Parent reviews for Warriors Series

Cat clans mirror human issues in exciting fantasy saga.

Wondering if Warriors Series is OK for your kids?

Parents: Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations.

Join Plus now

Parent Written byTara B. November 22, 2017

Spurs discussion about the current political climate and social norms

When my son turned 7 we realized that the bedtime books that we were reading to him were short and not very sophisticated. We decided to get into chapter books. I was at a bookstore in Los Angeles when I saw the Warriors books on display. My son and I were both attracted to the cover because it had a cat on it and we were sold. We are both huge cat lovers. We were so excited to start the book but about a few pages in there was a battle and a cat was hurt and my son started to sob. He was really upset that a cat was hurt. I felt like I really messed up because I didn't screen the book and I didn't know he would have this kind of reaction. We had a conversation about outdoor cats and territories and fighting. We watched a documentary about cat behavior. I also read ahead to see what the story was like and read him a couple of passages that didn't include any fighting. Ever since he has been hooked. The battle scenes and even death scenes don't bother him although I have shed some tears when clan members have passed and also when some have risen the ranks. :) We have really in-depth conversations about society and social structure and try and predict what will happen next. Unprompted my son even compared the current president to TigerStar :) We are just finishing up the final book of the first series and my son can't wait for The New Prophecy. He also found the Warriors app for his iPad and is looking at the maps and read the warrior code. It's a wonderful series and we hope they make a movie or even a TV series.

Adult Written byFlufballs January 7, 2015

Amazing

Hello readers,
You may think that warriors is a gory book with all sorts of guts and blood, but once you get into it it's about cats trying to survive and I thing it is appropriate for a 7+ child! The good thing about this book is that it is for children and teenagers, and meaning they will not grow out of it.
Written by crystal collinge y6

Adult Written bySinead B. April 3, 2018

My Opinion On Warrior Cats

I'm 18 years old, I started reading this in grade 5/6 I've loved it since then & can't wait to keep reading it. I also get the feeling when I read the books I'm diving into the world of the clan cats, & that I'm a warrior it's self I'm a thunderclan she-cat all the way. I think in my past life I was a cat, considering how much my friends laugh at my obsession of it but they have there interests I have mine & I'm cool with it. Despite all the blood, violence, betrayal in this series I can see where all the characters are coming from. 90% of the villian's in the series had a terrible childhood that forced them to the see the world in a certain way, why should they feel sorry for there enemies if they didn't care about them. Even though it's wrong of them I feel sorry for them unless they hurt someone I care about in the series, like Firestar, Hollyleaf, Spottedleaf & Jayfeather the last one is still around but hes dealing with disowenment, distrust (from other clans) & the fact others are judging bc hes blind. know wander hes grumpy all the time. (jayfeatherXhalfmoon all the way).. Thumbs up if you guys agree. :)
Adult Written bymaizey623 April 22, 2019

Really Great, Actually

Okay, so I started reading these when I was in middle school, and I'm 18 now. I loved them all through middle school and was just absolutely obsessed. They were so good. Recently, I found one of these books from middle school in my house and read some parts. And I realized that I still love them. They are quite easy reads to me now, obviously, but they're still interesting and really good. I would, although, recommend these books to kids who are more advanced in reading. Some words may not be easily comprehended or understood, so there is that warning. But other than that, they are a great read.
Adult Written bybeaniebooisland August 9, 2016

The Best!

This is the best book series ever! Also TDSplays you are wrong
Parent Written byChoose Movement February 20, 2013

Warriors

Really good book more like 50 stars

Adult Written byLove_Hamilton December 25, 2020

Its AMAZING. I will explain why its ages +8. Its not because of violence. Read the review.

