Parent reviews for The Water Horse

The Water Horse Poster Image

Based on 1 review

My daughter is almost eight and loved this movie. If you enjoy sharing both fantasy and facts with your kids, believe in discussion after the film, then this is the movie for you. The story centrally takes place during WWII... and there is quite a bit of talk about war. The main character is going through the stages of grief (denial) for his father. There is quite a bit of smoking and drinking, but what is portrayed is accurate for the period. There is a dead stag shown (hunting.) There is a highly intense scene where the water horse (mistaken for a German submarine) is fired upon, repeatedly. The water horse is a wild creature and as such snaps and roars when attacked or fearful. After the movie, we talked about the difference between fantasy and reality, pets and wild creatures, times of war and times of peace and what life was in 1940 Scotland. My daughter said she liked everything except the dead stag. This is a good movie that teaches kids about: letting go, finding courage, and friendship. Parents will enjoy this movie, as well. The acting was terrific and the characters hold your attention throughout the movie.

Intense!

Great book

Loved this book! Read it to my 5-year-old and he was engrossed. I especially like that there are no "bad guys" and no violence. It's just a story about keeping a special creature secret so it stays safe from people who won't understand. I also like it because the protagonist is a resourceful girl (about 8 or 9 years old) with a younger brother (5 or 6) who is there for comic relief. Unfortunately, the movie version switched the role of the siblings so that the boy is the lead and older and the girl is marginal. So read the book--it's better than the Hollywood version, which apparently is based on the idea that boys are so much more suitable main characters that they will change the book for no other reason!