Kid reviews for The War That Saved My Life

Abused girl finds courage, family in compelling WWII story.

Teen, 14 years old Written byburntcrumblee December 29, 2020

Passive-aggressively homophobic parents make me so mad

I love this book and I've probably read it over 6 times. It's my one of my favourite books period. It has a lot of suggestions that Susan is a lesbian (i don't know what the other reviews were talking about subtle) and any perceptive child (who has grown up in a household that doesn't shelter them) would pick up on it. It was a little scary when I was little, but as long as you (being a parent or teacher) talk to the kid about PTSD and abuse it will be fine. That being said, WHY THE HECK DO PARENTS SHELTER THEIR KIDS SO MUCH??!! Like, my goodness me this book has (gasp) *whisper*homosexual relationships (gag). Seriously, gay people are not inappropriate for your child but-uh oh-your homophobia is showing.

Kid, 8 years old February 8, 2021

One of the best chapter books I've ever read

Awesome book! I like historical fiction, and I think this story about World War II is so great!

Kid, 11 years old April 2, 2020
As a lesbian, I didn’t even notice what everyone says is a hint of homosexuality. And if it is, SO WHAT? We need more LGBTQ+ kid’s books! The one thing is that Ada’s mom abuses her, and some of the things she did to her really scared me.

Kid, 12 years old May 4, 2021

Brilliant

Ada Smith doesn't know what age she is, her Mam is mean, and she had a really hurt foot that causes her a lot of pain. It is called a club foot. The bottom of her foot is the top and her bones are curled. Her Mam locks her inside because of this, but then, when her little brother, Jamie leaves because of her home (London) is to get bombed, she runs away with him. Still, she doesn't know how to use a bathroom (loo) and takes a great adventures, meating Ms. Smith and a small pony on the way. Great story.

Kid, 10 years old May 3, 2021

If you’re younger than nine, may be disturbing but its a really good book!!!!!

Ok first, it says 3/5 violence but there is hardly any violence and it’s mostly a great story. The main character is ten and there’s no kissing. (Cue the ‘ew’s)Let’s jump to the point. (I know its the 3rd sentence but its hard to start a review without summarizing the whole book which commonsensemedia already does for you) the only violence in it is when there is a bomb dropped where ada is. Don’t worry she doesn’t get hurt. And for littler kids, they might get scared by her twisted foot. (Sorry, little guys, just letting other people know.) She was born with the foot, but her mother hates her for it. Oh yeah, i forgot. There’s also abuse. Her mother hates her for her twisted foot and abuses her. If you read it I just don’t recommend picturing the words. I’m serious, the violence really isn’t that much. It is about world war, but ada isn’t IN the war, she’s just in her house. Ok thanks for reading this review and I HIGHLY recommend the book.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBellaTayler May 2, 2021

Iffy

It had a good aspect and perspective of how hard it must have been during that time. From reading the book, I did realize that this sight did not warn me of the words the “mam” used. It would not have been something I would let a nine year old read. Especially some of the vivid details about the men who were hurt in the war.
I read this book with the intention of using as an option for my book club, but I was sorely disappointed. The girl is never in a good mood, and while to some extent I can understand. By the ending I questioned, where was the feel-good feeling and aspect I was looking for?!

Teen, 13 years old Written bysomebooks April 30, 2021

Such A good powerful story!

I reall think this book is good for any child who feels down. Ada the main character who is 11 is powerful and doesn't find it easy. Her mother abuses her because she is born with a bad foot and is lockedup her whole life until she sneaks away with her brother Jaime because of the war. An older women named Susan adopts her and takes care of her. You get to feel the journey with Ada about what it's like to discover new things after being locked up for so long. I've read the sceond book and I really recommend it. After all, you won't be able to resist leaving Ada to start her second journey alone (it ends of with a good "cliff-hanger' like ending.

Teen, 14 years old Written byStorey07 February 4, 2021

Best book for world war 2 for kids and adults

The main character is named Ada, who is unique because she has a crippled foot. However, she can still do things she not simple or dumb, not even close to supid. Even though her Mam says she cannot. And says Ada ugly foot that a crippled is her fault. But how can it be her fault? Her mama keeps her locked inside their flat because she doesn’t want the world to see Ada foot. And mama shame, which is Ada's right foot. So she’s never been outside or out of the one room flat before in her life . There’s a war and the children are being evacuated to the country. Ada decides to sneak away with her brother Jamie. They end up living in the country with Susan. She treats them kindly like the mother Ada never had that type of love. Ada encounters many challenges along the way. She even started to feel safe for the first time ever with Susan. And even started to trust her. But will she have to go back to mama during the wartime.

Positive message is 4 out of 5. The story set a good message about bravery, courage, trust, and being safe and love.
Positive role model 4 out of 5. Ada is a really positive role model about bravery and courage. She is a fighter for what is right and justice.

Language 2 out of 5. one of bad s words, but not much other alraming language is in there.

Violence is 2 out of 5. There is world war 2 going on but nothing graphic.

