All teen and kid member reviews for To Kill a Mockingbird

Kid, 12 years old February 24, 2009

Great Book!

I loved this book! Its not very hard and i think everyone who likes a good story should give it a try. Scout is my absolute favorite character!

Fantastic!

I thought this was a great book for tweens or teens. It really let you feel like you were the in the characters shoes. My only complainant was that the ending sort of just cut off.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypuckgirl93 January 17, 2010

Incredible Story.

Simply put; this book is a classic! I think everyone should read it at some point in their life. I myself have read it 3 times. Amazing novel.
Teen, 14 years old Written byyoloswagtastic May 6, 2013

WORST BOOK EVER!!!

This book is absolutely, hands down, the most horrible, worst book I have ever read. My reason is, it is so BORING. There is nothing exiting that is happening. I have no clue why everyone is saying it is one of the best books the have ever read. There is no conflict, the beginning is very slow, followed by the whole book. NEVER READ THIS BOOK. ONLY READ IT IF YOU WANT TO WASTE YOUR TIME. THIS IS A HORRIBLE BOOK FOR ALL KIDS. DO NOT READ IT!!!
Kid, 12 years old August 14, 2012

Will stay with you, FOREVER and always...

To Kill a Mockingbird is an ingenious, heart-splitting creation that slices your soul in half. It examines the unjust irrationality of racism, and just how wickedly ridiculous people can get when acting upon biased morals. It's told from a young child's view in a small southern town, crossing innocence with the adult's prejudiced world. Anyone who wants to try it--let them read. Children nine and under might have a tough time understanding the message behind it. I read it when I was ten, loving every bit of it. I can easily say I'll read it again. Content isn't really an issue, considering that the message is invaluable. The word n***er is used a few times, and the plot revolves around a black man unfairly accused of rape. Atticus is a positive role-model for anyone. He defends the accused without a bias while steely, racist eyes look on. There are quite a few witty lines I remember as well. This black-and-white novel clearly states the harsh blind-fold that racism can stick on anyone. Cruelty against blacks is, and always will be, America's skeleton-in-the-closet from the past. Anyway...Harper Lee is one of my favorite writers. She was undoubtedly quite bright and understanding. I've heard that she only published one novel in her life-time. That is somewhat disappointing, considering the play-on-words she must've obtained. But a true classic book that anyone should read if given the opportunity. Sincerely, BookWorm 100
Teen, 13 years old Written bysillysasha123 April 18, 2014

Exelent!

I read this book in English class last year and I absolutly loved it. it had very heart warming scenes and very very sad scenes and it truly teaches to never judge a book by its cover. I would say this is a MUST READ for any one 7th grade and up but not younger because there are some rather mature themes.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySmartyPants23 September 21, 2010

Boring book

I usually love everything that I read and for this book I absolutely disliked it and I will never know the ending because once I hit page 200 I almost died from boredom.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmartkitty June 16, 2012

to kill a mockingbird

this book is a beautiful clasic and one of my all time favorite books. it might not be aporipate for kids under 8 because it deals with raceism and rape.also there is some drinking but not much.there is also some swearing. overall I highly recomend this book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheGirlWhoWaited May 15, 2013

...

The class I am in read it as a mandatory book this year (year 10) and I will say that I was dissapointed with it as a whole. It was nothing like what I expected and I didn't enjoy it all that much. Dissapointing may it seem, I had other class mates tell me that they greatly enjoyed the book and would recccomend it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAJ3006 September 20, 2010

What does this title mean?

Overall this book was okay...until the 185th page were it got good. It was really slow but it has good messages.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJiles April 9, 2008

I absolutley loved it

One of the best historical fiction books I've read!
Teen, 14 years old Written byashly.irene January 24, 2012

To Kill A Mockingbird, a Review w/ insight.

The novel, To Kill A Mockingbird, is not recommenced for children. However, teenagers fourteen and up, will receive great educational insight and value from reading it. The novel is intended to be a novel of maturation and education. It is suppose to teach people the problems associated with racism, injustice, and other mature themes. I read the novel in my ninth grade Honors English class. It includes two major plot lines within the story. One following Boo Radley, the other following the Tom Robinson case.
Teen, 15 years old Written byveronicaprice July 15, 2010

good for all ages, don't be threatened

this book may seem violent to some but it isn't graphic and doesn't go into detail concerining violent events. but what is life without violence? this book shows the ugly side of human nature and although some people may find this threatening it should be read by everyone and anyone who wishes to learn the capabilities and actions of humans
Teen, 16 years old Written bymari26 April 9, 2008
i think its and OK book
Teen, 14 years old Written bypotato April 9, 2008

A must-read,

This is one of my favorite books. My sister read it in high school, so I read it in sixth grade as a challenge. It's not that difficult of a read, but is definitely amazing. The movie wasn't as good as the book, either. To Kill a Monckingbird is a great title for the book, and is better explained and understood once the book is read. It incorporates law, history, racism, justice, injustice, crime, and, unbelievably, passion, all into one big masterpiece. A must-read.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDancerGirl4 July 29, 2010

Aboslutely Amazing. Tweens and children may not be able to really understand and the material may be a little too grown-up.

I am in love with this book.It goes deeply into racism. There is some violence, but it's not bad. A woman is allegedly raped. Some racial slurs are used, but this book talks about racism being a bad thing. There are great role models in this book. This book talks about tolerance and loving your neighbors.
Kid, 11 years old January 9, 2010

good book

zhp7654 i agree 100%
Teen, 15 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Fabulous morals and lessons taught!

This book was absoulutely amazing. The main character is really Atticus, and as a reader you are amazed at his way of thinking and his ability to make you see all sides of an issue, and eventually make the best decision. Intelligence, tolerance, open-mindness, and courage are wonderful morals shown in the book. Harper Lee is a true genius, and the courtroom scene was incredibly accurate. (My father's a judge.) Things to watch out for: innumerable racial slurs, to be expected, but the swearing is a quite iffy. While it is not particularly strong, it is incredibly repetitive. Not for a young crowd. There is a rape case, but it is handled tastefully.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymaddiekate April 9, 2008
Required reading for 10th grade. AP & CP English.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBUCKBUCK August 4, 2013

Must read

This book is a must-read for high schoolers. It's slow to start but gets better. The rape part may bother some people but its not really graphically described. This classic has lots of vaulble lessons in it.