Parent reviews for The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle

The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle Poster Image

Compelling story and characters

We read this book aloud as our "family book" (mama, dad, 2nd and 4th grade boys) and the whole family was captivated. The characters are real and complicated people, and we all felt invested in them. The book has positive messages of empathy and accepting differences, but it isn't patronizing. Content warning: the story deals with the death of a child (not graphically), and bullying.

Sad book ends on a hopeful note

Summary with spoiler: A boy with learning delays is lonely and bullied. His best friend died recently and as the book progresses, Mason realizes that much of the town believed he was the cause. He makes a new friend and together they build a new hide out away from the bully next door. At the end, it's discovered that the bully purposely damaged the ladder which caused the child (Mason’s friend) to fall from the treehouse and die. Despite all this, the book manages to end on a somewhat hopeful note as Mason's unusual, ragtag family find purpose in revitalizing the orchard on their land. Though graded low reading level, content is mature. Includes the death of a child, same-sex parents, bullying, and swear words. Also, the book is written from the perspective of Mason which takes a while to get used to. I almost didn't finish the book because of it.