All member reviews for Warriors series

Cat clans mirror human issues in popular series.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAgent663 March 6, 2013

Violent but amazing.

As tvtropes.org puts it: It's a series about a bunch of cats living in a forest which is marketed to ages 9-12 and decorated with colorful covers. But as for what's under the covers? As the title implies, there is a lot of fighting in these books, accompanied by pseudo-realistic (and often very graphic) violence. Pretty much every fight ends with every character involved bleeding from at least one gash, and on a few occasions cats have had their throats slit or torn open and bleed to death. And those are some of the average moments. The series goes on to feature cats having their eyes clawed out, getting run over by cars, being crippled, bleeding to death while giving birth, getting mauled by dogs, being ripped open and left to bleed to death nine times, being slaughtered by an Ax Crazy mountain lion, impaling a mountain lion with a stalactite, falling off cliffs and breaking their necks, getting crushed by trees, having their tails removed, having a wooden stake driven into their throat, drowning in a series of dark tunnels which they are forced to wander for all eternity, bleeding heavily from gashes in their stomachs, being tortured by extremely bloody nightmares, slowly bleeding to death after being severely wounded by a beaver's teeth, hearing another cat screaming in agony as his stomach is ripped open offscreen, etc. How these books being considered child-friendly has never been challenged by parents or bookstores for all these years is a mystery. Not to mention the fact that it covers themes like racism (although towards fictional races, which technically makes it okay), genocide, moral ambiguity, organized religion, insanity, and war. Even though there is a ton of violence (as tvtropes.org points out), the books are quite amazing, featuring a cast of cats with more human traits than most human characters in other books these days. It is sad, epic, and even funny on some occasions! Also, there are about thirty of these books, so you can be reading for a while. In addition to all of this, the heroes are quite fantastic role models, as they do what is right and follow a noble warrior code. I recommend this series to all who can handle the high levels of blood and gore depicted in the novels
Parent of a 3 year old Written byNK17 July 2, 2013

Never gets old great series but VERY violent

This is one of my favorite series ever, but it is one of the most disturbing kids series ever and maybe is the most disturbing-- Sex & Nudity 2/10 some minor sexual arguments as well as some secret relationships, but nothing too bad one graphic scene where it describes a mother dying giving birth-- Violence & Gore 7/10 warriors is very violent and disturbing (SPOILERS) many characters die, Firestar, one of the most beloved characters die in the last book, in one book, several cats die burned when the forest sets on fire, scourge mauls a villain alive, this is very disturbing, a mother gives birth to kits and dies bloodily, a mother accidentally cannibalizes her kits, in the final book many cats die-- Profanity 1/10 very mild, some animal themed insults-- Alcohol/Drug Use 1/10 uses of catnip-- Frightening/Intense Images 8/10 this series is very emotional, violent and unsettling even though it is my fav series ever... The most disturbing books to me are Forest of Secrets, The Darkest Hour and A Dangerous Path-- this is my fav series because it is fun, emotional and takes risks, 8 and up but maybe for some 10 and up, due to all the thematic elements, there is also some sexual content but nothing too bad
Teen, 13 years old Written byWildAnatolian July 2, 2013

Warrior Cats

This series is AMAZING, by all means read it. Erin hunter created the cat world so vividly, but created the cats with the feelings and personalities that humans experience. The visual descriptions are great, she really paints a picture in your mind, the cats also come up with language that describes the world around them from their point of view. For example, a road is, in cat speech, a Thunderpath, and humans are known to the four clans of warrior cats as simply "Twolegs" The writing and interactions between the characters in the first four series' is phenomenal, as is the storyline. Although in "Dawn of the clans", the most recent series the dialogue is a bit cheesy, the overall story is enthralling, exciting and engaging. This series will turn kids that hate to read dragging parents off to the library for the next installment!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKitten-Nerd_11 November 14, 2015

Incredible series, but...

