Parent reviews for The War That Saved My Life

The War That Saved My Life Poster Image

I think that this book shows positive messages and role models. This book also educates kids about the terrible WWII there is one sad death when a man from the war wanted to write a note to his family and died before he could. All and all I think this is a great book for kids nine and up.

11/10

This is a amazing story for kids who wanna learn more about world war 2. there is some common sense in it but if your someone who has read something like this then this is the perfect book I'm 9 and I loved it!

Pretty good

I really liked the story in this book and I think it could be a great tool for teaching about empathy, disability, foster care, family structures, abuse...so many important topics! I wanted to include this in my classroom library but I will not just because of the word “slut.” While that word might be fine for some kids and families, it isn’t okay with everyone so I can’t share it with everyone. On another note, the first few chapters may be difficult for empaths and/or kids with anxiety because of the description of abuse. It does get better though, so know your kid and check in with them to see how they are affected by that.

Some points about previous warnings

I just wanted to say that when the mother is called a slut, it was not about sex, but the historical definition “chiefly British, disparaging : an unclean or slovenly woman : SLATTERN”. Another reviewer talked about subtle lesbianism, but I think that the reader brings that to the story, as it is never said that the character is anything but a best and loved friend. I would have no reservation on either count.

Only Book My 8 year old would read!!

This summer, I wanted my 8 year old to start reading. She disliked all the books that I gave her to read till we found this one. She finished it in about two weeks and she loved it. The only thing, I think parents should know about this book is that the mother abuses her children at the beginning of the story.

insight into life in ww II, particularly on notions of physical disability

The protagonist in the story has a deformed foot, and the book centers around how that was thought of by her mother at the time. Although probably exceptional, there are insights here into some attitudes that are thankfully long gone in modern cultures. The evacuation of children from London during WWII is educational, and prompted some discussion about the conflict with Germany, and the bombings. The main relational narrative is of a single woman in the countryside - who never wanted kids - taking the two waifs in and all of them discovering that they formed an unconventional and loving new family.

WWI story his heart, some violence and teaches you about the war experience of civilians

Really there’s nothing too bad in this. For starters the book talks about that there are some blood in it and mam abuses her child Ada. Plus there is some language including a use of bloody and a use of r****d

Fabulous book, contains war violence

I am very surprised that another reader was concerned about the "implied homosexuality" in this novel. My 9 yr old, who has an aunt who is a lesbian, had no idea that there was any implied homosexuality in this book. This should not be a reason to not include this fabulous piece of historical fiction in a classroom. The concerning parts of this novel for me are issues of extreme parental cruelty and the violence of war. I'd suggest prereading it, if you have sensitive readers. The audiobook is fantastic as well, so, for younger readers, I'd suggest listening to it as a family.

Addictive story.

I read this in 7th grade last year and I think it’s such a great book, I’m pretty bad at choosing books I enjoy to read in my own time. My amazing language arts teacher made our class read this and we’d have to pause at certain pages so we could all be at the same place each week. I never wanted to put the book down though! This book really captures your attention and is super interesting, I love how all the characters are unique and how emotional it’ll make you, I loved this book so much that I got the sequel the next year (for my own enjoyment) and I absolutely love it as much as the first one. Ada is such a great character and you feel proud when she opens up or has little accomplishments. The author also does a great job at setting the scene and mood, as a 14 year old I would definitely recommend this book for other kids my age and younger. The book does have hints that Susan Smith (Adas caretaker) is lesbian and her girlfriend died so she is grieving, I would say that its great to have this in the book because it’s not explicit, it went straight over my head when I read the first book but in the second book I started to put it together. I don’t know why some reviews are saying it’s not good for young readers because of this, I know homophobes exist but we shouldn’t shield children from the LGBT community or alienate the LGBT community. It’s a great book regardless of Susans sexuality. Definitely reccomend - :))