All teen and kid member reviews for Uglies: Uglies Quartet, Book 1

Teen, 13 years old Written byadiamondinthedust November 17, 2011

I HATE THIS BOOK!

This book was the worst book ever. It did have okay reveiws so I read it but it was not good!
Teen, 14 years old Written byrhirhi August 1, 2009

Excellent book for people who loved adventure- anyone between 11-16 would like this book

OMG this is like one of my fav books! it's about a girl called Tally and she lives in the furture. In the future when you turn 16 u get a life changing opperation and become gorgeous. But when tally meets a girl who thinks that everyone is pretty just as they are and that people don't need to change, her world gets turned upside down and she has to choose between the life that she always wanted or her new life and best friends! The descisions tally makes will blow you away!
Teen, 14 years old Written bypumpkinapples May 15, 2011

there's a message here.

I love the whole Ugly triology. (: i love the message in the story about how we're too obsessed with physical appearances.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjennyconley2006 April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written byOGORMAN June 1, 2010

A great book for anyone old enough to understand what's going on.

This is a great book and I would definitely recommend reading all of the books in the series. It may be a little bit violent at some points but otherwise, it's a good read that's full of adventure. There is some drinking, but it's nothing bad. The whole story is based around self-image and government problems. It was really good!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTwilightfan30987 July 7, 2009

Nice and Different

This book was great! It delivers a change from the vampire fiction stories that are everywhere today. Don't get me wrong, I love vampires, just look at my username. But when you kind of just need a break from the supernatural, pick up this book and give it a try. The plot was excellent. I wish I could have a *SPOILERS* hoverboard! And I think the idea of not judging people is great, but I don't agree with the cities rules and 'lesions'. But nice and appropriate.
Teen, 16 years old Written byEllen15 April 9, 2008

a must read for everyone in junior high

Tally grew up in a society that values only beauty. All Tally wants is to turn sixteen and undergo the operation that will make her beautiful. But when her new found friend runs away to avoid the operation, Tally’s operation must also wait. Instead, she sets out to find and betray a secret society that exists so people can choose not to be beautiful. While this book is predictable, it also provides an insightful look at why beauty isn’t everything. Everyone can relate to this book, and by the end you might just reevaluate the way you look at people.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKyrabfftwer February 6, 2015

How the Series Progresses

My favorite by far out of the series is this one. I honestly think the series goes downhill really fast. Each book got worse and worse and the love triangle was horrible (I loved both guys but the way Scott deals with it is not good). If you really want to read the books, read this one only. The story lines aren't that great. I like the basic concept, but it really starts straying in Pretties. And the ending for Extras is pathetic. It goes against the whole point of life, in my opinion. I do not recommend this book. The role-models aren't good either. I was disappointed in Scott Westerfeld's decisions.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySakinarahman May 21, 2011

Perfect for teens and adults!

I like it, but wish Tally would stop complaining about her looks and peoples.But it's good! :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byCityofbonesfan019 February 15, 2011

kids and up

Loved it. It did start off really slow but got 10x better later in book. Great messages about how our society shouldnt be so obsesses with our looks.
Kid, 11 years old May 9, 2014

non violent, non sexual way of describing what our society has become

the story's about a society where when you turn sixteen you get transformed from an "ugly" to a "pretty" with a gruesome operation (literally like surgery). when you become a pretty, you get to live in a mansion and party and sleep late, but they also alter your way of thinking, which is why a bunch of kids run away to this place called the Smoke, and it's Tally Youngblood's job to find them. but trouble arises when she finds herself wanting to stay there! read "uglies" to find out what she decides to do!
Kid, 11 years old October 4, 2011

A little bit of both

This book was great! It has a very original plot and storyline, and has a good message. On the other hand, the book is a bit violent, but you kind of have to expect it from a book about rebels and what-not. Also, it didn't surprise me much and it was obvious what would happen next.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybookworm115 December 13, 2010

ummmm......

i kinda got bored in this series and i really dont know why, its a good story plot, but it just needs to keep the pace going i wouldnt recomend this to my friends because to read this you have to really like reading but if you dont then you might start snoring in the end, it was very predictable which is why i stoped on the second book, because i already knew what was going to happen and i like books that have to keep you guessing, but when you know wats going to happen, then all the fun is taken away, just be warned, its a good book, but it could use a lot of improvment
Kid, 12 years old April 6, 2010

Brilliant... Definately a Buy

This was a fantastic book. The first book left me madly flipping the pages of Uglies' two sequels, Pretties and Specials. Great, great series. Brilliant, I'd venture even. This piece really made me stop and thing about our physical obsession to appear beautiful, especially with girls my age. It makes you think... do we have it set in our mind already that we are ugly? Most of us do, and it's not our fault. It takes a hit on a girl's self esteem to see a retouched photo of a model in a magazine. That is the equivalent to the girls of Tally's world looking up to the "Pretties". This book really questions that way of thinking. Great read, I'd recommend it to anyone, to EVERYONE. Buy it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybooklion January 19, 2015

Price of Beauty

This book is great because it teaches the price of beauty. But this is more than your typical lecture, its also action-packed, filled with friendship, as well as tough decisions. This book is perfect for the action readers who never seem to be able to sit sown and really understand important concepts (like beauty). This book will help them because the moral of beauty runs underneath a sheet of action and adventure.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

A Must-Read for Sci-fi Lovers

If you like to read science-fiction books, this is the book for you! If you don't read science-fiction, then you should still read this, it's really, really good and you will probably want to read more science-fiction books after. Uglies is about a girl that lives in a world where you are ugly until you turn 16. On your 16th birthday you get an amazing opperation that transforms you from being super ugly to being super pretty. When you are pretty you always have fun, you go to a party every day! Tally, the protagonist, cannot wait until her 16th birthday until she meets a girl named Shay, who doesn't want to be pretty and starts to change Tally's mind. If you want to find out why Shay doesn't want to become pretty, then you'll have to read the book to find out! I love this book! It is one of the best books I've ever read! Don't forget to read the next 2 books in the triology:Pretties and Specials!
Kid, 12 years old March 21, 2014

I was good but...

I really enjoyed this book , but i did get a tiny bit boring towards the end. I did like Tally and David, and even though the review said around 10 and 11, i think it should be a bit older. Better for almost teens or mature tweens. I did not like the idea of "uglies" and "pretties" and I didn't think I was very self positive. It can give kids a bad body image. But i do think this is a great book about the future. Hoverboards sound super cool!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byannafan June 16, 2011

Uglies is good for most ages

it was good, i loved the series. the content is age-appropriate, and nothing is too extreme. There is only brief mention of sex, when Tally says that she was warned of the dangers of sex by Paris. Tally is a good role model because she refuses to accept her unperfect society and she helps to change it. Depending, younger, as long as old as 10, younger kids could read it
Teen, 13 years old Written bykittykoo March 28, 2010

Great Book

I think this book has a very positive message on lying, how if you tell on lie it'll lead on to another just to cover up the lie you made and blackmailing. I has only 2 non-discriptive kisses which is good. Loved the book read in within 5 days and going to get the second book tomorrow.
Teen, 14 years old Written byrainpuddle August 5, 2009

Perfect for tweens!

This book has it all! An exciting epic that brings up important points.