Edcation 4 out of 5: Plenty of details about England in the early days of World War II come to life as the characters experience them: blackout curtains, food rationing.

Teen, 14 years old Written bysharktaco December 28, 2020

love it!!!

amazing book, i completely recommend it. people say it has a hint of homosexuality, which is bad somehow? i think the only way it's bad is that it's not more representation! there are some very scary and violent scenes, i recommend talking to your kids about, so they don't feel like if they're scared, the have to keep it bottled up.

Teen, 14 years old Written byalaskaHUG October 18, 2020

uhmmm what?

I can’t believe people are going off on this book considering it’s underlying story of homosexuality. If it is true that that’s what the author was implying then it contrasts even better to mams’ harshness after loosing her loved one never to miss smith’s compassion and it adds a beautiful side story of her losing Becky and healing through finding the story.(if you’ll notice it’s cleaner than a Disney movie they don’t mention her kissing Becky only her missing her dearly after she dies) this is a beautiful story homosexual or not and only adds character to the story and majesty kids feel more accepted for who they are in this world.

Teen, 13 years old Written byx.bookwizz.x October 5, 2020

Amazing!

I read this book in second grade and I loved it. Now i'm in h.s and i still love this book.

Kid, 10 years old September 15, 2020

Very Hard Topics- A Bit Mature

Ada’s terrible mother forces her to stay in one room her entire life. There is some swearing and also lot’s of violence but it’s not entirely mature. There are great role models and lots of great educational value. I recommend that only kids who can handle hard topics and war life as well as torture and unloving mothers should read this book.

Teen, 17 years old Written byMarth001 July 25, 2020

Really good story

As a 17 year old who started reading this book at 14, I loved it! It’s amazing and I am really happy that the author showed us hints that Susan and Becky used to be in a lesbian relationship. Because representation means a lot to me at least since I am a lesbian. The story is really intriguing, interesting, and one of the few stories I actually enjoyed reading and never got bored of it. Amazing work, I recommend this book to anyone over the age of 6 cause it might be harder for younger children to understand the story.

Kid, 11 years old July 18, 2020

A very good book!

The war that saved my life is a nice and sad story about a girl called Ada who has a clubfoot during WW1. Her mother is cruel to her and never lets her out of the house. She decides to run away with her younger brother Jamie. They meet a lady named Susan who learns to love them like her own children. Ada is so much more happy!

There's the slightest bit of violence a couple of times when the enemies invade. I definitely don't think it's the book for everyone but I enjoyed it. If you're under 10 you probably won't understand it very well.
Kid, 11 years old July 9, 2020

It was one of the best historical fiction books I have read

I love this book! I have read it twice and think that it is the perfect book for kids who want to know about world war 2. The reason why I think you should be a least ten to read this book is because there’s some violence in it that may scare little kids.

Kid, 10 years old June 21, 2020

Touching, Amazing Story

Summary: It is about a girl named Ada who has clubfoot and his been confined to her one-room apartment by her abusing mother. People think she is simple or crazy, but really she just has a disability. When WWII starts, she evacuates with her brother Jamie and goes to live with a nice woman who gives her and her brother proper care.

My thoughts: I am usually more interested in modern adventure stories, but this historical fiction novel was surprisingly good.

Educational Value: It teaches you about WWII and the evacuation of children in that war.

Messages: Never underestimate someone with a disability, it's OK to be yourself.

Role Models: Ada does sneak off and has tantrums, but this is because she was abused.

Violence: Death of soldiers and Ada's mother abusing her.

Sex: Nothing.

Swearing: One curse word.

Consumerism: Nothing.

Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: The soldiers might smoke, but that's it.

Kid, 9 years old May 6, 2020

this book is amazing!!!

this book was amazing! the wonderful book, tells the story from a girl, named Ada, that had a awful mother, that hates her, only because she has a clubfoot. I loved the book because this is a book from the point of view of Ada, who was used to having a little, and ends up, with a great woman to take good care of her and her brother, Jamie.

Kid, 12 years old April 26, 2020

I love Historical fiction novels, and this is literally one of the best I've read!

I read this book at least a year ago, and to this day, I remember that it was so good! I wish there were more Historical fiction books like this one. Ada's mother did some awful things to Ada which could scare younger kids. I guess you can count that as violence, but still, it was a fantastic read. Inspiring, stunning, and sensational book!

Teen, 13 years old Written byexpertbooklover April 18, 2020
One of the best books I've ever read! Parents should know Ada's mum does some not nice things but otherwise it is an amazing book. Wonderfully written! For anyone who likes history and WWII. Very emotional :) Also at one point a bad word shows up but don't let that stop you from reading this amazing book.

Teen, 17 years old Written bygirl_in_the_dress March 10, 2020

Loved It!

I for one adored it! I was in my school library when I saw this book and borrowed. I wasn't expecting the amazing story I was about to read...
it's about a girl with a crippled foot, she had never been outside until all the kids are evacuated from London... She teaches herself to ride and finally discovers the freedom life has to offer. I'm not going to spoil the story for you, so go ahead and borrow or buy it from the nearest libary!