Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Wonder

Moving tale of facially different boy with inner beauty.

Adult Written byChristy J December 13, 2013

Definitely worth it.

It is one of the most moving books I have read in a long time, and I am still pretty amazed at how the author wove so much complexity into a story for middle schoolers. It is the story of a boy with a genetic craniofacial deformity who has been homeschooled through fourth grade because of his frequent childhood surgeries. When the story begins his parents have decided they think he should go to school for the first time for fifth grade. The story covers his first year in school. It is told in first person, but the parts of the story are told (and in some cases retold) from several characters' viewpoints. The boy himself, his older sister, two of his friends from school, his sister's boyfriend, and his sister's friend take turns. Each narrator adds subtle new dimensions to the story. The theme of the book is that we can all choose kindness, and this theme is developed through amazingly honest and poignant portrayals of middle school and high school social dynamics and family dynamics. The author excels at showing not telling. It never feels preachy or overdone, or like an issue advocacy book. But the messages are there loud and clear: Being nice is not the same as being a friend, doing the right thing often costs you something but it's worth it, everyone has something to be grateful for, peer pressure makes you stupid, but it's never too late to change your course, we all need people who love us unconditionally. The book was convicting, laugh out loud funny, truthful, hopeful, and heart-warming. Because I know some people are have stricter standards than I have, here are all the things anyone might possibly want to be aware of before recommending it to a child: There are some gluteal-themed jokes revolving around the names of a teacher named Miss Butt and the principal Mr. Tushman. The word "sucks" is used a few times. A funny story involves the "farting nurse" who attended the main character's birth. A dog is put to sleep. One character briefly explains his views of reincarnation. It is mentioned that peripheral characters play Dungeons and Dragons at recess. There are repeated references to Star Wars characters and other popular culture items. Halloween is the main character's favorite holiday. Middle school students have crushes on each other and "go out" with each other. The fifteen-year-old sister has a boyfriend and it mentions him kissing her twice. There are two references (both by girls) to being flat-chested. A couple times girls are referred to as "hot." One character's father has been killed in the Iraq war. There is a brief mention of one character's divorced father getting married to his pregnant girlfriend, and another character's parents are divorced. There are a couple instances of copying homework and lying to teachers or parents with no repercussions. There are varying degrees of bullying depicted, some of which is pretty cruel. Overall, it had very positive portrayals of family, parents, authority figures, and young people. It was really thought-provoking and has so much fodder for fruitful discussion with upper elementary or middle school students. The book is so beautifully written that older students (and parents) can also really appreciate it too.

Adult Written byJAH123 June 7, 2012

Not to be missed

This is a faboulous book. Our family read it together (9 and 11 year olds) based on the recommendations of local book store owner. Auggie's story is told from several points of view which is very enlightening. Take home messages included, you can count on your parents even if things get tough, sometimes people make mistakes and deserve second chances, sometimes you just have to suck it up and endure and most importantly, in general, things change over time - particularly in middle school so that even when things seem their darkest, a better day is coming. We were all sad to see this book end and gave it to each of their teachers on the last day of school.

Adult Written bysixthgradefun March 25, 2013

From a middle school teacher

This book was a really refreshing read. It's up-to-date with popular references from the 2010s, and it has a way of drawing readers in so that each character is valued. The main character expresses his feelings--but the depth of the book comes from the perspectives of the other characters. The novel is written in a form where each chapter is by a different character, so the reader can examine the scenes from multiple viewpoints. The book has no foul language and minimal violence (some pushing), but it maintains positive role models throughout in the mother, the heartbreakingly honest sister, and a couple of kids at school. A must read--seriously!

Parent Written bytobiragon May 14, 2012

love it

Great book about empathy and acceptance. Good summer reading for middle schoolers!

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byread2advance August 22, 2012

Great first book Palacio!!!

My 12 year old and I read this book and loved it! The book is beautifully written and provides multiple kid's perspectives about a kid with a deformity. Very heartwarming! When we finished reading the book - my daughter immediately thought the book should be made into a movie.

