Kid reviews for The War That Saved My Life

Abused girl finds courage, family in compelling WWII story.

Kid, 11 years old April 2, 2020
As a lesbian, I didn’t even notice what everyone says is a hint of homosexuality. And if it is, SO WHAT? We need more LGBTQ+ kid’s books! The one thing is that Ada’s mom abuses her, and some of the things she did to her really scared me.

Kid, 10 years old September 15, 2020

Very Hard Topics- A Bit Mature

Ada’s terrible mother forces her to stay in one room her entire life. There is some swearing and also lot’s of violence but it’s not entirely mature. There are great role models and lots of great educational value. I recommend that only kids who can handle hard topics and war life as well as torture and unloving mothers should read this book.

Teen, 17 years old Written byMarth001 July 25, 2020

Really good story

As a 17 year old who started reading this book at 14, I loved it! It’s amazing and I am really happy that the author showed us hints that Susan and Becky used to be in a lesbian relationship. Because representation means a lot to me at least since I am a lesbian. The story is really intriguing, interesting, and one of the few stories I actually enjoyed reading and never got bored of it. Amazing work, I recommend this book to anyone over the age of 6 cause it might be harder for younger children to understand the story.

Kid, 11 years old July 18, 2020

A very good book!

The war that saved my life is a nice and sad story about a girl called Ada who has a clubfoot during WW1. Her mother is cruel to her and never lets her out of the house. She decides to run away with her younger brother Jamie. They meet a lady named Susan who learns to love them like her own children. Ada is so much more happy!

There's the slightest bit of violence a couple of times when the enemies invade. I definitely don't think it's the book for everyone but I enjoyed it. If you're under 10 you probably won't understand it very well.
Kid, 11 years old July 9, 2020

It was one of the best historical fiction books I have read

I love this book! I have read it twice and think that it is the perfect book for kids who want to know about world war 2. The reason why I think you should be a least ten to read this book is because there’s some violence in it that may scare little kids.

Kid, 10 years old June 21, 2020

Touching, Amazing Story

Summary: It is about a girl named Ada who has clubfoot and his been confined to her one-room apartment by her abusing mother. People think she is simple or crazy, but really she just has a disability. When WWII starts, she evacuates with her brother Jamie and goes to live with a nice woman who gives her and her brother proper care.

My thoughts: I am usually more interested in modern adventure stories, but this historical fiction novel was surprisingly good.

Educational Value: It teaches you about WWII and the evacuation of children in that war.

Messages: Never underestimate someone with a disability, it's OK to be yourself.

Role Models: Ada does sneak off and has tantrums, but this is because she was abused.

Violence: Death of soldiers and Ada's mother abusing her.

Sex: Nothing.

Swearing: One curse word.

Consumerism: Nothing.

Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: The soldiers might smoke, but that's it.

Kid, 9 years old May 6, 2020

this book is amazing!!!

this book was amazing! the wonderful book, tells the story from a girl, named Ada, that had a awful mother, that hates her, only because she has a clubfoot. I loved the book because this is a book from the point of view of Ada, who was used to having a little, and ends up, with a great woman to take good care of her and her brother, Jamie.

Kid, 12 years old April 26, 2020

I love Historical fiction novels, and this is literally one of the best I've read!

I read this book at least a year ago, and to this day, I remember that it was so good! I wish there were more Historical fiction books like this one. Ada's mother did some awful things to Ada which could scare younger kids. I guess you can count that as violence, but still, it was a fantastic read. Inspiring, stunning, and sensational book!

Teen, 13 years old Written byexpertbooklover April 18, 2020
One of the best books I've ever read! Parents should know Ada's mum does some not nice things but otherwise it is an amazing book. Wonderfully written! For anyone who likes history and WWII. Very emotional :) Also at one point a bad word shows up but don't let that stop you from reading this amazing book.

Teen, 17 years old Written bygirl_in_the_dress March 10, 2020

Loved It!

I for one adored it! I was in my school library when I saw this book and borrowed. I wasn't expecting the amazing story I was about to read...
it's about a girl with a crippled foot, she had never been outside until all the kids are evacuated from London... She teaches herself to ride and finally discovers the freedom life has to offer. I'm not going to spoil the story for you, so go ahead and borrow or buy it from the nearest libary!

Teen, 15 years old Written byosbornav February 22, 2020

Loved this book!!!

i felt a connection to ada and what she had to deal with because i was in the same situation once, i could visualize what was happening in the book.

Kid, 12 years old January 24, 2020

The BEST book

I read this book multiple times,and read the sequel both are my favorite books it was good to read by myself or great to read as a family ,even with younger kids I would 100% recommend.

Kid, 10 years old January 24, 2020

Inspiring and interesting

This book is inspiring, but also reveals that everyone has their faults, and that you are not alone. There is some violence; Ada's mother is abusive, but ends with a happy ending and a bit of a cliffhanger.

Kid, 11 years old January 3, 2020

Great book

This is a great book that will tell you a bit about war. It is educational, but at the same time it has a story. A story about a girl in the middle of war...

Kid, 10 years old October 8, 2019

Kid, 12 years old August 17, 2019

The War that Saved my Life

This is the best. book. EVER! I read it for a "reading is a family affair" program at the library and I still have the book. I read it every few months because it's literally that awesome!
The book is set in the time of World War II. A girl named Ada who was born with a clubfoot sneaks with the schoolchildren to get adopted for a while because London was getting bombed. Ada grows a lot and learns a lot with her adoptive mom, Susan.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAri_Ravenclaw June 9, 2019

Amazing Take On World War Two

This book is beautiful, it almost made me cry. Ada and Jamie are abused, and Ada has clubfoot. Jamie is going to the countryside and Ada's mother forces her to stay behind, but she sneaks away. Nobody takes them in, so they are given to Susan, a grieving, middle aged woman. The story has lots of perilous and emotional scenes that might frighten younger children. It gives a lot of information on World War Two and what it was like for civilians. The messages are very well done and the characters develop wonderfully. Acceptance,Moving On, Love, Perception, Determination, and many other positive things are shown. I fell in love with this book and you will too!

Teen, 16 years old Written byvladmihaiir June 2, 2019

Kid, 11 years old May 13, 2019

Great Book

This book has a lot to offer. It tells the story of not a little dainty princess that was taken care of everyone, but quite the opposite. This story tells of a girl trying to deal withan abusive mother and change. I recommend this book to older kids and adults.

Kid, 10 years old February 27, 2019

I love this book!

I love this book! I rated this book for the age 10, because, in the beginning there is some abusive beating. I think this book is amazing and you should read it!