pirates. I bought this book for my 8 year old daughter as her very first chapter book for her book collection.