Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Twelve-Fingered Boy

Exciting, creepy horror adventure tweaks superheroics.

Based on 1 review

No reviews yetAdd your rating
Adult Written byNjones7163 August 13, 2018

Good read with challenging situations

This was a book that I just picked up and read one day, not knowing anything about it or the author. At first I wasnt pulled in due to the candy dealing, but I enjoyed the main character Shreve. As the book progressed I was deeply drawn to it. It explored several concepts of authority abusing their power and what would seem as unfair imprisonment or false adjudication. It also explored the idea that because you are different, some will accept you and some will use you and that you shouldn't care what those who use you say or do. It has conflict with the main character who infiltrates others minds for his and his friend Jack's need, which although they need what they are pursuing, it breaches the conflict of others privacy. At one point the boy realizes a horrible disgusting truth inside a man's mind and feels the duty to take action against it. This book is very well written, and shows that delinquents have the ability to be of benefit to other people and are not just in it or themselves. It is a horror story but not as intense as you would think. Instead it explores the horrors of peoples decisions, less than horrors of the unexplained or paranormal. It is an excellent book and should be read by those mature enough realize some of the underlying messages not laid out in the text. Shout out to John Horner Jacobs for creating a gem among new books that goes against the modern trends in novels these days. I have read the entire trilogy and it is amazing, but to warn you it changes pace and focus a little but still has beneficial key points and underlying morals.

Educational Value