Parent and kid reviews for The Wee Free Men

Delightful but too violent for young kids.

Parent Written byBrian Baier June 19, 2013

Encourages Thoughtfulness and Practicality in Children

When I read this book to my girls, at ages 5 and 9, the older one loved it and the younger was often entertained (especially by the Feegle dialogue). I've now read to them all four of the Tiffany Aching books, which do become more mature as the lead character ages, somewhat similar in that fashion to the Harry Potter books. With a few pauses to explain certain plot points in age-appropriate context, the wit and humanity remain strong throughout the series, and I highly recommend starting here for your own bright-minded children.

Educator and Parent Written byoharring October 21, 2012

FABULOUS read-aloud book for 3rd-5th graders

While it does portray some of the characters drinking and fighting a little bit, it shows it as something that makes them act like idiots and certainly doesn't glamorize it at all. Tiffany is a GREAT role model in that she thinks for herself and doesn't allow herself to be pigeonholed.

Drinking, drugs & smoking
Adult Written bygbeb April 9, 2008
Adult Written byHighnumber September 28, 2015

Humanism 101

This book features a nine year old girl who has decided she wants to be a witch *because* she has seen how her community harasses to death an outcast that they have perceived as a witch. It's a very entertaining lesson on humanism that works for both younger and adult readers, a highlight of the Discworld no matter who you are. The Nac Mac Feegle provide plenty of comedy for young and old and since none of their bad behavior needs to be explained within context (they are consistently viewed as objectively naughty) there's nothing really that's questionable (unless you count Granny Aching's behavior in memories).

Educator and Parent of a 1 year old Written byCindyAnderson47 January 15, 2010

Great fantasy for young adults

For kids that enjoy the fantasy genre, this book is a great read. Tiffany's a great character who ends up on top and stays the course, but is scared and unsure the whole time - pretty much like reality. As always, Terry Pratchett has witty dialogue, strong characters, and excellent comedic timing!
Adult Written byCassi M. January 25, 2017

Absolutely adorable story!

I absolutely adored this book when I was younger, I can't remember my age when I first read it but I was around 10-12. Since the first reading I've reread it another 3 times (the whole series) and still adore it. It's a beautiful story about a little girl who doesn't feel special finding out she has the same special gift as her granny who passed. She has to learn to look out for others and be true to herself. I highly suggest it and am actually getting it for my sister's 9th birthday here in a few months. It's a quick read so if you have any concerns please read it and see how you feel about it yourself. There's a bit of drinking from the "wee free men" but none from the main character fo the little girl. There's also only a bit of violence such as hitting a monster with a pan, but never involving another adult or human.