All parent member reviews for Tuck Everlasting

Parent of a 2 year old Written byrote_cora June 20, 2010
Parent of a 9 year old Written byProudhelicopter September 9, 2012

Hmmm, not so much.

I think the reviewer is off in saying this book is for 9 year olds. My two 9 year old boys called it "too creepy." I stopped at page 41 and won't resume again until my boys are 11 or 12 or so. There was a bit of boy/girl attraction with "And he seemed so glorious to Winnie that she lost her heart at once" and "He was even more beautiful up close." The author describes what the boy is wearing from the girl's perspective which felt . . . like we were checking the boy out. Later Winnie is surprised to find out that being kidnapped is not what she expected, "Winnie had always been haunted by visions of what it would be like to be kidnapped." She expected "burly men" who left her "pleading for mercy." Yeah, not what my kids want to hear as a nighttime story. I'm sure it's a fantastic read -- just not appropriate for kids under 11 or even 12.
Adult Written byDsnyLnkd April 9, 2008

Loved the book...

I read this book after I bought if for my 9 year old for Christmas. I was having second thoughts about giving her a book I'd never read. I loved the book. It took me back to when I was 10 (the age of the girl in the book). It was a nice feeling. The book helps you contemplate your own mortality and why we may not want to "live forever". It really helps a person decide how they feel about living forever. On the other hand I was nervous about the young girl sneaking out of her parents house and what message that will send to my daughter. Also, there is a man who dies by a shotgun and talk of the gallows. I'm not sure if my daughter, though well taught, would understand the law back in 1880. Would she understand the setting of the book was back in the 1880's? I was thinking the age appropriateness would be fifth grade. I was glad I read this book and now will be able to talk to my daughter about it when she reads it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byA.Cox September 23, 2010
im in 8th grade && i loved the book. its a nice love story.
Educator Written byninateach February 28, 2009

Beautifully written!

As a teacher, I would recommend parents and teachers read this beautiful albeit a tidbit disturbing story with their children or students. Babbitt's use of figurative language is breathtaking. This book would be perfect used in a writer's workshop context. Discussion possibilities about life for both parents and teachers are endless.
Educator and Parent Written bymomfizz February 2, 2015

Rich in language and description

The words in this book are gorgeously phrased! One word will enhance the beauty of the paired word and vice versa. I say it is a great middle school read. The fear of death, the subject of eternal life and the stipulation of location of that life is a deep context with which to wrestle. Some possible questions for adult/child interaction: 1) How did this book affect you view of death? of eternal life? 2) Were there parts that frightened you? 3) What was your opinion of the situation at the jail? Do you think the main character was right or wrong to play a part?
Adult Written bybinzworld March 16, 2009

Very Interesting

I thought it was a very good book because you never new what was going to happen. I would think something and then I would read the next page and it was totally different from what I thought.
Adult Written bymrsthomas April 9, 2008

Great Book

This is a classic! Living forever... a curse or a gift. This book helps you decide!
Adult Written byMikey73 April 9, 2008

Great book. Boys and girls will love it.

I teach fith grade and read this to my class each year. Every class has always loved the book, and can't wait till I read the next chapter. Both boys and girls enjoy the book and it sparks much discussion about implications of eternal life. The story is beautifully written with great use of metaphor and simile to create feeling and draw the scene. The book's theme is life and death. The Tucks are a family that has become immortal by unknowingly drinking from a hidden spring. Winnie sees Jesse, the Tuck's son, drinking and takes her away to explain why she should never tell the truth about the spring. That is, if everyone knew about it, it would destroy the meaning life. A man who is trying to steal the spring, to use Winnie, and to share the secret of the spring is killed by a blow to the back of the head with a shotgun stock. The book does not encourage Winnie breaking the law or disobeying her parents, it spend a few pages going over her tribulations about it. Winnie must sacrifice the trust of her parents to save the Tucks from hanging and the world from finding the secret of the water.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bythefullmetalalc... January 31, 2011

a classic book perfect for all a

metaphors that may fly over young kids heads
Adult Written byfe April 9, 2008