Kid reviews for We Are Not from Here

We Are Not from Here Poster Image

Based on 1 review

A must read for teenagers and young adults

Three teenagers from Guatemala go on a journey to the United States for a new life. Their life in Guatemala is very dangerous and Pulga, Penquna, and Chico decide that it is too dangerous to stay. ​I don’t usually like reading, and I have a hard time reading​, but this book definitely kept me coming back to read more. It made me want to read more with each page. ​It grabs your attention with great characters that you can feel for; furthermore, it really captures the characters' thoughts with monologues that are very detailed​. The author definitely did her research when writing this book. It almost makes you feel like you’re on the adventure with them. I read this book as an assignment in my 10th grade English class and I think it was a good fit for that class. The class consisted of 15 and 16 year olds and I think the book was appropriate for our age group. I think that most of the people in our class liked it and I would definitely recommend it to people in my age group or above. ​When we discussed the book as a class, there were some adult themes but it’s nothing that our class couldn’t handle and it was never something that was uncomfortable to talk about. “The cold of the desert night numbs my fingers and feet. It numbs the hot throb in my shoulder. I take a deep, huffing breaths to numb everything—my lungs, my insides, my heart.” This quote shows the detail of writing about how the characters feel. The book really captures Penquna and Pulga’s emotions. Overall I enjoyed this book, a great story and even greater characters kept my attention until the end. I gave this book a 4 out of 5 because it was a really good book that kept my attention but it's not a 5 because there were some plot points that weren’t used to the extent that I wanted it to be. Overall I enjoyed it very well and I would recommend it to high school students and young adults.

thrilling, enticing, yet easy

I am a 15 year old boy and I really love this book. It is a great read for anyone who is trying to understand real-world situations in less fortunate parts of the world. When many see the United States from the inside, they never venture outwards, making the struggles of migrants unknown to many. The book does not gloss over violence or difficulties, but rather plays into them, with unique yet unmatched writing tactics to ensure that readers of many different levels can understand. It kept me involved through sad and painful topics via the great writing of Jenny Torres Sanchez. Pulga, one of the main characters states, “Maybe it means you feel things you wish you didn’t. Maybe it means that when you see blood on concrete, you can’t stop wondering who it belonged to. Maybe it means a part of you wants to cry and run.” The captivation and realism that this book offers made me respect people around the world silently struggling and made me very thankful for the life I currently live. I don’t have to encounter the cruelty that these characters go through, nor do I encounter the traumatic, life-changing events depicted in this book. This opened my eyes to problems around the world, and even here in the United States. Finally, if you are interested in a book that grabs your attention at every page with great writing and storytelling, you’ve come to the right place.

A Great Read for Teens

We Are Not From Here is a very interesting read from the author Jenny Torres Sanchez. Sanchez talks about the life of three teens, Pulga, Pequena and Chico fleeing from Guatemala to the United States to gain safety. We Are Not From Here is a solid four and a half stars. I first started reading We Are Not From Here beginning of my sophomore year. Because We Are Not From Here gives a great amount of detail,it can make you tear up at points from passages like this: “My eyes fill with tears that flow no matter how much I don't want them to. I don’t want to think of her, back home, staring at the ceiling, thinking of me. Wondering how I could leave her.” This quote is from when one of the main characters is talking about having to leave his mother. The book also gives a great amount of detail about the journey from Central America to the United States and did not hold anything back. We Are Not From Here is a great book; however, it is not for young kids because it focuses on adult topics such as violence, crime, rape and teen pregnancy. I would suggest this book for highschoolers who don’t read, but want to start reading. It's an easy read for teens of the ages fifteen and sixteen, but beware it does have very strong language. We Are Not From Here is also a great book for young adults wanting to learn more about life and the journey from Central American countries to the United States.

