Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Walking Mary

Intriguing tale with mature themes; best for teens.

Based on 1 review

No reviews yetAdd your rating
Adult Written byErin D. October 31, 2017

The ending could be better.

The previous review essentially sums up the book. These are more of the problems I had with the book. It is basically about a teenager stalking an African American woman in the 1950’s. I thought this book was about a ghost but was disappointed when I found out it wasn’t. Then I thought it was about a witch because it is implied that Walking Mary cured her bad eyesight, but after that little bit in the beginning, it is never mentioned again. The entire time I was hoping that I would get some real background information about Walking Mary and not just speculation but that’s all you get. I was also hoping that Walking Mary would speak sometime in the book, even if it was just one profound line. But that doesn’t happen, either. It was kind of a cute story until the end. It was like “by the way, this has been happening and now I am going to kill myself.” I felt the ending, or even the entire book could have been stretched out to make more sense. So it was a big let down. But if you want a quick and easy read, this is a good book to pass the time.