I have been reading this series since I was eleven, and I have always found these books really interesting to read and analyze. However, when I introduced my brother, nine, to this series, he got emotional at a famine scene (which aren't uncommon). He never continued the series. Also, there are some themes and significant events in the series that have lots of meaning and depth, such as SPOILERS: Hollyleaf's insanity, Clear Sky's development, the reasons behind Ashfur's actions, etc. I feel younger children won't be able to appreciate the significance of these events. They might not be able to handle the violence, which there is plenty of. There are even some disturbing scenes, such as when a dying mother disowns her own son, leaving him heartbroken about the actions he committed in the past, an antagonist bleeding to death nine times over, a character getting mauled by dogs, (many) grieving scenes, and a pregnant character being kidnapped by slightly perverted tomcats (who go on to lick her cheek), etc. There are plenty more. The series also deals with racism, religious beliefs clashing, and romance. The characters are mostly good role models, but they do make some mistakes. One protagonist runs away with her forbidden mate, and gets herself pregnant. There is nothing explicit though, at least along that line. Another character rejects his son, who was still a kitten at the time. However, they (sort of) reconcile later in the series. There are many, many, characters, so that may be confusing for young kids. Also, there are plenty of inconsistencies in the books, mostly involving looks, but also involving stuff such as timeline inconsistencies, identity inconsistencies, personality inconsistencies, and plotline inconsistencies. For example, Moth Flight's Vision, the (currently) most recent book, kind of forgot about Clear Sky's redemption, and turned him from an anti-hero back to an anti-villain. That's the one thing about this series that I don't like. It can also be annoying when they kill off background characters during various timeskips, and no one ever remembers them again. (Examplecat died from illness a few months ago, the end). Otherwise, this is a great series, and I highly recommend it to tweens who can handle it.
Kid, 10 years old January 10, 2013

Awesome

Great book! Firestar rules!
Teen, 13 years old Written byXxIceshadowxX May 15, 2014

Best series ever

This is probably the most amazing series ever. When I was in 5th grade Someone recommended this book to me. After about 5 pages, I was totally into it. By now I have read every single book in the series (there are like 50 XD) and i'm still a huge fan (my favorite characters are Ivypool, Dovewing, Leafpool, and Lionblaze) Now that I have talked about how much I love it, I will actually tell you about the series. Warriors isn't as childish as you would think. There is a lot of violence in this series (8.5/10). The cats will fight, sometimes to the death. Mostly the minor characters die in battles though. Most of the major characters will die horrible deaths, including being torn to shreds by dogs, falling of a cliff, Loosing too much blood while giving birth, being bitten by one of the worlds most venomous snakes, being slowly killed by evil dead cats while your sleeping, and many more. There is more to warriors then just battles and deaths though. There are amazing quests, adventures, mysteries, and prophecies! There is also lots of romance, including forbidden couples, and cats jealous of others (6/10). This series is amazing and I totally recommend that you read it :D
Teen, 17 years old Written byJumbofluff November 3, 2013

Don't just let them read this- give it a moment first.

Warriors is an engaging series and an awesome read. However, there is a lot of character death and a lot of tear-jerking scenes. Warriors tends to focus around forbidden relationships (Crowfeather x Leafpool, for example) so there is a romantic element that may be inappropriate. The cats in Thunderclan (the clan that the series is focused on) are good role models if they're not corrupt or anything. There's really only cat-centered language (fox-dung, mouse-brain, nothing serious) that aren't offensive in human terms. However, the series DOES include violent content like: *War (in detail) *Character Death (again, really sad, very tear-jerking) *Blood + Gore (a lot of it) *Child (cat?) abuse (For all of the warriors fans out there: Brokenstar) Summary: Warriors is an amazing series but you might want to consider your child's maturity and be prepared to comfort them about the books.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFezesAreCool January 27, 2013

Great series is not as childish as you may think, 10+

This series is really good. I started reading them when I was 9 or 10 and, I will admit, still do. Despite being about cats these books are not at all childish. There are battles, they describe injuries (not in great detail). Kittens are born but there is no sex. There's no language except cat-specific insults (mouse-brain, piece of fox dung etc.). I recommend these to anyone 10 and up.
Kid, 11 years old January 18, 2013

A Must Read!

The Warriors series is my favorite series. It's about cats. It has drama and fights, but that's what makes the books their best! I personally don't like cats very much, but when I started reading this series, it pulled me into their world. I felt like I was running and hunting with the cats. I felt like I was a cat myself. So trust me, start reading this series. Erin Hunter also made two other series. Seekers and Survivors. Seekers is about bears. Survivors are about dogs. Hope this review was helpful!
Kid, 11 years old July 16, 2013

Awesome series, a must read

I love the Warriors series! Amazing books written by Erin Hunter. I have become so attached to the books I cry when a semi-main/main character dies! I love the books, and I think it really sparked my love of cats.
Kid, 11 years old March 31, 2013

Warriors

These books have low level violence between cats but have some good role models. It also discourages war which will send out good messages to kids.
Kid, 11 years old October 7, 2013

PLEASE READ WARRIORS!

