All parent member reviews for When You Reach Me

Parent of a 11 year old Written byrobinpeggy August 24, 2009

Evocative, stunning writing -- should be a classic

My daughter loved this book so much I read it too. Wonderfully written, suspenseful, mysterious. A terrific heroine who lives in a slightly dangerous urban neighborhood. Her mother particularly came alive for me.
Parent of an infant, 6, and 8 year old Written byMomma comma July 15, 2013

Good

I am just starting but I have noticed positive role models and a mention of honey-obits,Oreos, Hershey's kisses, 20000 dollar pyramid. Not done with the book yet. There is a dentist scene at school for kids who can't afford dentistry. A kid does get punched. Plus, she lives in a slightly dangerous neighborhood, with a homeless man. She also talked to strangers. A good role model. Her mom and her boyfriend compliment each other.
Educator Written bysixthgradefun April 2, 2016

Fabulous quick read

This is a great book for middle school kids. It's short, quick, and a bit suspenseful. You have to figure the story out as it goes, and I particularly liked the non-cliche plot line. The characters are honest and realistic. It's worth your time, especially if you liked Stead's other novels.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bykyliehut September 10, 2015

I learned a lesson from this

This book taught me a lesson to read the parent reviews on this site in addition to the site's own rating. My nine year old is listening to an audio version of this book and enjoying it, but it is also scaring her in some sections. I now notice that parents have rated it for 11+ so next time I'll read a bit more carefully.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byBAJH February 20, 2013

awesome read

Great read out loud, make you think book. May be difficult for younger children to grasp the concept.
Parent Written byAutumn2003 April 16, 2012

Cool Time Travel!!!!!!!!

I think that this book is a great book for older kids. I am 8 and this book was one of my favorite books. It excites you more with each chapter. In the end the whole story ties together, it all makes sense for every bit of the story. I have read many, many books and I have never encountered one like this. This book I never wanted to put down. At bedtime sometimes all I would think about was the mysteries in this book. This book is advanced and might be confusing for kids under 10 because of the content. It has phrases that might make you ponder and that younger kids might not understand. It has some iffy content though. In one part, Miranda and Colin kiss and one of Marcus's friends yells "What the h-!@#". There is also some violence that may get intense. But otherwise this book is a five star story!!!!
Parent of a 4, 9, and 10 year old Written bymockingbird72 October 31, 2010

Good intro to more mature topics for tweens

Great book. Gives realistic snapshot of life in NYC. Emphasis on being aware of your surroundings in the city. Some bullying a few quick kisses, brief episode of racism--bring my age rating up. Also, the sci-fi parts can be difficult to understand (more so than in A Wrinkle in Time).
Parent of a 9 year old Written byM iqbal February 2, 2010