I would definitely say a 5+ on these series. The only reason I didn't put it up there is because parts will be boring for them. So, i suggest +8 if you really want ur child to get into it. There is DEATH, and sometimes it is really SAD. Scenes with dog-clawed cats and evil badgers. But this is a great series. I SAY THE SAME for the new prophecy, omen of the stars, power of three, and the other ones. It is just AMAZING AND NOTHING ELSE. The reason i say it may bore some is during some GREAT role model scenes that are actually kind of my FAVORITE. They are when the warriors are calm at camp, with scenes like Fireheart (now Firestar) when he is a deputy, going through clan life; checking on newborn kits, announcing new warriors, assigning patrols. There are also exciting battles and sad deaths, but its not bad. In conclusion, its A GREAT SERIES WITH A BIT OF VIOlENCE, BUT IT DEFINITLY MAKES UP FOR IT WITH GOOD ROLE MODELS, EDUCATIONAL VALUE AND GREAT MESSAGES, and more.

Now here are some of the worst scenes, in order of books in series one.
*When Lionheart dies, it is sad.
*When the rats attack and Bluestar loses a life.
*When Tigerclaw is standing over Fireheart in the finale of book 1.
*When Fireheart finds out about his friends affair with Silverstream.
*When Cinderpaw gets injured by a car
When Fireheart goes against his leader and deputy to help feed RiverClan.
*When Silverstream dies bearing her kits.
*When Graystripe, Silverstream's mate, goes to RiverClan with the kits.
*When Tigerclaw betrays the clan and tries to kill Bluestar.
*When Bluestar gets mentally injured and begins to lose faith in all and even the warrior code after Tigerclaw betrays her.
*When Bluestar declares battle of WindClan and Fireheart decides to help WindClan.
*When Tigerclaw becomes leader of ShadowClan
*When the dogs attack
*When Brightpaw is mauled by dogs.
*When an eagle carries away a deaf kit.
*When Bluestar dies falling off a cliff with the dogs.
*When Bluestar meets her kits for the first time.
*When Spottedleaf dies (this was in book 1, it shouldve been before this)
*When the fire destroys the camp and Yellowfang dies.
*When Fireheart becomes leader, newly named Firestar.
*When Tigerclaw creates TigerClan with RiverClans help
*When Scourge attacks Tigerclaw
*When Scourge leads his warriors on ThunderClan
This is in series 1 only. But you get the idea. its violent, but not very gory (usually) and it has good role models and messages.

Adult Written byKwkwowowow August 2, 2020

It's so good

I found that my child loves this book, he reads every single book, warriors is about cats that survive in the wild and have conflicts against bad cats and fight each other, this series is fun and awsome

Adult Written byJOMAMA21 April 20, 2020

This series is pure amazing and a work of art

This is an amazing series and I highly recommend it whether you are a cat lover or not, but there is a lot of deaths, killing, and they do describe how bloody some battles are. But it is pure amazing!

Adult Written byJack9 March 21, 2020

MY FAVORITE SERIES!!

it's amazing! it's gory! it's sad! it's got death, battles, cats, it's about 4 clans, thunderclan, riverclan, windclan, shadowclan, and 1 spirt clan starclan, and in firestar's clan there is skyclan, it's not all about cute cats either. it's everything i've been lookin for in an book. firestar, graystripe, scourge, ravenpaw, sandstorm, crookedstar and tallstar are my favs, i'd not reccomend to sensitive children, or kids under the age of 7. because of death, battles, other then that, IT'S THE BEST! YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD FOR IT, i have: firestar's quest, bluestar's prophecy, squirrelflight's hope, ravenpaw's path, graystripe's adventure, rise of scourge, into the wild, fire and ice, forest of secret's, silent thaw, (i have all book's in arc 1) moonrise, midnight, dawn, i am an HUGEEE!!! FAN!! i have cried an few time's, as i'm an bit sensitve. this is an great series for an christmas present or an birthday, but once you pick it up you can't stop, it's so good, i reccomend this to over 7 year olds, non-sensitive, animal lovers maybe, you should... READ NOW, it's even educational

Adult Written by0Starlight January 22, 2020

Banned from local schools but okay for mature kids

These books were banned from our local schools up until eighth graders and up for violence and such. It’s good for mature kids but it needs explaining if bad behaviors show up that the books are fictional and so on. It has good storylines and positive things.

