All teen and kid member reviews for Things Not Seen

Read to everyone 9 and up

Andrew Clements is 1 of my favorite authors and I only read 2 of his books!
Teen, 16 years old Written byjCheeka August 13, 2009

Great Book!

i read this book for summer reading, and i loved it! it taught me that, even though in the novel bobby was physically invisble, there are real teenagers out in the world that are truly forgotten and ignored. Bobby was a like-able character young children can easily look up to,
Teen, 15 years old Written byakg April 9, 2008

Good Book

I read this book for a book report in 8th grade. I read it in two days it was so good. I just finished my report on it and I think it gives children a good creative mind because invisiblity can't really happen. Bobby meets a blind girl and becomes friends with her and it teaches you lessons such as not to judge on how people are built. Personaly I think this book is a must for all children ages 9-13. There may be some big words but not huge.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCutegirl101 February 25, 2013

Awesome

It is a good and positive story. I think anybody from 9+ should read it. It's really interesting too.
Teen, 13 years old Written byevangelina11 November 9, 2010

perfect for any age that really understands the message

I love this book because of the good messages, and the story of friendship. i am thirteen, and if i was in this situation, i would go back to this book, an dreally look at this main character.
Kid, 10 years old October 30, 2010

I see you, But you can't see me

I think its the second best book i have read so far. In my opinion, I think it is very interesting. it shows a lot of emotions and feelings. Its also very sad when the parents get in a car crash. I wish i was there in the part when bobby went home by himself .
Teen, 14 years old Written byangelaangieang April 9, 2008
This is one of my favorite books! i finished it like the 5th time last night and i love it more and more every time. i think the last chapter is the best, so heartfelt. then the last line gets me, i just love it. i recomend this book to everyone, young or old.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysportsdiva321 November 16, 2008

YES! YES! YES!

When I first got this book and read the back i was not that enthusiastic about reading it. But now it is the night after I finished the book and I am devestated! I loved that book so stinking much! I love Bobby's sarcastic remarks, and the humor and romanc to the story. I'm hoping A.C. will make a sequil to it because I want more! This is a great book for teens.

W00t

this is a great book! RADIOACTIVE SQUIRRELS
Teen, 14 years old Written byemm 98 April 9, 2008

BEST EVER

i hate reading but when i read the first few pages of this book i couldent put it down. I finished justa few minutes ago. i cryed laughed and smiled all at the same time. I haev a differnt look on life now. and blind people. and invisble people. i was looking for a differnt ending. im not that big of a science person. so the ending wassent my "thing". BUT I LOVE THIS BOOK READ IT NOW!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byReachForStarrs April 9, 2008

I loved it!

This great book has love, sadness, and happiness, sometimes all at once. This book made me laugh, it made me smile, it made me appreciate the things I have. I recommend this book for girls rather than boys. I think boys won't find it to interesting. In my opinion, this book was great!
Teen, 13 years old Written byladii.bubblezz April 9, 2008

A Must Read Book for everyone

I absolutely loved this book. The message is very clear. This book made me cry because of all the dialogue that there is. it is also very funny when the main character talks to himself and comments on the grown-ups. the most important thing in the book is that it shows you the problems of adults through the eyes of kids. this is very important because you really get to see how a child might feel going through these type of circumstances. i recommend this book to everyone out there. it is a good book to read.
Teen, 13 years old Written byArthur Setiawan November 19, 2012

Things Not Seen ! Two Thumbs Up!

This book, one that you should all read. This book inspired me to read more and more and more on anything. I wasn't quite a reader some years back, until I found 'Things Not Seen' that made me fall in love with reading. Arthur Setiawan - Indonesia
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmileyriley September 20, 2009

Good book

i love the book it is romantic and an adventur and a mystery all in one book. The only thing that is not my favorite is that he has to go out in public naked but he is invisible so i can understand.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycanadarules4eva April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

A must-read for any Harry Potter fan!

