Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Thunderhead: Arc of a Scythe, Book 2

Sci-fi chiller ups the action, twists in fast-paced sequel.

Adult Written byStudiousStudent March 5, 2018

Good, but Not Quite What CSM Says

I agree with the other reviewer who mentioned that CSM did pick up on all of the sexual innuendo of Thunderhead. But, as far as I know, the book never even had the f-word in it. Unless I missed it somehow, I'm pretty sure it didn't. Aside from that, this book is probably best for 14+ due to the content and the story-line of the book. There is quite a bit of violence, some sexual stuff, and some language, but as I said, not quite what CSM stated in their review.

Adult Written byBryton Massie November 1, 2018

Dear Parents, (Discretion is required in this book)

This is an amazing book, I've read many reviews discouraging people from reading this book, all or lengthy although lacked fundamental details and were more ranting due to the reviewer having a lack of fundamental understanding of particular subjects including ideology and morals/ethics (none were on this site). This book includes many questionable ideologies and ethical decisions, when someone has a full grasp of this book it will bend your emotions. Most people under the age of 15 will not grasp all of the ideas from this book and should be read with an adult if under said age; Although some children are much smarter or better understanding of this, so this does not apply to all kids under 15. Even then many kids will still not get the full understanding of this book, sure story can be slow at times but in the end it builds up and makes it much better, it's still an amazing story that your kids should read with you and don't discourage your kids from asking you what the word is or what it's talking about (great way to learn). My opinion is that this book is not for everyone, I feel that this book requires some understanding and fundamental that many people don't have or just lack. This doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't turn away young readers from this book for they may know more and understand more than you may expect. Sure this book is full of violence but it's good to teach your kids that violence is not the answer, if it is too gory for your child that's okay but they have to understand how damaging and painful can be to others around them and I think that's why this book is so important to me, because it shows and teaches just how well violence can cause pain to others by getting us attached to a variety of characters that we can understand on a certain level and then showing the repercussions of one man's violence to harm everyone else for a self-centered goal. That's why this book is so moving to me, not many books can stew together so many complicated topics yet tell a story to teach us by emotionally tying us to these characters that we emphasize for.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byjonathanc1870 June 25, 2018

Fantastic and Thrilling Sequel that makes readers think

Thunderhead is a fantastic follow up to Scythe. The world expands more and the concepts are absolutely amazing. This book delves into ethical issues and the characters are all 3D. There is a good amount of violence in this book, but a little less than Scythe. There's plenty of attempted murders and tragedies. Also TW for suicide. There is a little bit more sexual content with Thunderhead and it can be reasonably inferred characters have sex. A woman also asks to have sex with a man, though not phrased in that way.

Adult Written byProCritic January 29, 2019

This is for babies.

It's not at ALL what others say. There's nothing harmful in the entire book.

Adult Written byAllison R. March 5, 2018

Just a few additional details the official review omits

I read this book myself, for my own entertainment, and found the hard way that CommonSense Media's official content advisory was insufficient. Engaging in "mild sexual innuendo" doesn't quite cover this book in terms of sexual content. 1) It is implied several times that two characters have been intimate (described in terms of feelings more than actions); 2) a female antagonist is noted in passing for her "sexual conquests"; 3) a male character casually observes aloud that his body experiences attraction to said female character, though his actions are not dictated by "biology"; 4) a character tries to sleep with another, only to be rejected and propositioned by yet another. I raise the concern that these instances, especially considering their frequency, cross the arbitrary line of mildness. If I'd known of that content of #4's nature were in this book, especially, I would not have picked it up in the first place.