Parent reviews for The Westing Game

The Westing Game Poster Image

Literally the best mystery novel for intelligent, curious, strong, girls who need more female role models in children's lit!

So I read this novel 32 years ago and had the profound privilege of reading it to my daughters when they were around 7 and 10. We were all three of us, unable to pry ourselves away from this book. The plot is ingenious, the characters are so real and humanely developed and relatable, and best of all, the female characters are tremendous role models. I wish I could give this book 5 baziliion stars. It remains one of the most cherished memories of my children's childhood - discovering this magical novel together.

1 person found this helpful.

Deadly

I'm a teacher from Greensburrow Kentucky who decided to read this book with my gifted learning kids. They are just in the 4th grade, and I didn't want to scare them too much. I also didn't was any sex seens. None of these happened, but this book is alot darker than most adults said. They haven't actually read this book. Not only is it about murder, but it is the most boring book that I have ever read. It only has like 200 pages, but it legitimately took forever. I mean, this is 100% the most boring book ever. I asked all of the kids whether they liked it or not, and none of them enjoyed it. What a shocker! Out of the 13 kids in the program, 4 asked to leave, and 8 failed. I know that the program wasn't hard, the book was just evil. Please do not make the same mistake that I did.

Difficult to Follow

I read this book with fifth graders, and it was very difficult to follow. There are so many characters, we continually had to review who and what we knew about each one. There were several references to drinking and alcohol, bombings, and some sexual innuendo that I did not feel was appropriate for elementary students. It also used the "R" word in speaking of a person with special needs. Overall, I had high hopes for the book being that it was a mystery with such high reviews. However, it fell flat for me and my students.

Couldn't Put it Down!

The writing style is unusual but the story is fantastic. You'll be on the edge of your seat trying to figure out the mystery. Get ready for mysteries within mysteries. There is also a great amount of diversity in the reading both racially and through disabilities awareness, Ellen Raskin was ahead of her time! The characters are given strong personalities that you can feel more and more each time you read about them. This is a wonderful book, probably my new favorite. It is also full of vocab words that are fun for students to learn about.

Please judge by your kids

This can work for young kids. Also may not be appropriate until much older. There are references to finding a corpse early on.... this sounds discounting to most of you, but if your read the book yourself, your can tell your kid -- it's the Westing GAME, and don't worry. My kids, 6 and 8, read (aloud) the Harry Potter) books first. They were not bothered by deaths. One kid was very bothered by main characters getting in trouble like Draco catching Harry in the Slytherin train car. He loves this book. After Harry Potter, I wanted to test mysteries. This was the perfect choice. The negative reviewer either doesn't know when or how to read books to kids. You definitely need to know your child. I tried Harry Potter a year earlier and failed. The Westing Game is a brilliant, well-written mystery. I have read every Agatha Christie and every mystery/thriller author I can find BECAUSE of The Westing Game. You are the judge of when your kids can handle it (read it first, it'll take 3 nights total if you are a super slow reader like me). Please don't give a bad rating b/c your kid wasn't ready. Please judge the books on its merits.

Good book

The westing game is a very good book ! With all the different twists and turns the characters go through throughout the book it makes it more interesting . Especially the fact that it's s murder mystery book . The whole thing starts with 16 people trying to solve the mystery of who killed there friend Sam for the reward of $200 million dollars but one of the 16 might ha e murdered their friend so it's a little tricky to know if they can trust the people around them .The story has no violence except the part where Someone's shin is getting kicked but other than that there isn't any intense violence and there is a part where the characters decide to drink and end up getting a little drunk but other than that this story isn't all negative . The characters aren't just trying to solve the mystery for the $200 million dollars ,we'll at least not all of them , most of them are trying to solve the mystery becuase they want to knowwho murdered there friend Sam. The ending is surprising and shocking and you wouldn't have seen it coming . If you want to read something that will get you jumpy and you don't know what's going to happen next I would totally recommend this book. The westing game is one of the best !