Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Turtles All the Way Down

Thought-provoking exploration of mental illness, first love.

Adult Written byLinda R. October 17, 2017

Not appropriate for schools

I am a former junior high English teacher and a John Green fan. I read "The Fault in Our Stars" three times, even though the content prevented me from using it in my classroom. "Turtles All the Way Down" has a similar plot to "Paper Towns." It's a pleasant, but not compelling read. If you liked "Paper Towns," you'll like "Turtles." It's an interesting exploration of OCD, friendship, and loyalty. Unfortunately, the language makes it inappropriate for classroom use. Several F bombs and a conversation about D*** pics.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byAdam L. October 17, 2017

Teens learn empathy

What I love most about this book is how it situates the reader so completely in protagonist Aza Holmes' perspective and in her daily struggles with her anxiety disorder, giving readers who normally don't ever have to think about this stuff an eye-opening experience. But on top of that, by the end of the story its protagonist has learned lessons about the myopia of her own perspective and begun to understand and take into account the subjective experiences of her friends and family. The book is an exercise in learning to empathize with others and understand that their perspectives and experiences are as valid as our own. The world could use more of this.

Parent of a 6, 11, and 14 year old Written byKim B. January 14, 2018

Beautiful and authentically accurate picture of mental illness

My daughter struggles with mental illness and this book was beautifully and authentically accurate. We were able to have so many open and honest discussions about symptoms, medication choices, and the frustrating fact that it is never going away (but that doesn't mean things won't get better.) We read it together and while the curse words are prevalent, the worst part for me was the dick pic scene! That was an awkward conversation to have with my 14 year old daughter! But we managed it.
Adult Written bytsmithy2213 August 6, 2018

trashy teen novel - garbage

The story line is somewhat interesting but really it just a bunch of swearing and normalizing of destructive behaviors, the author is projecting a worldview that is terrible. Although a few nice moments of compassion. Even, if some teens would identify with parts of the characters and story it is just so bad like 10% good moral decision making and 90% bad. Let real life counselors deal with the psychotherapy - not some teen book. Zero educational value.

Adult Written byMaOfEight November 27, 2018

Inappropriate at the junior high level

As a Christian mom, this book is shocking and not even past the first quarter of it. F bombs, social media, God's name in vain, and a full blown discussion of "dick pics" make this a no go from r my 8th graders!

Adult Written byStoferHill August 27, 2018

Very disappointing

The underlying story is rediculously (two teens trying to solve a murder mystery) out of character for Aza and Daily, the main character and her best friend. The story trying to be told was conveyed by exaggerating EVERYTHING. So, if your teen suffers from typical teen anxiety, this book could well make them think they need therapy because their minds are no longer their own for them to control. Why it's not five stars for language is beyond me, as there are swear words, and I mean all of the big ones include taking the lords name in vain, throughout every chapter. I don't recommend this to anyone, and especially not to teens. It was boring, depressing and doesn't deliver a good message.

Parent Written byWillow Green February 3, 2018

masterpiece

Wow, this book was absolutely amazing. John Green really produced a work of art here. This book is so real, dark, and beautiful that it had me in tears by the end. Aza Holmes is such and amazing character and so are all of the others. I definitely recommend this book.

Adult Written byNithya S. May 14, 2018

The best ya book I've ever read.

Adult Written byminahil6jan July 24, 2018

THE BEST JOHN GREEN BOOK

I love how the characters were depicted in the book. Aza's character is so relatable since she has some mental health concerns. Davis's my god is such a crush-worthy guy not your cliche billionaire teenage playboy. And Noah that kid deserved more from his life. It has been the best book altogether. I have fallen for the quotes that take you by surprise and the cosmic knowledge that increases your interest in astronomy. A highly recommended book, I want to turn to page 1 and start reading it again