A Book to Put on Your List

I am 15 years old and a sophomore in high school. I think We Are Not From Here is an amazing book for my high school level. In my English 2 class, we had many different discussions about the meaning of this novel and how the meaning is important to life right now. As we began talking about the novel, the conversation flowed easily because of all the content of each part. Each part of the story has so many incredible subtopics that can be built off of. Reading for me is normally a chore, but this book had my attention and made me want to keep reading with each page. The three main characters have a special bond that can only be made through a tough experience. For example “Pulga takes a step back, pulling Chico with one hand while he keeps the other one in the air”. Their past life in their home town in Guatemala was torturous and through the novel, they seek a new life in America. The basis of the story is a common problem in today’s society, so the book definitely addresses the issues at hand in a fiction setting. Sanchez definitely did extensive research on this topic and did a phenomenal job writing about the struggle of adolescents trying to escape their rough life in South America. After reading this book, I have a much better understanding of the struggle to enter this country. I would definitely recommend this book to my peers and even adults in my life.

The Immigrant Hate U Give

I read the novel “We Are Not From Here” by Jenny Torres Sanchez in my 10th grade English 2 class. From the very first page of the book I was drawn to it. The first page talks about this little boy named Pulga and how his mom would tell him he had an “artist heart.” Pulga didn’t know what that meant, but the last paragraph of the first page says “Or maybe it means you feel things you wish you didn’t. Maybe it means that when you see blood on concrete, you can’t stop wondering who it belonged to. Maybe it means a part of you wants to cry and run.” That paragraph really stuck out to me because this book represents the long, critical journey of these kids trying to immigrate to America, and I didn’t understand how this related to the story. Sanchez expresses Pulga’s and the others' emotions really well, and makes it feel like you are with them. Their journey to America definitely explains Pulga and his “artist heart.” Though this book expresses Pulga’s emotions and his “artist heart,” it also takes you along the immigration journey. The immigration story is very accurate on the problem of immigration, and expresses the journey people take to America well. Throughout this whole book there are many lessons to take away from, but also education on kids and adults on their immigration story. This novel is not only to take you along Pulga and Penquena’s journey but to educate and make people aware of immigration and people’s dangerous journey. I would recommend this book to high school and maybe even middle school students to read and educate themselves on the problem of immigration. Finally, I would recommend this book for adults to read so they can be educated and aware of the dangerous journey people go through.

Thrilling story

I am a fifteen year old sophomore, and I had to read this book as my quarter one book. As soon as I started reading the book, I was attached to it. I give this book 5 stars because this novel changed my way of thinking about an immigrant, the struggles he or she goes through. This work of words was about an immigrant's journey to the United states. The author Jenny Torres Sanchez did an excellent job of giving every detail about the obstacles and how they overcome it and presenting someone's feelings through words. One example is this where the author portrays one of the main characters feelings; “Anytime I sink my teeth into a slice of watermelon, I think of him. The aftertaste of iron lingers, no matter how sweet the fruit- as if I were eating the watermelon off the street laced with the blood from that day”. In this part the main character is recollecting some bad memories after a tragic incident that happens which changes his life. I would say that this narrative has changed my perspective on why immigrants are actually immigrants, what their life story is and how they have managed to come to a new place and adapt to this new way of life. If anyone wants to learn about people who go through and overcome their obstacles and adapt to a different life this book is for you. Finally, this book has taught me how to look at things from a different point of view.

We Are Not From Here is an Amazing Book!

