Parent reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Classic all-ages masterpiece has a wild imagination.

Parent of a 1, 10, 14, and 17-year-old Written bySystemOfANintendo September 24, 2010

One of the best children's books out there!

It's perfect for kids of all ages. This is an amazing book that you'll never outgrow.

Adult Written byjillianlovescats April 9, 2008

I read this in Elementary School!

Max is a good boy! He just wants to hang out with the Wild Things!
Parent of a 1-year-old Written byMischa A. May 29, 2021
Parent of a 4 and 5-year-old Written byDBRiggsFamily November 16, 2018

Scary for sensitive kids

We tried reading this when our kiddo was 3 but she was afraid of the monsters. Then we tried again when she was 4 but still afraid. I think this would be better for 5+ due to the monsters.

Parent of a 6-year-old Written byLJB80 August 21, 2018

Beautiful book

A beautiful story and pictures. Great to read with naughty kids, assuring them they are still loved.

Adult Written byMary Ellen L. August 16, 2017

Silly creatures to the rescue!

When our daughter, now grown, was very young she had trouble going to bed at night. She was afraid of the dark. We tried many different things to assure her that she need not fear the dark. I found this book at the library, and it did the trick! Reading about the silly creatures at bedtime reassured our daughter so that she was able to settle down enough to go to sleep. She and I had fun with this book, and it's still in our library, saved for future grandchildren.

Parent Written byboc7679 January 31, 2014

One of the greatest timeless calssic chidren's books

One of the greatest timeless calssic chidren's books of all time. A celebration of whimsy and childhood and above all imagination. Not to be missed.

Adult Written bybpam April 11, 2010

Good family lesson

This book should be shared by parents and children, so parents nurture a child's imagination, let them know that it's ok to get angry as long as we don't hurt anyone and that they are always loved unconditionally.

Adult Written byCSM Screen name... October 22, 2009
Parent of a 1 and 12-year-old Written bysomdays September 20, 2009

Fun story that opens to door to so many conversations

This is one of my all time favorite books from my childhood and I love reading it to my children and using it to teach in my classroom. Max is a character that many children can relate to and opens the door for teaching children responsible behavior as well as using their imaginations. In the end, the message of the story is one of family love.

Adult Written byrgoberg February 10, 2009

A wild adventure for all to enjoy!

Where the Wild Things Are brings an audience of all ages to a world of fantasy as author Maurice Sendak sends young Max on an adventure through reality and the imagination using keen simplicity in his words and unique energy in his illustrations. Hungry and fully dressed in his wolf suit, Max finds himself grounded to his room, after causing too much mischief around the house. The physical walls of the bedroom are of no restraint to the wild boy’s behavior as he turns his room into a thrilling world full of lush vines, deep blue oceans, and wild monsters. Max becomes wilder than all of the wild things and runs with the monsters making a rumpus through the land, until loosing interest in his untamed behavior by the thoughts of home. Sendak brings wild adventure for children and a lasting thought of home for all.
Parent of a 11, 15, 16, 18+, 18+, and 18+-year-old Written bysara King January 7, 2009

i love this book , my grand daughter has to have it read all the time

i am a mom and wife and a grand mother. love reading to my kids & grand kid also and i love to laugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love animals all kinds . i keep house and i am a christian . love people.
Adult Written bySpiff April 9, 2008
I thought that the monsters in the book might scare my 2 year old daughter, but she actually loved this book. A good message about a child who gets angry at his mother, but comes to find out how much they love each other.