Kid reviews for The War That Saved My Life

The War That Saved My Life Poster Image

I really liked this book!

!!!

I love this book

One of my fav's

I love reading about WWII and this book instantly touched my heart. This is a great book for kids 10 and up.

JUST WOW!!!!!!!!

I have read this book at least 15 times! It has been my favorite book for a while now. It definitely deals with some hard topics but is very well written I have suggested this book for a book group shared it with friends had my parents read and even had my 6 year old brother listen to it. It was a bit intense for him however a year later he says it is a very good book. I would say the age you read it at should depend on how mature the kid is this book is pretty long and for lots of different reading levels as well as interest levels. If you haven’t already I definitely suggest reading it. If it was a test I would give it an A++++++

Brilliant

Ada Smith doesn't know what age she is, her Mam is mean, and she had a really hurt foot that causes her a lot of pain. It is called a club foot. The bottom of her foot is the top and her bones are curled. Her Mam locks her inside because of this, but then, when her little brother, Jamie leaves because of her home (London) is to get bombed, she runs away with him. Still, she doesn't know how to use a bathroom (loo) and takes a great adventures, meating Ms. Smith and a small pony on the way. Great story.

If you’re younger than nine, may be disturbing but its a really good book!!!!!

Ok first, it says 3/5 violence but there is hardly any violence and it’s mostly a great story. The main character is ten and there’s no kissing. (Cue the ‘ew’s)Let’s jump to the point. (I know its the 3rd sentence but its hard to start a review without summarizing the whole book which commonsensemedia already does for you) the only violence in it is when there is a bomb dropped where ada is. Don’t worry she doesn’t get hurt. And for littler kids, they might get scared by her twisted foot. (Sorry, little guys, just letting other people know.) She was born with the foot, but her mother hates her for it. Oh yeah, i forgot. There’s also abuse. Her mother hates her for her twisted foot and abuses her. If you read it I just don’t recommend picturing the words. I’m serious, the violence really isn’t that much. It is about world war, but ada isn’t IN the war, she’s just in her house. Ok thanks for reading this review and I HIGHLY recommend the book.

Iffy

It had a good aspect and perspective of how hard it must have been during that time. From reading the book, I did realize that this sight did not warn me of the words the “mam” used. It would not have been something I would let a nine year old read. Especially some of the vivid details about the men who were hurt in the war. I read this book with the intention of using as an option for my book club, but I was sorely disappointed. The girl is never in a good mood, and while to some extent I can understand. By the ending I questioned, where was the feel-good feeling and aspect I was looking for?!

Such A good powerful story!

I reall think this book is good for any child who feels down. Ada the main character who is 11 is powerful and doesn't find it easy. Her mother abuses her because she is born with a bad foot and is lockedup her whole life until she sneaks away with her brother Jaime because of the war. An older women named Susan adopts her and takes care of her. You get to feel the journey with Ada about what it's like to discover new things after being locked up for so long. I've read the sceond book and I really recommend it. After all, you won't be able to resist leaving Ada to start her second journey alone (it ends of with a good "cliff-hanger' like ending.

One of the best chapter books I've ever read

Awesome book! I like historical fiction, and I think this story about World War II is so great!