All teen and kid member reviews for The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963

Kid, 10 years old January 30, 2010

Better For OLDER Kids

I didn't like this very much. I think this is iffy for kids age 10. Some of the things in here really bothered me; when the mom tries to burn one of her kids fingers, the personification of the 'Wool Pooh' or whirlpool, the bombing of the church, and seeing a dead girl which the main character thought was his sister among other things. I think younger kids might get freaked out about some of the things that happen in this story.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFSDVNCUJFEVNIU May 15, 2012

Don't Read

The story”The Watsons Go to Birmingham,” isn’t that great of a book. It shouldn’t be for anyone under 10 at least. There is language used by a character in the story (a-word, d-word, s-word, and also Ni****.) The storyline is simple. It’s about a African-American family who lives during the civil rights movement. They make their way to Birmingham. They end up in the middle of the bombing. I won’t say what happened next, if you do decide to read the book. However this isn’t that great of a book. The mother of the kids, tried to burn one of her kids hands, because he disobeyed her. Also the book makes reference to Nazis trying to be funny. The author tries to be funny, but is not.
Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2009

The Watsons Go to Birmingham

Kid, 11 years old February 9, 2013

W0W

I used to hate reading as if it was a chore, but after this book I read a book a week. I even feel like my vocal has advanced all the 2 years ahead. My teacher saw all the advanced books I have read and let me skip 6th grade english! who knew reading one book could make such a diff!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybabykajh May 18, 2009

I Loved It!

This book is in my reading class for a project and it is awesome! Well what I've read so far. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 400000000! Lol. Haha.
Teen, 14 years old Written byxkittehx April 9, 2008
I loved this book. My friend did too, so maybe that's a good thing. I really recomend this to anyone who wants to read a good historical-fiction book.
Teen, 16 years old Written bynaomigaarder February 7, 2013

awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :XD

the book is good and funny
Kid, 11 years old December 22, 2010
Byron says the H-word, the D-word, the S-word, and the A-word in this book. The people also says "Oh my god!" and "I swear to God" a lot which kind of offended me. Also, I don't like how Byron play with fire, cusses, kills baby birds, and punches second graders. Little kids might get upset when Byron kills a tiny baby bird with a Swedish Cremes cookie. Also, I got very worried in two scenes : One was the part with the bombing in the church, and two was Kenny's near-death experience with Wool-Pooh. Great book, but slightly edgy for young readers.
Kid, 11 years old January 19, 2010

Perfect for people age 9 to ?.

Love It ! It talks about people that were bullied because of their behavior, character, and looks.
Kid, 12 years old August 7, 2009

Great for kids 10-14

Great book, read it 8 monthes a go for school as a read-aloud book. Everyone enjoyed it.
Kid, 11 years old April 23, 2012

Lovve It

I love this book it is so funny for language arts we had to do a play off the book and i chose chapter 5 were Byron gets burnt up by Momma
Kid, 4 years old October 13, 2010

Horable for teens and tweens mayby better for adults

IT sucks its sooooo boring i hateted it!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygilgamesh April 24, 2015

best novel

This was a great novel. It had a lot of emotional punch in it but this book could have done less on hjistorical detail and swearing

READY-AIM-FIRE also BREATH TAKING

I think this book is great. Everyone must have taken a big breath when they found out Joetta wasn't dead! My teacher stop right at the moment they were going to tell us if Joey (a.k.a Joetta) was dead. I would give this book more stars if they had more. It was just a breath taking book.Kenny's favorite line to say must have been "ready aim fire" because I know it's mine now. I recommmend this book for all ages up to 12. READY-AIM-FIRE!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMiss Asperger's March 18, 2015

A few swear words

Just a few swear words. Other than that, The book is really good! You should check it out at your local library
Kid, 10 years old February 10, 2014

what i think

This is for kids to order with parents kids should be ten and up should ask parents and have fun on any device
Kid, 11 years old December 16, 2012

TWGB 1963 :3

Great and realistic characters. Educational, too. There is some language, and some violence, especially toward the climax. It carries a slight tint of nostalgia.
Kid, 12 years old October 20, 2010

the best!

i really want to watch the movie i read the book and its almost the best book i read in my life its so real even no its non fiction the book is great and cant wait to watch the movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byavidcritc December 24, 2008

terrific... ish

the book is totally terrific except byron's complete behavioral about-face went way too quickly. when reading the rest of the book, this family was so real they might have been living next door. but byron went from delinquent to understanding older brother in about three pages.

okay for 12+...

I think the worst part in this book is when Byron and his brother are sitting in a tree {K-I-S-S-I-N-G no just kidding} and Byron's brother says to Byron,"how 'bout we do us some cussin'?"