Kid reviews for The Young Elites, Book 1

Taut tale mixes medieval fantasy, mutant powers, great cast.

Based on 1 review

Teen, 13 years old Written byRainbowNova840 July 19, 2015

Marie Lu's books are wonderful!

I read this book within hours! It was amazing! There's some violence, a tiny bit of drinking, and some romance. The romance doesn't play a big part in this book, and there's nothing that's too much for a child. I highly recommend this book and Marie Lu's Legend series!
Teen, 13 years old Written byEmberdragon March 29, 2015

Good, but...

The over all story was nice, all about fighting the darkness inside of you, but even then it was still very dark. There is mention of a "consort" and a moment where is gives you a clear idea of what the guys job is. which i though was wrong. There is a kiss that almost led to more. And in case i didn't say it before, it is very dark. But it is the parents decision.

Teen, 13 years old Written byChloeab12 April 2, 2016

Christians beware

Okay 1: raffaeles line of work makes this an r rated book from the start. and it might not be extremely detailed but it's in there ALOT And2: she makes it appear that there are demons. And she likes them. She craves them. I'm hating myself right now for buying this book. I seriously wish that I didn't but I can't just return a half ways used book:( I highly recommend not letting your child read this Christian or not.

Teen, 13 years old Written bywowwowkiwi August 9, 2017

I could literally write an entire book filled with reasons why The Young Elites is amazing

I thought this was going to be another rip off of the Selection or Divergent, but it really wasn't. It doesn't tell the story about a small town girl who learns to control her powers and saves the world, but instead it tells the story of a small town girl who doesn't learn control, watches her world crumble and then becomes a villain. It's a fresh new perspective to an age old story, and it's an absolutely great read. The world building is great, and Marie Lu really creates a culture for each country and makes everything feel real. I can't put in words how awesome it is. An AMAZING book!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMusicalWhovian October 15, 2017

Why in the world as re y'all flipping out about this

This is your basic teenage read. But outstanding. I'm a fan of Lu's books, and yes I am a Catholic person. But heck why in the world are you upset? It's appropriate in all ways except for a few mentions of consorts, and a small sex session between two characters (nothing more than kissing) that made 13 year old me (I'm 13) a bit uncomfortable. But it's appropriate and not to be missed.

Kid, 12 years old December 27, 2016

Awesome!

This book was such an awesome one.It was intense and dark.The ending was super sad.It may be too dark for younger kids as there are two murders that happen, one pretty gruesome .
Teen, 13 years old Written byMike the reader November 19, 2017

The magnificent book

The thoughts of the main character will be brung to live. There is unexpected twists and you will be curious until you finish the series. There is some romance and a lot of tragidyand action. If you are searching for a powerful language and good sentence .structure, it is not a really good choice.

Kid, 10 years old October 3, 2016

Magic, Fluent, A masterpeice of the century

This book is great. Though there is violence, use of language, and some references to relationships. It is great. The Hunger Games, Ms Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children And Harry Potter together Loved it

Kid, 11 years old March 23, 2017

Awesome book,but pretty dark

This book is AWSOME,but pretty dark.It is pretty violent,but is written amazingly and has an awsome plot.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymackensiee February 26, 2017
The main character is succumbing to the darkness inside of her. Several times in the book, she finds pleasure in the suffering of others. There is also a character who is a "consort," but there wasn't any more romance than what you would expect from a typical YA novel. There was a fair bit of violence, and some deaths.

Teen, 15 years old Written byFangirl02 August 23, 2018

It was okay...

It wasn't the best book I've read by far. There was a lot of darkness in this book. Adelina, the main character in this book has a very evil vibe. Ever since the fever that swept through her country, taking her mother and almost taking herself, her father has abused her and cast her aside, favoring her younger sister instead. The power that she possesses is dark and demonic. She feeds off of the fear and anger or any negative energy that comes from someone to use her ability. It was a little too dark for me so I'm gonna rate this for higher reading levels.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMrava February 14, 2018

Exciting Fantasy Story

Great and independent main heroine, vividly portrayed renaissance Italy-kind of fantasy setting, superbly explained super powers and a diverse, exciting cast of characters. Dilemmas and challenges are exciting to watch, as is progressing of darkness in Adelina Amouteru (main character), but there are some plot holes and at times too simplistic writing. Nonetheless, author's imagination, the setting she creates and the difficulties she put in front of her characters make for a satisfying read. Recommended.