Kid reviews for Turtles All the Way Down

Thought-provoking exploration of mental illness, first love.

Teen, 17 years old Written bycsreviewer October 24, 2017

Insightfully Brilliant! Green always leaves me wanting more!

Turtles All The Way Down is bestselling young adult author, John Green’s latest work. It focuses on a teenager named Aza and here life dealing with OCD and mental illness. As a long-term fan of Green’s work, I was not disappointed with his long awaited masterpiece! New and veteran fans to his writing style will laugh, cry, and be able to explore logical significance in this book. Parents and readers alike should be aware that foul language is present in this story. Frequent uses of f**k, sh*t, d**k, b**ch, “ass,” as well as the Lord’s name in vain—many paired with “damn”—are in the story. Although language is harsh, it is milder than other Green books. The language is also appropriate, contextually because the characters swearing are in high school. Although there isn’t any physical sex acts, people should know that kissing and talk about sex is heavy. There is also a super brief conversation between Aza and her friend, Daisy of an unsolicited “d**k pic.” (Daisy gets one on her phone, and shows it to Aza. They discuss the topic) Readers should also know that violence is not as bad or upsetting as others. A traumatic car crash occurs, leaving one character badly injured and another injured. Talk of dead parents pops up throughout the story. Graphic talk of Aza relating to her Compulsive self harm is frequent. Overall, this book was insightful on the issue of mental illness. It explores teens in love and the concept of young people not feeling like themselves. I give this book five out of five turtles! Everyone should read this book!

Teen, 17 years old Written byLucia B. October 18, 2017

Brilliant

I love this book. It's a work of art- so beautifully concise in its execution, yet so true-to-life, vulnerable, and expressive as well. Along with simply being a wonderful experience to read, the story broadened my concepts about what it is like to be a person. It expresses, for example, what it can be like to live with mental illness, how a life is affected when you are losing/have lost someone, and what is to be part of meaningful and realistic relationships (familial, platonic, professional, and romantic). This book is filled with perspective, positive messages, realism, and hope. It is a story of seeing beauty in actual, real life, not a story of life created to be beautiful. And it is crafted impeccably down to the word. I don't know if it's actually possible to articulate exactly what makes Turtles All The Way Down so excellent, or why it feels how it does to read. I hope I've done a decent job. When it comes down to i, it just is what it is, and that is a very good book. I fully recommend it to anyone of any age who feels it may interest them even in the smallest way.

Teen, 13 years old Written byalittleboatadrift October 24, 2017
Turtles All The Way Down was an amazing book, and its one of my favorite books. I love how John Green gets into depth with Aza Holmes' character, and even other side characters. His writing definitely puts many thoughts I've felt before into words. This book is one of my favorite by John because, to me, this story isn't really focused on two peoples relationships (although Aza does have a relationship with Davis), as the rest of his books are, but its mostly focused on how Aza deals with her illness and Aza and her friendship with Daisy. I would say something you definitely need to have a general idea of what the book is about. John Green portrays some of his feelings and other tendencies of people with OCD. There are many pages where he gets into detail about Aza's fear of getting a bacterial infection, and the things she does in order to settle these thought spirals concerning her fear getting an infection. There are some very important themes in this book, and i would definitely recommend it to anyone (who is mature, obviously) from ages 12 and up.

Teen, 13 years old Written byjustinehuynhie January 2, 2018

GREAT!!!!!

it is such a good book! yet there are some bad words, but it is so meaningful.

Kid, 9 years old December 29, 2017

An Intriguing Novel Combination Of Everything I Look For In A Great Book

I am on a John Green kick right now, hardly ever able to put down a story as exciting or well written as one of his. This new one is the very intriguing mystery of a fugitive billionaire, also complete with suspenseful plot twists, plenty of teenage romance and crushes, as well as many powerful and moving discussions, narrated by the character herself, about a girl suffering from some mental illnesses and how she deals with it. The book has plenty of bad language including some of the worst bad words, but has a lot less language than the rest of John Green’s novels, making it just a tiny bit more appropriate, but I still marked ages sixteen and up because of some of the topics, romance, and some of the language. Teachers and parents should know that this book is not appropriate to use at school, or to widely use in some form of discussion. This book includes one death, but of a character that is only mentioned but that readers do not ever get to meet. Full of educational value, readers everywhere will agree that John Green has outdone himself in this 5 out of 5 turtles novel that no one should miss!

Teen, 15 years old Written byGood_Reviewer September 24, 2018

Excellent Book

It is a great book about dealing with anxiety issues.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAlexarg12 January 16, 2019
This book can help teens understand OCD, as Green puts it into very good words, and describes the thought process of someone with OCD very well. I recommend everyone reading it. A few kissing scenes, but it doesn’t go far due to the main character have been OCD and being freaked out by kissing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKJ-52 January 11, 2019

I Am So Disappointed In John Green...

Many of my friends in the 11 - 12 Grade love John Green. I thought I might try reading one of his books, so one day at the library, I picked one that my friend had suggested. Within the first two pages there was major swearing, and topics that most people can't relate to. If you are looking for a more appropriate book like this one I suggest The Boy In Striped Pajamas - I can't remember the author's name. Protect your kids, and don't let them read this book!

Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneyoudontk... October 30, 2018

AWESOME!

I don't think there is anything bad about this book to be honest. 11 year olds could read it, but they may not find it interesting. Probably one of John Green's best books yet. It doesn't really have any sexy stuff so I don't know what everyone else is talking about. The main character Aza, thinks she is going to die of C.diff, most of John Greens main characters think they are going to die. Aza is a little mental, but I can't help but laugh at her, and I would TOTALLY recommend reading this book. I have read it 5 times, (no kidding)

Teen, 15 years old Written byalminaaxo August 29, 2018

Great book!

This book was assigned to me as a summer reading book, and I absolutely loved it! I usually never get hooked onto a book, but this novel was very interesting to read and made me want to read more and more! I knew John Green wouldn’t fail me that’s why I chose his book as my summer reading for this year.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMayberry June 17, 2018

Turtles All the Way Down

I loved this book. It shows all the genres that you'll love.

Teen, 15 years old Written byStrangertwd May 10, 2018

Absolutely amazing!

I could not stop reading this ! It is an absolutely amazing book and touched me . It makes you think of the world in such different perspectives and really graves your attention! This is one of the best books I have ever read and REALLY RECOMEND !!

Teen, 13 years old Written byZara258 February 21, 2018

Brilliant read

John Green has produced yet another brilliant book. Has very good messages but also some swearing.

Teen, 14 years old Written bysouparno February 8, 2018

one of the best literary works in the recent times

the book is really great. at first the book is a bit slow infact very slow but it gathers pace after and the story ends beautifully making you carve for more. however it could not beat green`s last book "the fault in our stars" but nevertheless it is a great book for teenagers