Parent reviews for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Original American fairy tale more spare, magical than movie.

Parent of a 3, 5, and 8 year old Written byDeniseArts June 10, 2014

Amazing.

My five year old can't get enough of this book- and the eldest loves it as well. It's so much better and richer and engaging than the movie, we read a few chapters a night, and are sad to see it about to end. It's really, really good. Hard to believe it's 100 years old.

Educational Value
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bymommavanbeek October 21, 2013

Not a book for kids, not like the movie at all.

We stopped reading at Chapter five. Horrible they tell how the tin man became the tin man his ax cuts his arms off legs, his head and then his whole body. Yep so I looked through it more and there is a part where bees are sent to sting them to death. So little creatures are sent to stab them to death with spears which doesn't happen so the with beats the creatures. The book is not child appropriate in my opinion.

Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bySarah F. February 23, 2018

4 year old loved this book

My older son at 4 years old loved this book. He loves things that are a little absurd and a little scary. But, good needs to win over the bad or he's distraught. The first chapter is exciting and fantastic, the tornado comes right away. There are differences between the book and the movie... most importantly the flying monkeys aren't nearly as scary in the book as they are in the movie. This might not be for every 4 year old. The tornado. The story about the tin man's origins. Witches. Creatures that are kept as slaves.
Adult Written bySheillaD November 11, 2018

Nostalgia that sparks imagination

I don't have children, but my mother introduced me to this book just a tad over 50 years ago when I was about 5 years old. I'd seen the movie and then my mother used it to help me develop reading skills and fostered imagination. Because of my mother's help in fostering a love of books and challenging me to read at increasingly higher levels, I read this on my own in first grade. While there are some violent incidents in the book, I see no reason to shield children as it give rise to discuss uncomfortable issues. The themes of goodness far outweigh the violent segments, and can also prompt opportunities for learning and discussion. If I had a child, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz would be one of the first books I'd encourage her to read as soon as a few basic reading skills were developed.

Educational Value