All parent member reviews for To Kill a Mockingbird

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Stunning, Beautiful Novel with Wonderful Virtues and Messages.

To Kill a Mockingbird is wonderful. I read the book this weekend and absolutly loved it. It teaches wonderful lessons about tolerance, justice, racism, prejudice, and courage, among others. The content is iffy. Real curse words are seldom used, but n****r is frequently said. Violence is one of the biggest issues. It's described, but never graphically shown. A man is stabbed with a knife while trying to kill children, legend has it that an insane neighbor eats birds and rabbits. A wrongly accused man is shot seventeen times while trying to escape jail. No sex is shown, but a rape case is handled in mild terms and it briefly talks about a "wrong" infatuation between a white woman and black man. So, you decide on this one. The content is iffy, but the book teaches wonderful messages that all should hear.
Adult Written byMnicole_94 March 29, 2010

this book is dumm i hate everything about it. im 15 i dont care about a 7 year old girl and her family. i dont see why teenagers cant read interesting books with now a day problems. examples like dear john and the nicolas spark books
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

Beautiful

This is a beautifully written book, one of my all-time favourites. I am so glad that this has become required reading, because it really is fantastic. There are mature themes in this book however, so I would recomend it to 13 and up.
Adult Written byblueduck6 October 29, 2010

I think this is a great book for kids who understand (and want to understand) the racism and prejudice in the history of America, and it can be great for parents to talk to their kids about how society has changed . There are the concerns of very mild violence (our kids are exposed to much more serious violence much earlier - so it isn't much of a problem), the use of rude slang for African-Americans (this issue needs to be addressed to the kids so that they don't use it around their friends, teachers, etc), and the fact that the rape of a white woman is an intergroup part of the book (understanding rape and the consequences, how wrong it is, etc, may help). The good points are that the novel contains great role models such as Atticus, who teaches his kids that prejudice, racism, etc is wrong. Scout - who's age ranges from six to nine in the novel - portrays adult issues very well for a naive mind. Must keep in mind that the language used (1930's slang, pronunciation, grammar, etc), so parents may need to explain some words. But once you get into the style of writing, it'll be interesting to the end. Give it a go!
Adult Written byannproberts April 9, 2008

One of my favorite stories EVER. Read the book, then see the movie.

This story is told as a flashback, in the point of view of a young girl growing up in a small southern rural town during the 1930's. It is one of the most powerful "coming-of-age" stories ever written. Scout, the narrator encounters racism, violence, prejudice, jealousy, acceptance/rejection, stereotypes, and social struggles as she realizes the dangers, powers, excitement, and frenzy of growing up.
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

A must-read for 13+

This book is a wonderful look at the south and people's attitudes. Its amazing insights and powerful message is inspiring and genuine. It is not inappropriate for children under thirteen, but the messages and reading level mean that a person must be enough advanced to get everything out of it.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Adult Written byontherun April 9, 2008

A great story about respect

I remember seeing the movie when I was a kid. I'm really glad that I read the book though it has so much more. I'm reading it to my 11 year old. It is a great story about respecting others. Atticus doesn't preach to his kids he gently guides them to respect everyone. I would recommend this as a family read for all kids 5th or 6th grade and up and then watch the movie and compare it to the book.
Adult Written bysgsells April 9, 2008

Outdated

Comfy and convenient for white readers. Outdated, though!
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byhannahrose April 28, 2011

A Must-Read

A wonderful look at the issues or racism and the southern justice system through the eyes of a child. Some themes are a bit mature for 12, I think. But, over-all, I agree with the CommonSense review.
Parent Written bymemok February 20, 2012

The rights for everyone in American

This is a very interesting book on how our fellow americans were unfairly treated
Parent of a 4 year old Written bylove_to_read_2 March 4, 2010

Timeless classic that offers many lessons to readers

Atticus, the father, is an exceptional role model who went against the grain during the time the book is set in order to remain true to himself and his ideals. Some of the other characters are a reminder of how far the south has come since times of segregation. Readers can learn from any number of themes present in the novel- importance of education, issues with intolerance, class and race segregation, importance of family, and many others.
Adult Written byDaddon April 9, 2008

It was interesting

Parent of a 11, 15, and 18 year old Written byJulieKryger1970 January 5, 2009

Adult Written bydancer chick April 9, 2008

A very thought provoking book

Adult Written bywinfall April 9, 2008

A Classic

A great book. Some people may find the words "rape" and "nigger" offensive.