All parent member reviews for The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963

Parent of a 17 year old Written byCheckerz December 3, 2009

this book has cursing and lots of it! example- "I thought i told your jive a$$ to shut the h311 up and enjoy the dam (cant spell it right because it wont let me) cookies!" thats what Byron said to his little brother Kenny! Byron also plays with fire! he does things when his parents tell him not to do it! theres a bombing in a church! DO NOT LET YOUR CHILD READ THIS NASTY BOOK!
Adult Written byHkboo2 January 31, 2009
Parent of a 8 year old Written byClara Grammer May 11, 2010

Able to use this book across the curriculum

My fifth-graders love to study this book at the same time we complete our Civil Rights unit in social studies. It is very funny. Many of my children come from similar socioeconomic groups, so they are able to relate to the children. They are also at a time where peer relations are becoming a big issue, and this story deals with this as well. Credit was also discussed and tied into economics lessons, in addition to inventions (the Ultra Glider, air conditioning, etc. Love the book. You can use it in some many different ways to teach.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bythomas ross October 5, 2010

i love this book it is a very good book and it has a little cussing in it and it has some violence in it like squirrels getting shot by a 22 and a bird dies and stuff like that i would recommend this to a 12 or older
Adult Written byagustina April 14, 2009

Parent Written byAmazing writer January 13, 2012

EXCELLENT....

This is an excelent book with real life characters. The story covers life situations a black family encountered during the 1960's.
Adult Written byevergreen2 March 1, 2010

The Watsons -not ok for classroom

The writing is bad, vernacular irrelevant to modern world, abusive nature of mom in chapter 5, references to Nazis (supposed to be funny), God. Wool Pooh nonsensical to young children. Trying too hard, message of civil rights lost . So many better works out there. Title is misleading. Language over the top for children... "nekkid ladies" p 40; garbage truck full of dead frozen people, teasing; "I'ma gonna hunt you down and hurt you bad" p. 57; Byron kills a bird then vomits; on drive to Birmingham, "if they caught your ass out here like this they'd hang you now"; "what the hell you starin at?"
Adult Written bywatersschool07 April 9, 2008

Great Family Book

This is a great book to read together as a family. It has a great way of showing the dynamics of the Watson family and the issues they face. It is so well written, that you find yourself really becoming a part of this family. It is a good way to explore history and how things were in the South. Told from a young boy's point of view, this story is a must read for families who want to get a view of the past but have some fun doing it.
Adult Written bycmcgalloway April 9, 2008

I teach the 5th grade and I read this to my class. Watch out for the language if you are using this as a read a loud.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byLindsay L. January 2, 2015

I read this book when I was 7-8 and now i'm 22... and still think its great.

I am an avid reader, always have been. For me in order to learn something and understand it I had to read it in a book. (Many different books in most cases.) As an adult that read this book as a child I really think it gave an up close look at racism in first person view without being over the top graphic, although some of the story is worded very strongly. I think it gave me perspective while still capturing my attention with humor and other plot lines it wasn't serious 100% of the time. It really gave an honest look into what family structure was like in that time period, the divide in the south and north with segregation, the violence that occured and many other things. I think this was a great book to read at that young age.
Adult Written byAshley Greene December 2, 2011

ok......

Byron uses minimal bad language but is still a hazard to kids under 10, and is very educational.
Adult Written byyay!!! November 13, 2011

PERFECT FOR ANYONE MATURE!!!!

i am 11 and my class recently finished reading this book.i think anyone can read this book once they are mature enough,so they wont try doing these stupid things i love this book and i think everyone else will too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byvolkswagon May 22, 2010

Adult Written bypopmom February 24, 2010

Great for tweens and teens

This book is good for older kids. It tells life how it really is not how it is in some fantsies. It also has a very good message.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byfuzhoumom February 17, 2010

A Great Novel to help teach about a terrrible time

Parent of a 10 year old Written byVictor-Bryan February 4, 2010

Parent of a 8, 10, and 11 year old Written byBumsters Mom January 13, 2010

Excellent Family Read

The book is funny and extremely realistic. All of my children read this book.
Adult Written bycollegeLady December 3, 2009

laughed the whole time...

Loved this book everyone should read it.
Adult Written byUman1344 December 3, 2009

Good for ages 9 and up

I love this bookit is my faorite.mend my classmate read i but i sayssomcurse words in some parts and there was a bombing.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008