Parent Written byCourtney S. October 16, 2017

Great Book: Change Words as You Read this Book Aloud

This books makes an excellent read aloud! I was able to read this book to my class while skipping the less wholesome language. The words "suck,' "freak," and "Jerks" were used, and I was able to quickly change those words to make the story a bit more wholesome for the children in my classroom. On occasion, characters take the Lord's name in vain. I certainly changed this wording as I read to my students and would recommend doing so to other parents as many families would be very offended by this sort of flippant use of God's name. The overall themes in Wonder offer excellent discussion and vital lessons on integrity such as: friendship, courage, character, kindness, strong integrity, and inclusion. I highly recommend this book as a read-aloud. Due to crude language, I won't be putting this book in my classroom library for independent reading. We have shared the mostly good content as an entire class as a read-aloud and thoroughly enjoyed the message of Wonder!

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byHydi K. November 21, 2017

Amazing messages for parents and kids

I'm actually amazed the stings are showing it as for 9/10 years okd. We need to teach acceptance of differences in young children . They may not get the message just by viewing m but the movie does an amazing job of bringing in mordern day pop culture like minecraft and Star Wars to Keep the kids engaged. It also shows how parents own discrimination and views get tricked down to kids. Your kindergarten student may have an Auggie in their class, and this movie opens up the dialogue about kindness and acceptance . The acting was phenomenal , and I loved seeing the movie from diff characters perspectives
Adult Written byDanielle G. August 10, 2016

It is good but...

I like this book because it shows how you have to be kind to others and what is in the inside counts. It teaches them to not be afraid or mean and give others a chance to show what they are like on the inside. It teaches them valuable life lessons. Butttt.... My experience was different because I do have a disorder and people are bullying me and leaving me out and this book makes me feel bad because no one treats me like that and after we read that book they still never learned from it and now I have depression and I am just a piece of dust.

Adult Written by[email protected] October 3, 2015

Book Review

Adult Written byCOW MAN BRAH September 12, 2015

...

meh.... it was okay i guess not really

Parent of an infant, 1, 4, 5, 7, and 8 year old Written bysilverstream August 5, 2015

This is a really good book

I love this book! Though, although it does have some violent parts, it is still a really good book. As they say, don't judge a book by its cover, you cannot choose how the cover looks like. Only who does design it can judge. Sometimes I even read it to my five-year-old at night. He absolutely loves it. I love it. I think I even read it too often because I just love it. The book is awesome. Who wouldn't agree that it is awesome? Auggie ends up being popular, while Julian ends up not-so-popular. I won't be friends with jerks! I acknowledge that this book should be read from ages eight and up, but it is just my opinion. This book is popular.

Parent of a 5, 8, and 12 year old Written byEmily55555 November 21, 2015

Please read this book

I hope everyone on the planet reads this book.

Adult Written bycsmrox July 8, 2015

My fav book ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing book for kids 9 and up!!! RJ Palacio tells this story in different perspectives which makes it sooooo good!!! This is also like the book Out of my Mind.

Parent Written bySlgada August 2, 2016

By far my favorite book! Everyone has to read this!! :)

Adult Written byi2soppimath May 31, 2015

The Best

This book about August cabn make you cry sometimes and laugh at others

Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byPapipower01 November 16, 2014

Inspiring story your kids will enjoy

My daughter brought this book home from middle school as assigned reading and she absolutely fell in love with the book. As she gave me a quick synopsis of the story, I was intrigued and curious to know exactly what had been assigned - so I read the book as well. What an inspiring story. It is ver moving and really does a lot to expand a child's insight into and sensitivity about what it is like to be different somehow from the mainstream and yet somehow still be like everyone else inside.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byKZMom November 2, 2013

A book everyone should read

This was a really great story that engaged everyone in my family including my 5 and 8 year old daughters. It was really fun to read and a lighthearted treatment of a tough subject. My 8 year old took away the book to read on her own because we weren't reading fast enough for her and she was really excited about the story.

Educational Value
Parent of an infant, 3, and 8 year old Written byBubbleMachine101 August 21, 2017

Awesome

Sweets LOVED THIS BOOK. She is pretending to be Summer now and uses the phrase "cool beans" all the time. I recommend it for kids anywhere from grade 2-7. Fabulous!

Adult Written byRonit S. October 2, 2016

Adult Written bywcarmich March 20, 2016

Powerful story

This is a great story that tells the story of Auggie, a boy with some physical deformities whose parents decide to enroll him in a formal school setting. This novel provides a variety of viewpoints of various characters showing complex relationships and real struggles.