Parent reviews for Where the Sidewalk Ends

Where the Sidewalk Ends Poster Image

fun!

One Of The Best!

Shel Silverstein is one of the best poets who has ever lived, bar none. His way with words and his wit are simply in a category all their own when it comes to writing this type of material. Of course, there have been other poets throughout history who have managed to write some incredible poems as well, but Shel is undoubtedly the most prolific author of modern poetry that I can think of. This collection is one of his two best, and if you're a fan of avant garde poetry then you will certainly love it. I do not recommend it, however, for very young children because some of the stories are a bit too avant garde. That said, if you're willing to pick and choose which of his material to read to your younger children then you'll be OK. Those past the age of 10 should be OK with any of his poems, and they will probably become a fan for life. Poetry is an art form which few have mastered, and Shel has few peers. At the same time do not miss out on the works, of Dr. Seuss, Skipping Across The Rainbow Sea by KT Iversen, and some of the poems by Ogden Nash and Jack Prelutsky.

Classic Awesomeness

Poetry is a great style of writing to include in bedtime or anytime reading, and this is a classic source. I find I'm trying to cut myself off to keep their bedtime, and end up reading 5 more with them. The sawtoothed snail that lives up children's noses worried my daughter (who's a nose picker), but was easily recovered. This book is good for adults too.