Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Wanderer

Award-winning tale takes risks with storytelling.

Adult Written byCapn Flint April 9, 2008

Sophie and I loved it!

Sophie is not only the main character, but the name of my daughter. We loved this book. Although Sophie's background is somewhat troubling, I rated the social stuff as good stuff because of the way its handled. My Sophie is 9 and a very stong reader. Wait a few more years for kids that aren't strong readers as the format could be confusing. Neither Sophie nor I found it to be a problem and enjoyed having Cody reveal things that Sophie didn't.
Adult Written bylmholtzmann April 9, 2008

Slow moving but good life lessons!

This book was a bit slow moving for both me and my 13 year old son. It was pretty much same old, same old until the end. It did have some good lessons about working together and about the choices we make.
Adult Written byflorida mom April 9, 2008

Teaches about sailing, writing, and living

The Wanderer is a beautifully crafted book about life. There are interesting characters in a changing and challenging setting. This would be a great springboard for journal writing.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byaveryt_m April 9, 2008

Wonderful Read-aloud Book

I read this book aloud to my 11-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter (and 41-year-old husband). It was a very interesting book to read aloud and I enjoyed bringing slightly different voices to Cody and Sophie. My 9-year-old criticized the back-and-forth journal entry styles as confusing but it seemed to intrigue the rest of us. Reading it aloud heightened the suspense about Sophie's past, Bompie's present and the future of the family as a whole.