So far the most violent death I have ever read is the death of hawkfrost in the new prophecy the last book Sunset: pgs. 290-299 featuring Firestar, Thunder Clan's Leader, trapped in a fox trap (metal ring that tightens when something touches it.) Hawkfrost tells Brambleclaw to tighten it, taking his remaining 6 lives. Brambleclaw refuses and tries to take it off (removing the stick holding it in the ground.) Hawkfrost attacks and them stick accidently goes in his throat. He then dies. I still suggest reading it though u might wanna go over some of the paragraphs with ur child. The book teaches about some valuable herbs and their uses. Many noble clan leaders are what kids look up to. Positive message: Respect each other and don't let things get u down. ;) PLEASE READ WARRIORS!
Parent Written byChoose Movement February 20, 2013

Warriors

Really good book more like 50 stars
Kid, 12 years old August 31, 2013

Great Books

Meet Rusty, a kittypet who dreams of roaming the forest as a wild cat. When he granted the opportuinity from some actually wild cats, will he except? Throughout the series we join Firestar, and his adventures of adapting to Clan life. He has to deal with bullying because of his roots. He can teach children that people may bully you for being different, you can make yourself strong. We also join ThunderClan, the POV Clan. I must say, there is lots of death and adult themes, yet nothing is too graphic for anyone under 9-10. The main topic is survival in these books, with hints of fantasy, romance, action, and really every other genre. Maybe except a few. I personally also dislike how dogs and humans are portrayed as evil, and cat killers. I am a big dog lunatic, so I was rather disapointed about this. I can see over it though. I still gave it a 5 rating, considering these books are some of my favourites. I do hope you give these books a chance. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written bypikachurocks343 July 28, 2013

I've finished this series and I still love it. Need Tallstar's Revenge and can't wait for more Dawn of the Clan books!

I love this series! It does have violence in it but it doesn't say anything like their guts are pulled out or anything too gruesome as that. And it does say that some cats are mates and have kits but it doesn't actually refer to anything sex related like HOW they have the kits and such. I think this series is appropriate for somewhere near 10 and up, but if you really love cats so much you can't bear to see them die (I'm like that but I still love this series) then I don't recommend this series for you. But besides that, it's a great series and I totally recommend it!
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpeckledDeer November 9, 2014

Great series!

This is a great series! I love it! I'd say probably best for 10 and up, maybe 9 if you're a little more mature. There is a LOT of violence! Cat fights involving tons of blood, death, etc. There are usually good morals and messages that make up for it, though. No sex really, though cats do get pregnant but the reasons are never mentioned, except for things like "it was an accident".
Kid, 11 years old July 17, 2013

FANTASTIC I AM A MEGAFAN!

This my favorite series! I have been a fan since I was 8 and I am still eagerly awaiting the next book! It is kind of violent, though. If you are not good with violence against animals you should not read this. Normally I don't like animal violence, but since the cats are like people in these books I don't mind it as much.
Kid, 10 years old May 14, 2014

Warriors ROCK!!!!!

Warriors is a fantasy series about a group of feral cats. The only reason I am. Hitting the violence button is because they have battles. Not deep in detail, and no pics unless reading manga. The one leader, Firestar, is part of my username. I love these books! They are my favorite series! It has positive role models, educational value, and good messages. These books are not meant for sensitive cat people though. They have cats dying, so if you can't handle a cat dying, don't read these books.
Kid, 10 years old June 11, 2013

Best series ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Warriors series is my favorite! The main character is a gingerish cat called Firepaw. Through the books, Firepaw's name changes. There are kittens being born, no sex. It is a little violent but not too much. The Warriors, I would recommend to people who like adventure, magic and a bit of violence. Not very suitable for 8 year olds or under. This book would be mostly for Tweens. The first chapter gets you hooked. Erin Hunter (the author) has 2 other series like the Warriors. The Seekers and The Survivors. The Cats have different clans. The Shadowclan,the Riverclan, the Starclan, the Windclan, the Skyclan and the Thunderclan. I recommend this series for 10 year olds and up. :)
Educator and Parent Written bybravewarrior43 February 6, 2013

Long time read

I started reading this series a while ago and enjoyed it.