But it was banned in my nearby schools for elementary kids pretending to be cats and hurting each other which is why explaining to your kids that they shouldn’t replicate anything they read is important. Otherwise they are a good way to keep your kids reading and interested in books.

Adult Written byOrganizationFourteen October 16, 2019

Gets Kids Interested In Reading

I read these books in elementary and I kept reading books because of them. I had a reading level of a high schooler in 8th grade. These books are great and give kids an interest in reading and makes them more creative.

Parent of a 10-year-old Written byburgundydog May 12, 2019

Animal lovers read this!

Warriors is a book series that engages the young reader. According to my daughter, who began reading this series at age 9, "it brings you into another world." She loves that it has animals and that each book ends with a cliffhanger leaving her wanting to read more! The energy in the battles makes it very interesting.

Adult Written bylorliy September 3, 2018

Awesome and great books!

I think it's a great book series, but not for kids under 8. This is because it has some blood, and death, but not in great detail or anything. There is no swearing, and they have the cat version for heaven and hell. Over all 5 stars!

Adult Written byIkykittykat07 July 22, 2018

Awsome

Before i started reading these in school i would never read at home. When i started to read these i was into it imedeatly.

Adult Written byScarlett L. May 18, 2018

Amazing!

This is a book for kids around 7+, as it does contain scenes of violence and death, with a lot of drama and theatrical components, but the story lines are very well written and planned. It's no surprise that these books are so popular! You can really connect with the characters and be placed into their world, and you can really get intrigued and actually learn a lot about social life and learn a few life lessons while reading. Cats are relatable, and you really do get attached to many of them. Would not recommend for younger children, as it does contain scenes of violence with cats fighting and killing one another, but definitely suitable for kids and young adults! (I would even recommend some adults to read it)

Adult Written byArtemis N. April 30, 2018

An Amazing Series

I first started reading the Warriors Series when I was in elementary school, it was probably the book that really got me into reading. There is violence, but the violence is tame compared to what many kids are already watching or reading (from comics, video games and movies). The story telling, while simple at times, is still compelling, you get attached to characters and their plights, and the way that the cats society mirrors human society can offer talking points to educate your kids. Even more, it's a great series to help get your kids into reading more.

Parent Written byKesa F. February 5, 2018

Wonderful, engaging series!

My child is a storyteller, and loves imaginative play. She also loves animals and this series was right up her alley. The Clans are very close-knit like families, and they sometimes get along with one another and they sometimes don't, like real families. The cats live in the 'wild' with defined territories so have to defend that territory against others trying to attack them or steal their pray. Alliances come and go. Some cats have not so great intentions and others are heroes.

I think it adds an element of edge because it's also a story about survival, friendship, family and perserverence in the face of loss and celebrating the good things in life.

It does have quite a bit of animal violence. If your child is sensitive to violence and/or animal violence, you may want to only try out a couple of books before you buy the entire series. I recommend this for a mature 8 year old, but average 10 and up.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byjustoffgreenwic... December 31, 2017

#AWESOME SO READ IT

dont listen to the people who say its bad I was 8 when I started reading it and I 9 now waiting for the next book so it takes some time to read. it may describe some parts a little to much (part with cats throat being ripped out...) for yunger kids but still ead it no matter what

Adult Written byLola B. October 26, 2017

Excellent

I think the series are under-rated. It is truly interesting, engaging, and fun. There is a lot of action that happens in the books but I feel it is a good way for kids to learn how to manage in a violent or aggressive situation. The series teaches a lot about honesty, courage, and what is doing right, plus so much more. I recommend this series to any child. The books were really interesting, fun, and quick to read.