Kid reviews for Treasure Island

Boy and pirates hunt buried treasure in thrilling adventure.

Kid, 10 years old March 6, 2015

Amazing book!

My favourite from Robert Louis Stevenson. It's a thriller! Great for any age, I read Treasure Island in a Great Illustrated Classic's version. Makes tons of sense. It's a must read!!!!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written bytyoppp June 28, 2020

Treasure island review

It was a very good book, a lot of plot twists and tension builders! it did have a few words that i didn't quite know and didn't know how to pronounce! The reason why i said 12 and up is because there are words that are said in a pirate way of saying it, also because the plot is a bit tricky to follow and get the hang of! But other than those few reasons its a very intriguing book and would recommend!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byVolkswagon20 April 13, 2020

A pleasing adventure!

A really good vacation book. There was a lot of drinking and the pirates were frequently drunk, which they could have done without. Many unimportant characters died and there deaths were described in full detail. But other then that it was a good mystery with lots of surprising twists!

Teen, 13 years old Written byMyhippo2007 February 12, 2020

Ok

So I think that 13 and up should read this book because it is kinda confusing because of the pirate talk, drinking, and violence

Kid, 9 years old May 13, 2019

Treasure Island: A Really Good Book!

This book is pretty good. It is highly recommended, though I've read better.

In the book Treasure Island, young Jim Hawkins, a boy whose father runs the Admiral Inn, must journey with pirates to Skeleton Island, where there is easy treasure… Or is there?

Teen, 13 years old Written byEthan Mitcheltree April 4, 2019

Ethan’s Review

I think this is a great book for kids 12 and up because ther is a lot of gory scenes and inappropriate scenes

Teen, 16 years old Written byjoeycorkins April 4, 2019

Good book

In the book, Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, the author writes “Fifteen men on the Dead Man's Chest Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum! Drink and the devil had done for the rest Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!” Robert Louis Stevenson has wrote many books such as “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” and “Kidnapped”. Jekyll and Hyde was later turned into a musical.
In the book there is an old man pretending to be blind but is really not and is a bad guy because he stole gold. The book starts out with a young child that later grows up and his dad dies so it is his mom and himself running a hotel for sailors. Then he goes on a ship to go to an island to look for treasure and so when he does the people that went with him get in a war to first person to find the gold.
I have a strong opinion on this book and recommend it to younger ages. This book teaches young kids valuable lessons such as there is always another way out of things and there is always a plan.
I believe that Treasure Island is a good book for younger ages and is an inspirational book for all ages.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAce05 September 10, 2018

Why Treasure Island is NOT suitable for children

“It was Silver's voice, and before I had heard a dozen words, I would not have shown myself for all the world. I lay there, trembling and listening, in the extreme of fear and curiostiy, for, in those dozen words, I understood that the lives of all the honest men aboard depended on me alone.” -Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island. In the book Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson, the tale of a young boy on an adventure with pirates unfolds. Although this book, written in 1881 and eventually published in 1883, is indeed a classic, some people may argue as to why it is not suitable for its’ target audience, children. Treasure Island is an unfortunate solecism of a book for three reasons. It is exhausting to read, it encourages the acts of piracy and murder, and it is advertised inaccurately.
The first reason you should not read Treasure Island is that it is confusing. The language in the book, although it is not vulgar, is difficult for children to understand. It is advertised as a book for children between the ages of 8 and 10, but even some teens and adults have a difficult time understanding it. You might think that it is simply the authors’ style of writing that children don’t like, but Robert Louis Stevenson has many other lesser known children’s books that are less confusing, such as My Shadow (1885), A Child’s garden of Verses (1885), and Olalla (1885). As you can see, Treasure Island sticks out like a sore thumb when it comes to easy to read children’s books.
The second reason you should not read Treasure Island is that it is a bad influence. Although the pirates of the story are not the heros or “good guys,” those who are recognized as the heros are still not the ideal influence on children. Within the first paragraph of the book, the main protagonist, who is between the ages of 12 and 13, is shown selling rum to a strange guest. Not only that, but in the second chapter, the same young boy, named Jim, obeys orders from a suspicios stranger with a sword at his side. This is anything but suitable behavior from a child, and most certainly from the protagonist.
The third and final reason that you should not read Treasure Island is that it is advertised inaccurately. One website is quoted as saying “The heroes are models of rectitude;” However, this review is proved innacurate when you realize that the protagonists have no moral standards towards violence, drinking, and smoking. Even the 12 year old protagonist, Jim Hawkins, drinks rum. There are multiple other ways Treasure Island is advertised incorrectly, such as the fact that it is targeted to children, but I believe that there is enough evidence in merely one example to persuade any person into not reading Treasure Island.

Kid, 12 years old June 6, 2016

Very boring - not for me

we have been reading this book in school and it just doesn't make sense and is very boring. I do not recommend this book to anyone.

Kid, 11 years old October 26, 2014

Boring/ Horrible

Hi, my name is Taylor Duncan, and I had to read this for English Class and I couldn't even read it. This book was so boring please don't even try to read it.

Teen, 16 years old Written bykenter22 December 18, 2012

Heych

Did not understand what was happening at all. For all I know it could have been fifty shades of gray.

Kid, 11 years old September 25, 2011

best book

I think it was one of the best books I read

Kid, 11 years old August 29, 2010
This was SO boring to me , i wouldnt recomend it to ANYONE . AT ALL !

Kid, 11 years old August 22, 2010

confusing for kids

trust me, no kid would want to read this. i have to, for this school year, and it bores me to tears. I just dont like the actual words, because its all sailing and old fashioned grammar. I'm 11, and i get very confused. it does help to read an old classic, and to learn about all the pirate stuff tho.

Teen, 13 years old Written byrobertk July 17, 2010

Great Book

Great book. Read it twice!

Kid, 10 years old November 15, 2009

Yohoho!

I loved this. I think it is best for kids aged 10 and up. Not because of reading content (considering how young you can be nowadays for this sort of violence) but for vocabulary and reading level. Why? This book uses old fashioned language and sailing words, plus it is slower to start then more recent books.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 October 13, 2009

Kids won't want to read it if they don't have to

I read this as an assignment for English, believe you/me I wouldn't have read this on my own. But I'm glad I did, this book is basically the foundation for all the pirate-hunting-for-treasure scenarios you see so much in TV, movies, books, etc. It drags during the "My Sea Adventure" section enormously, and the language is all pirate-y, surprisingly no swear words. I recommend it.

Kid, 10 years old August 21, 2009

really good

Really good classic book
Teen, 14 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn August 1, 2009
This book is awful.
Completely boring all the way through.
It is the worst book I have ever read, and that is saying a lot.