I read this book in my 10th grade English class and it was great. I liked this book because it gave realistic accounts about the character’s journey. Since the author has connections to immigration in her family, she was able to put personal insight. The book was mixed with fantasy full of the character’s thoughts and feelings and things they went through every day. The book showed the importance of human connection with the internal dialogue of the characters and how they were also going through so many traumatic experiences at once. “We are small people, with small names, meant to live small lives. That’s all we’re allowed to live. That’s all the world wants us to live. But sometimes, even that, even that, it won’t give us. Instead the world wants to crush us.” This quote is from the character Pequeña, who was dealing with an internal crisis at the time and felt she was being forced to live a certain life. We are also given the characters’ backstories and lives before they even start their trip, which makes us feel closer to them even though they are fictional. The characters feel like real people, probably because there are thousands of people doing the same trip as them. I liked that it showed how the characters were feeling, it is obvious a lot of research went into this book and it really pays off. There is plenty of inappropriate language and context you should be aware of, but this makes the story more realistic and sets the tone. Anyone interested in emotional but telling stories would love this book.

Captivating Novel That Tells the Story of Immigration

We Are Not From Here is a fascinating book that draws in the reader’s attention from the very beginning. I rate this book a four out of five stars for its ability to accurately represent a story that is so difficult to be told of immigrating to a different country and showing the characters’ emotions in a real way. As a 10th grade student in high school, I would strongly encourage kids in my age group and above to give this book a try. The story of immigration is not one that is often told in such a moving way without a first hand experience. However, Jenny Torres Sanchez tells this story so well. Even though the story is well laid out and shows a real depiction of events that would occur in real life, I feel as though the plot dies out towards the end. The ending gets repetitive and sometimes even confusing. However, this could be Sanchez trying to convey how the characters felt towards the end of the book. Sanchez includes many details about how the characters feel about their journey, and that's what makes this book seem like the experience is so real. Something that I appreciated about her writing was that she repeated important phrases to get a point across. For example, when she is describing their brutal journey she says, “And you know. You know. You know.” In my opinion, this book is for people who would like to learn more about what immigrants go through before, during, and after they leave their country.

A Trio's Journey

We Are Not From Here is an incredibly detailed, heart melting, and somewhat explicit novel. It tells the story of a trio immigrating from their rough town in Guatemala to America in order to escape the dangers of their hometown. I am 15 years old, and I had to read this novel for a class discussion. I was surprised to finally have a book assigned that I was always excited to read. Through their journey there are heartwarming and heartbreaking moments which make the story captivating and exciting, making you want to know what happens on the next page. The characters go through hardships in this novel, pushing through every passing moment no matter how tough the situation is. As one of the Main characters, Pulga, states in chapter one “What I need is a heart of steel, a heart that is cold and hard and numb to the thorny pricks of pain, the slashes of tragedy”. The book was informative and captivating and changed my point of view on immigrants, which was heavily influenced by media outlets before. It brings you through the journey of Pulga, Pequena, and Chico who run from danger, face their fears, make quick life changing decisions, and deal with the constant guilt of their past decisions. Because they were on a dangerous journey, they meet both kind and evil people and have to decide who to trust, making them paranoid and thinking of every possible situation. Also, the book does have explicit content such as cursing and briefly mentioning sexual assault. This book brings into perspective the amount of effort and preparation it really takes to immigrate from one country to another and would be great for anyone wanting to educate themselves as well as read an action-packed novel.

We are Not From Here is a Buy.

We are not From Here is a book about three teens Pulga, Pequena, and Chico who leave their home in Guatemala to cross the border. In the story, Pulga, Pequena, and Chico face violence in their home town. Therefore, they chose to leave and seek a better life. My entire English class read this book, and we were all impressed by Jenny Torres Sanches’s writing style. Sanches writes with a mature writing style that younger children may not be able to understand. That being said I highly recommend that you do not let children below the age of 14 read this. The book contains mildly sexual material that is inappropriate for children. The book also shows violence in their hometown and on their journey to the border of the US. I deeply enjoyed this book because it portrayed what goes on in Mexico and the struggles that people face in third world countries. My favorite quote is from Pequena’s perspective in which she says, “With each step, it feels like we’re in deeper and deeper into some kind of dark maze.” I like this quote because it is only a portion of the amount that these kids struggled in the book. If reading this quote gave you chills, then you are in for a roller coaster of emotions while reading this book.