Kid reviews for They Called Us Enemy

They Called Us Enemy Poster Image

Based on 1 review

OUTSTANDING and MOVING novel!!

I believe everyone needs to read this book. The racism and stigma against asians were insane and outrageous, it was something our history textbooks NEVER told us. Such a huge upsetting part of our history, but its something we all need to learn. I cried for hours after this novel, inspired me to make and help for change.

2 people found this helpful.

Good for kids, teaches what needs to be taught

The graphic novel, “They Called Us the Enemy” by George Takei is a graphic novel that you must not judge by its cover, for this book while for some it may seem like just another graphic novel about the horrible things that happened to innocent people reading this will help you see clearly. This story is about George Takei as a young boy being sent to concentration camps, and his experiences as a clueless little boy living in this injustice, not knowing that what was happening was so cruel Body Paragraph 1: Background knowledge/context The topic of this graphic novel is raising awareness. Most people know what happened during 1942 but young adult graphic novels really help “Spread the word” and tell people. “They Called Us the Enemy” is about young George Takei and what his little brain thought of these camps that had become home to him. This book was inspired by George Takei’s life story and made to inform you about the terrible things that happened to innocent people. “Takei said he chose to write “They Called Us Enemy” in a graphic memoir format to reach a younger audience who may not be aware that Japanese Americans were forced to live in camps during World War II.” (CSUF NEWS) The author George Takei and the illustrator Harmony Becker both received the American Book award in 2020 for this book, “Award winners will be formally recognized on Sunday, October 25th, 2020 from 2-3 pm. Congrats to all!” (Lit Hub). The genre or category of this topic is xenophobia and justice shown through the pain and confusion in the pages “They Called Us the Enemy” was a captivating story that was able to teach what happened in a way that made sure that young adults could understand. Seeing just the image below causes me to wonder what happed, why is a mother so distraught simply walking out of her home? I would recommend this book to all who want to learn, or to parents who want their children to understand what happened but make sure things don’t get too intense. Considering this book was almost written by a child it makes everything so much easier to comprehend for small fragile brains. Emthegm, 15 years old from Common sense media says “I believe everyone needs to read this book. The racism and stigma against Asians were insane and outrageous, it was something our history textbooks NEVER told us” Emthegm recommended this book for ages 7+. That age seems understandable. It teaches kids new things but teaches them in a good way. This very positive review was written by a 15-year-old who clearly at age 15 is still learning new things from a book for people half their age. The book “They Called Us the Enemy” is perfect for young adult minds. The panels show only the most critical parts of the story, parts that make you laugh and parts that make you wonder why? Asking these questions constantly keeps you thinking while reading this book. You feel resent for what happened at Pearl Harbor, but then you think that it could be forgiven and that what happened to normal, harmless, innocent, kind people. The details added for example the saturation of colors or the blank gutters, give a feel for the most exciting story. Body Paragraph 3: Claim using Graphic Novel Features The colors of this book change a lot and say a lot about the topic. For example, the entire book is in black and white. But the detail changes. When George is telling the story, it is almost a memory. You know when you remember everything about your favorite birthday because that was a big moment in your life. So a grown man remembers the awful things that happened to him is similar to that but not in a good way. The more detail there is in the background the more we feel like we are there, and it really helps the story progress. It feels like we are watching a live feed or home video of what happened. The pictures that show George later in life show more minor detail like they wanted us to focus more on the characters. “Ideally, George Takei’s They Called Us Enemy should just be an interesting, compelling memoir detailing a dark, shameful chapter in American history, drawing readers to itself through its narrator and co-writers fame as an actor, an activist, and a witty social media presence.” -TCJ. This shows that the darker colors show sad feelings, emotion, and pain. Doing it this way helped you see and compare things more. Living in camps was not good and they wanted you to see the characters and the horrible conditions. “And yet, here we are. There shouldn’t be such a tangible current events hook to They Called Us Enemy, but there is” -TCJ. Then later they wanted you to see the characters and their emotions more. The shading helps as well. You see lighter at the end because things are starting to look better, but still not ideal. Conclusion: The purpose of “They Called Us the Enemy” is to inform you and to tell you about what happened and the injustices showed to people who did nothing but want a better life, sometimes not even that. The audience for this topic is people 9+ because this information needs to be spread, people need to know about what happened. The audience for this review is parents because this book might seem like a heavy load of information. Something that their children do not need to know about right now. But it is. The impact of this book is strong, reading this book made me feel like my problems were tiny, and that things could and should have been better. Overall “They Called Us the Enemy” by George Takei was a captivating story that was able to teach what happened in a way that made sure that young adults could understand.
1 person found this helpful.