Kid reviews for The Witch of Blackbird Pond

1600s America springs to life for today's kids.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 12 April 15, 2019

very boring !!

I would not recommend this book to any young child. It is very hard to keep up with what is happening in the book. I continuosly found myself getting very bored. I struggled to comprehend with what i was reading in this novel. The setting of this book was in a very long time ago. I couldn't find many things to relate in this novel which made me continue to be bored. This book may be better for older people. I read this as a 12 year old and couldn't keep up. The novel may be better for high school aged students
Teen, 17 years old Written byElizabeth Cretchen January 22, 2019

DON'T try to read at all!!! Not a good seller either!!!

This book is really really really really really really really really disappointing. The plot is all messed up and confusing as ever. I read it in a language arts class back in sixth grade and all my classmates voted for the book not to be read again at my middle school. So don't try it. Parents, there's a weird attraction between a girl and a boy and this book will make your kids scared of the gallows and of being a witch. So, don't even try to read it as a bed time story. In my opinion the book causes more nightmares than dreams. If you don't want your kid to have night terrors of hanging, then DON'T read it. I myself had several nightmares about this such book. DO NOT READ IT unless your mature to understand the Salem Witch Trials.

Kid, 10 years old February 26, 2018

Er IDK what to say here XD

Its a pretty good book, it has a bit of romance and drama and discusses violence, but its still pretty good. The characters are engaging and the book is pretty historic. Great for studying and for entertainment :D It has some good role models, like Mercy Wood, a selfless person and a few others. GREAT BOOK :D

Teen, 13 years old Written byMelanie.luvstoread22 January 5, 2018

Great book, better than the reviews say

This is an amazing book, i don't know why it isn't getting amazing reviews. I read this book in class and thoroughly enjoyed it! This book is about a girl names Kit and she is, about 16 i would say (though it never specifies) during the Puritan times, and she moves from her hone in the Barbados after her wealthy Grandfather passes on, to Weathersfield, Connecticut. She moves in with her aunt, uncle, and their two daughters. She immediately is identified as different, after all she has never had to work or do anything for herself. She is drawn to an old widowed Quaker woman named Hannah Tupper. Hannah has been accused of witchcraft, so this creates problems for Kit. If you are going to read this book you should know that there is talk about whipping human beings (briefly) and talk about burning someones house down, but nothing too graphic. There are amazing role models, and is very informative about the Puritan times.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycat_lover_girl101 December 7, 2016

Why I dislike this book.

The writing is very high quality. So is the grammar. Sadly the book and plot itself, are very boring. It's more like a biography. Most of the time you hardly understand what's going on.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBobbyMcSteve September 24, 2016

Very. Very. Very. Very. VERRRY Disapointing.

The Witch of Blackbird Pond is a book about loyalty, friendship, perspective, the clashing of cultures and religion. It is a good read for someone who enjoys Historical Fiction novels, but it did not keep my attention because I am not one of those people. It had good messages behind the story. This book did not captivate my interest, and it involved some concepts that where foreign to me. I did, however, like how the book ended and how it was historically accurate, but I didn’t like how they would make hints at a big climax, but this big climax would never happen. I recommend this book to people who enjoy historical novels, but only those people. This book did not have action, there were hints at romance but it was rare, and it was very bland. It would go into detail on things we did not need detail on and it wouldn’t give details on things that did need details. It was almost like reading a very out of date soup opera. It was a book about an emotional girl, who basically cried through an entire chapter, that seemed to think only about marriage. Katherine Tyler was not a very strong female and that is one of the main reasons I do not recommend this book.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMatan O. June 8, 2015

confusing

How many books are like this.
Sure, I've read books that are confusing
but this one was really confusing

Teen, 15 years old Written byILoveJaretReddick March 14, 2012

dont really like historical books but i think im going to like it.

well im not really sure of what to think of the book right now cuz my class just started reading it. im 15 and i am suuuuch a bookworm. though im not really a fan of historical books as much as sci-fi books, but i think this is a book that im going to enjoy. my fav character is kit cuz she is a feminist and so am i. i think all you people should read it.

Teen, 14 years old Written byclara juicy September 27, 2011

IT'S GOOD AND THERE IS NOTHING INAPPROPRIATE FOR A KID ABOVE ELEVEN BUT THERE IS SOME WORDS A 10 YR OLD OR YOUNGER WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND

It was all just plain good it had me stuck and at first i gotta admit i thought it was boring to much politics and not enough action and trust me i love action but once i started going on I just couldn't stop everything was just positive it was good i asked for my friends opinion and they said at first it was a boring teacher makes you read book but no it is actually really good and if i learned some thing from this book its not just judge a book by its title but never ever judge a book by the beginning cause its just getting started.

Teen, 14 years old Written bygodisgood184 April 30, 2011

great book for tween girls

Great book for young girls though it may not interest young boys so much. Has a brilliant story line as well as good historical facts. Loved it!

Kid, 10 years old April 12, 2011

a great book for 10+

I learned a lot more about the 1600s. Kit stands up for what she believes in although most disagree with her and shows courage throughout the hard times she goes through. I could barely put it down! So PLEEEEASE read it!!!!!!!!

Kid, 12 years old March 14, 2011
Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid, 10 years old June 6, 2010

My opnion

I personaly wanted to read this for a book report, but never did. I think it is educational because the events could happen. I think this just by the 1st chapter. Iwill read this book this summer. Ican't wait!!!!!!!!!Ps my star is just a guess i never read it.

Kid, 11 years old February 10, 2010

No action...

I think it is really good, but the book had no action whats so ever, it was a great book, but was super low on action(trust me, kids like me love action!) It taught us about puritans and quakers in the 1600s

Teen, 13 years old Written bysuper movie reviewer January 2, 2010

a good book but hard to read

the book and the story are good but younger readers (ages 8-11) will find it difficult to read.

Kid, 12 years old October 1, 2009
omg this is suuucchhh a good book!! i coulnt put it down!! it really shows how ppl thought about which craft and its very educational for kids i five it 5 stars!

Teen, 13 years old Written bycatwiz97 August 27, 2009

HATE IT. It was just soooo boring. I'm not a non-fiction or historical fiction person, though.
Kid, 11 years old August 24, 2009

Awesome!!!!!!!

I loved this book!! I read it for a school project and didn't want to put it down!! It had tons of action and it was pretty educational!! It wasn't boring at all!! I would reccomend it to anyone, and would give it an A++!!!!!!

Kid, 10 years old July 7, 2009

PERFECT for kids 10+!!!

I LOVED 'The Witch of Blackbird Pond'! I think this is not a good book for kids under ten because a main boy is put in the stocks, a women treats her OWN daughter like a servant, villagers try to burn down the house of a Quaker because they believe she is a witch, and the main character's life is threatened by a woman's slander. Also the main character says how she had to sell "her" black slave for her passage overseas. This and other parts, like where you learn her Grandpa kept slaves to do all the chores, may seem bad to sensitive readers, but this WAS the time where rich people owned slaves. Otherwise I think it is a good book for everyone - Boys and girls - as long as parents talk to younger children about certain parts.

Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2009

I was Fairly Mind-numbed...

I don't seem to think much at all happened.
She was just an emotional girl (who mainly just cried throughout an entire chapter, which was a bit of a waste for me) that just seemed to think about marriage...it was almost like watching (or reading) an outdated Soap Opera.