This book is so like Harry Potter in the way that the guy in the book becomes invisible. It was happy, scary and great. It was a page turner and I think any kid over twelve should read it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLydiaC321 January 1, 2016
As you can see from the four stars, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. (I first listened to it as an audiobook, actually. Daniel Passer does an excellent job narrating. ) Anyway, there are several reasons I liked this book. First, i loved seeing the quasi-transformation Bobby underwent. As a somewhat sheltered ISTJ fourteen-year-old, I was at first put off by Bobby's relatively snarky behavior at the beginning of the novel. He is extremely sarcastic towards the beginning of the story. I typed him as an ISFP (FiSeNiTe), albeit a moderately "cold/intellectual" one. (Coincidentally, Harry Potter is also and ISFP.) Bobby is in no way the hippie artist that Tumblr uses to define the ISFP. I digress, but there is a point to emphasizing his type. His Te function comes out blatant and untempered at the beginning of the story, but toward the end he has learnt that there is a time and place for consideration of the feelings of others. Additionally, the relationship between Bobby and his parents CHANGES. It irritates me how the media generally portrays teenagers as rebellious and sarcastic parent-haters. I was disappointed that Clements apparently chose to do so at the beginning of Things Not Seen, but my disapproval turned to admiration as he skillfully turned the relationship in question around (without preaching!!!). I once knew a person who said, "If you start something crummy, it will BE crummy." I don't subscribe to that philosophy. Apparently, neither did Clements (I know it's not accurate to judge someone based on a single book, but just bear with me). In Chapter One, Bobby's relationship with his parents is indubitably "crummy." By the end of the book, one wishes to publicize the book to the point that it revolutionizes the teen fiction industry, all because of the positive message in Bobby's relationship with his parents. Second, I found something intriguing about this book during my third or fourth reading. Clements gives no physical description of Bobby. None at all. Wait--actually there is a bit, but that which is present is scarcely enough to give the reader an idea of what Bobby actually looks like. For instance, we know that at the end of the book his hair is "longer." We know that he is "taller" than Alicia. We know that according to Alicia (who, mind you, is blind) he has a "nice smile." I like the vagueness of description in this book. If the reader was told that Bobby was 5'8", had green hair and brown eyes (or vice versa), and was any given ethnicity (one must be politically correct these days), the reader would be tempted to picture a person of that description during the story instead of an invisible person. Also, the lace of description strengthens the connection between Bobby and Alicia, who due to her blindness has no idea what he looks like. Third, I was captivated by the intensity of the mental description. It was startlingly impressive. In Chapter Seven "First Night", Clements does a fantastic job capturing the essence of pure dread. Note to parents: If your child frightens easily, I would not recommend that you allow your child to read Chapter Seven (or listen to it--again, Daniel Passer reads almost too well). However, it is nowhere near as horror-filled as some of the other books in today's teen literature, which i call another bonus. At first glance, one would not call Bobby a highly emotional person (one reason i was reluctant to type him as a Fi-dom). It is there, though. Hidden behind his inferior Te bluntness is a bedrock of Fi sensitivity. Once i started paying attention to things other than his constant sarcasm, I was shocked at the intensity of his emotions. Speaking of Bobby's emotions, there is one component of this book about which i am still attempting to form an opinion. This component is the relationship between Bobby and Alicia. It is developed more fully in Things that Are, which is told from Alicia's perspective. It is interesting to see the similarities between Alicia's and Bobby's thoughts. Their relationship starts out as an ordinary friendship, although from the start there is an undertone of "something more," i.e. a romantic relationship. Clements writes for the most part as though Bobby is the primary one who desires there to be some sort of romantic element. However, in the last chapter, Alicia sends Bobby an email which reveals much about Alicia's emotions concerning Bobby. Anyway, in comparison with the majority of teen literature, their relationship is pure and does not escalate too quickly. There is not much of the stereotypical "Oh, s/he is attractive, I shall therefore attempt physical romantic interaction with her/him." Bobby's knowledge of Alicia's physical beauty is present, but it is not the driving force of the relationship. And PRAISE THE LORD there is no love triangle in this book. Ninety-nine point nine per cent of those are unnecessary and detract from the plot. While the relationship between Bobby and Alicia is superior to most other teen romances i have read, I still have one slight qualm about it, that being that it is a teenage romantic relationship. Most (I only use "most" to avoid saying "all") teenage relationships are merely two persons acting on a mutual infatuation. I'm not certain i approve of Clements endorsing that (if indeed he is endorsing that). However, it was interesting to enter the brain of an infatuated person--I'm fairly certain that I've never undergone an infatuation, so now i have some idea of the thought process. On the whole I'm not entirely sure i approve of the message. However, as a "ship" it is far better done than, say, Percabeth. (And yes, fangirls, I did just go there.) The other uncertain aspect of the story is that for a decent-sized portion of the book, Bobby walks around in public without clothing. This aspect of the book is the one thing that makes me hesitant to recommend it. I'm not fully certain what the moral implications of this are--is it right to do something wrong if no one will see you? However, the reason society imposes standards of modesty is because after the Fall it has become clear that for obvious reasons people must be to a certain extent covered up. Looking at the situation in this light, Bobby is fully "covered up" by his invisibility. He does not continue his habit of exiting the house unclothed after he can be seen again. Another way to look at this issue: if someone wore a full-body suit that caused invisibility and left the house in it, would there be any problem? Obviously not. The same principle applies here. In a way, Bobby behaved FAR more modestly than many teenage females today. I believe those who say Clements is endorsing public nudity have not thought their opinions through completely (or just used different logic). I could be wrong, but what i find to be reasonable logic points to the contrary. All in all, Things Not Seen is a rather excellent book. I suggest that parents skim this book, particularly chapters 7, 9, and 28. Also, decide beforehand whether or not you want your child to read the two other books in this series, Things Hoped For and Things That Are. While the quality of writing in those books is on par with Things Not Seen, the subject matter is moderately more sketchy.
Kid, 11 years old August 6, 2015
I read it for my summer reading book and I though the book Things Not Seen was a great book! It had a great plot and a good relationships between the characters. In the book Bobby suddenly becomes invisible and quickly discovers the consequences of his case. Can he get back to normal? Read the epic book of Things Not Seen by Andrew Clemets!
Kid, 10 years old October 22, 2012