Kid reviews for The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle Poster Image

Amazing (In my opinion at least)

I personally loved to book. I enjoyed the writing style and the way the characters developed and acted. But, if you are sensitive to violence or language, this book is not for you. Some may also find it boring or melodramatic, but that is more likely a preference and not something with the book itself. I would not recommend this book to a nine year old, but I feel that ten years old is a good enough age to read the book, if you aren't sensitive to what I said before. Also I hate captain jaggery I'm glad he died

1 person found this helpful.

A heartwarming, inspirational book about strong friendships and kindness.

Though it's rather violent for preteens, it has great underlying messages about acceptance and equality. It speaks out against sexist, ageist and racist views, empowering teenagers and definitely showing how even kids can be heroes.

1 person found this helpful.

Thank you to my fifth grade teacher for making me read this

This book has been one of my favorites since fifth grade. It has really important messages about unlearning your own prejudices and not blindly conforming to societal standards. It also may be considered boring by some people but not everyone can recognize good literature when they see it. I would highly recommend this book to literally anyone. But if you are sensitive to violence and murder, then maybe use caution.

True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle: A Book Review

Alright, let's get straight to the point. I thought that this book was going to be entertaining, but it's not at all. As a person who enjoys reading, I found this book to be very boring and not interesting as it claims to be. There is quite some violence, such as references to a man getting his arm cut off, a black man getting whipped to death, and another man getting stabbed in the back. There are also scenes of a young girl falling in love with a 40-year-old man, but eventually, the man starts to abuse the girl for joining his crew. The story is mainly centered around the 13-year-old girl traveling to America, but she's not the best main character in my opinion. She constantly throws tantrums and is self-centered, meaning she only cares about herself. The story is very boring and will make you fall asleep. Would not recommend it at all.

It's Boring And Interesting At The Same Time

Boring at some points and interesting at others.

Ok, I love reading but this book was not good. There was literally no adventure. I turned to the next page because our teacher made us read it. Near the end of the book, it gets good but I wouldn’t bother. I don’t mean to be a negative nelly but noooooooooo. There is some cussing, drinking, and death in the book.
My teacher made me read this book. It starts out a little rough, but I grew to like it. Definitely not a book for younger kids! The book also mentions a lot of discouraging female ideas, which I guess is ok because of the time it was set in. Over all its a classic read that might need to be read quickly.

My Favorite

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!! It has been on my top books for a long time. It's a real page-turner and will have you curled up reading it in no time. :)

Amazing

This book kind of looked boring but its kind of like a pirate adventure. It shows what women can do!

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

great book mild murder great character development