All parent member reviews for The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Educator and Parent of a 6, 9, and 13 year old Written byJayne Smith July 4, 2012

Slightly Gory

Drowning, burning, and hanging not only discussed, but advocated by some of the characters. Fine otherwise. Very fast-paced and involving. Great for kids studying the Salem witch trials.
Adult Written byglamgirlsg May 31, 2010

A wonderful book.

I loved it when I first read it. It may be hard to understand the first time around for the youngsters but once they get it they will love it.
Parent of a 3 and 10 year old Written bytotallfamilygal December 14, 2009

Perfect for kids...9+ younger kids won't understande

My kids...they seem to not enjoy it as much as 'the new' books out. Like Hoot and Porqupine...olden times and GREAT children literature! The viloence is a bit extreme...just war and all, and it's like Shakespear writing...I rate [1-10] this book a 7.5
Adult Written byG3 April 9, 2008

Parent Written byluvmybooksandtoys August 15, 2012

One of my personal favorites.

I have read this book twice since having bought it for my kids. It has complex characters and complex themes of good and evil. The uncle, harsh and uncompromising towards his niece, the female protagonist, becomes just as uncompromising in defending her against spurious charges of witchcraft. The positive message I found in the book was the different ways people modify their initial ideas of right and wrong when they are in conflict with the members of their society in ways that create a richer form of good.
Parent Written byLiterary Mom April 30, 2012

Fabulous book!

This was my favorite novel as a child. I still thoroughly enjoyed it, as did my seven year old daughter when I read it to her (it's not intended for little ones). Definitely read it!
Parent of a 4, 9, and 10 year old Written bymockingbird72 April 19, 2011

Many authentic details describing Puritan life in New England. Very interesting for adults and children who naturally like history. May be a slow read for others. Plot is a little focused on who will marry who and what clothes people are wearing, boys may be turned off by this.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bystoudts March 4, 2010

Excellent writing, great historical fiction, a great educational read aloud

This book is so well crafted -- the author creates memorable word pictures with the words she chooses. We did it as a read aloud for my 2 daughters, ages 10 and 6. The six year old liked the snuggling together, but couldn't follow the book almost at all. The 10 year old is studying colonial America, and it was an excellent supplement to textbook reading. Excellent for discussing different branches of the Christian faith. My older daughter couldn't WAIT to keep reading! If she had read it on her own, however, not sure she would've liked it nearly as much. You have to read slowly to catch some of the subtleties.